To all first year MATH1151 or ex-MATH1151 students... (1 Viewer)

snake1224

HSC
Hi again, here is another thread from me about MATH1151 :wave:

I guess most of you have already know that there's a lecture on O-week about "Introduction to Computing and Matlab"... however, I missed it :mad: I didn't even know there's this lecture until today... (I will learn from my mistake and not miss anything again in the future haha)

So to all of you who are doing MATH1151 or did MATH1151... is this lecture really that important? (well at least I think it is lol) Besides learning about how to use Matlab... what else did I miss? I read the booklet about doing an online test on the vista e-learning site... can someone please tell me more about it?

PLEASE suggest something that I should do right now to make up for what I missed... thanks~

P.S. Is there any MATH1151 students who missed it like me? My friend also missed it like me... Think we should all join up and try to find out + learn back what we missed? haha

Thanks for any reply~

T.Goodhew

Actuarial Co-op 06
HSC
Don't be too worried, the Actuarial Society of UNSW (ASOC) runs various support sessions for 1st and 2nd year students. In particular on the use of MATLAB and VBA also there are support sessions for MATH1151/MATH1251 you should visit the society website for more information http://asoc.unsw.edu.au

schmeichung

HSC
No lectures are important throughout my undergrad study (unless attandance is compulsory). It is more important to know how you can self-study efficiently and effectively. Go to consultation when you have problems during self-study.

snake1224

HSC
schmeichung said:
No lectures are important throughout my undergrad study (unless attandance is compulsory). It is more important to know how you can self-study efficiently and effectively. Go to consultation when you have problems during self-study.
So did you do MATH1151? Because I dun really think this lecture have anything to do with studying lol

Haha anyway thanks for the advice.

schmeichung

HSC
Yes I did MATH1151 and I can tell you that I was kind of struggling in MATH1151 & MATH1251. But then I managed to get all the exemptions before graduation, so don't be disheartened if your progress is not too well in your 1st year study.

In my opinion MATH1151, MATH1251 and even ACTL1001 do not truly reflect your ability to study actuarial.

cyl123

HSC
hey i was in the computing lecture

basically all that happened was the lecturer demonstrating to us on how to use matlab and creating a lab pass word. he only showed us elementary commands which you could just learn by yourself. This could all be done through elearning vista through math 1151 part.

Important notes from lecture:
Online quiz is on week 5
Lab test is on week 8
print the computing guide for math courses (found on vista) or buy it for $20
Make lab pass through evista (through maths info in 1151 link)
when in labs, USE LINUX computers as we are tested using linux
labs are downstairs in red centre (G012)

The online tests available currently in evista learning are practice tests. Basically, they consist of 5 multiple choice questions which ask you what appears on matlab if you type this command in. You are allowed unlimited attampts but it wont count towards your assessment.

dont worry, you didnt miss too much. All you have to do now is to read the guide and learn the commands for yourself ands youll be fine

snake1224

HSC
cyl123 said:
hey i was in the computing lecture

basically all that happened was the lecturer demonstrating to us on how to use matlab and creating a lab pass word. he only showed us elementary commands which you could just learn by yourself. This could all be done through elearning vista through math 1151 part.

Important notes from lecture:
Online quiz is on week 5
Lab test is on week 8
print the computing guide for math courses (found on vista) or buy it for $20
Make lab pass through evista (through maths info in 1151 link)
when in labs, USE LINUX computers as we are tested using linux
labs are downstairs in red centre (G012)

The online tests available currently in evista learning are practice tests. Basically, they consist of 5 multiple choice questions which ask you what appears on matlab if you type this command in. You are allowed unlimited attampts but it wont count towards your assessment.

dont worry, you didnt miss too much. All you have to do now is to read the guide and learn the commands for yourself ands youll be fine
Thanks mate. That was extremely helpful~

So when we are not in classes, are we still be able to use those computers (like the ones in red centre you talked about) to practice Matlab?

snake1224

HSC
schmeichung said:
Yes I did MATH1151 and I can tell you that I was kind of struggling in MATH1151 & MATH1251. But then I managed to get all the exemptions before graduation, so don't be disheartened if your progress is not too well in your 1st year study.

In my opinion MATH1151, MATH1251 and even ACTL1001 do not truly reflect your ability to study actuarial.
Haha I see. But what exactly do you mean by "exemptions"? Because I read somewhere else where people talks about actuarial exemptions.

schmeichung

HSC
You will and you should know what they are when you start studying actuarial

cyl123

HSC
snake1224 said:
Thanks mate. That was extremely helpful~

So when we are not in classes, are we still be able to use those computers (like the ones in red centre you talked about) to practice Matlab?
yep, we're actually meant to play around with matlab ourselves cos i dont think tutorials cover matlab. So we can go anytime within opening hours

snake1224

HSC
cyl123 said:
yep, we're actually meant to play around with matlab ourselves cos i dont think tutorials cover matlab. So we can go anytime within opening hours
Ok thanks. Btw the compute notes you talked about is actually only $10. It's exactly the same as the one online.I bought it anyway because I hate reading on computer and I can't be bothered to print 79 pages haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)