Titration Competition (1 Viewer)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
jeez titration pracs HOW FUN OMG LET ME GO..

(not).
(and cheat by adding shitloads of indicator and diluting the solution) <<

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jm1234567890
DON'T enter!!!!

so tedious!!!!

they require you read 3+ decimal places
Wrong - they require you to read the burette as accurately as possible - which is to about the nearest half a scale division - ie + / - 0.05 mL. This gives you 4 sig fig in the volume, and so the concentration can be validly calculated to 4 sig fig.

You cannot read a burette to 3 dec pl.
Originally posted by Li0n
jeez titration pracs HOW FUN OMG LET ME GO..

(not).
(and cheat by adding shitloads of indicator and diluting the solution) <<
Adding extra indicator will decrease accuracy, so not a good idea. As for dilution, you only have limited equipment and time...

PS: If you aren't interested, don't compete, but please don't criticise those who do want to participate.

jimmik

HSC
can we still register? or is it too late? damn teacher forgot to tell us n now we're in the middle of exams i cant find her wen im free n she's only there wen ive got exams. ahhh

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jimmik
can we still register? or is it too late?
Registrations close sometime in late April - I can try to get a more accurate date, if anyone wants one.

The competition itself is on Saturday, June 19 at most centres.

Giant Lobster

HSC
wots titration? :mad:

schools letting yr 11s compete r psycho... wot if a yr 11 team wins? wot does that say about everyone else? wot... bah

scotty schaefer

Our school enters every year, this will be my second year doing it. I think ours is during a school day at Sydney Uni or UNSW. We did okay last year, our total error was way off because our third member got 50 000 and the other two of us got 4 and 50, but its all good, it's a great experience so if you haven't done it I really recommend it!!

xeriphic

apprently our whole class entered into the competition, though when we did the experiment in class it wasn't that successful

ki

hehe this should be fun... my skool is doing it at Sydney Uni

good luck everyone! :argue:

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
i think i'm in it, i'll check. just wondering, how strict is this competition? is it that each person must titrate individually but are allowed to talk with other team members? one member of our trio isn't too confident about it while another, my lab partner, is very accurate in experiments. can they do stuff for each other? and in the 90min, can you do one set at a time or do all 3 analysis have to be taken simultaneously?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
:'( i did my titration prac at usyd last wk... and it was horrible!!! HORRIBLE I TELL YA!!!! =( i was off by like, 0.05 or something ... *cries~~~ i am neva gonna be a chemist ='(

and worst of all, my demostrator was laughing at me :'(
*burst into tears~~~

Roobs

HSC
We just did ours today-- we were sitting on a wickid score of 26, but then the half colourblind guy in our group jaked us up to 170....guess we shoulda helped him more....

terms of strictness it seemed prety lax--i mean each perton has to swirl and work the burette themselves, but you can constantly confirr, and ask "has it changed yet", and you can "check" eachothers calculations..or get someone else to do them for u i guess if u have to...

the time goes by pretty quick when u try and be really accurate....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)