To be or not to be? (Law students come in!) (1 Viewer)

Kalashnikov47

HSC
Hey guys! I am facing a dilemma and I would like to hear your opinions!

I am currently doing commerce/law at UWS Parramatta and I just received an offer from MQ to do Art/Laws over there. But I am not so sure whether I should accept the offer or not.

The main reason that is holding me back from accepting the offer is that after a year at UWS, I started to like its law school, especially it's teaching style. I know the law program that UWS is very practice-oriented (which I like very much) whereas MQ's law program is more theory-based (Guys, no immature comments here please, I know some people would seize every opportunity to demean UWS, but it's law school is young but gaining reputation and I only want to hear informed opinions). I have also consulted the Good University Guide, which gave MQ a fairly low ranking in student satisfaction and employer satisfaction, the average income for graduates are below national average and job opportunity is also below average (I know some of you will say "going to uni is not for getting a job, but honestly who doesn't care about their job prospect?). Good University Guide has no data on UWS.

In addition to that, by transferring to MQ, I'll have to sacrafice my current job at UWS admin (which is well-paid, challenging and comfortable) so I don't want to lose my job unnecessarily. Also, UWS Parramatta campus is very close to my home, so I don't have to waste time and money on transport and I can enjoy my uni facilities at any time.

PS: look, I'm more than just happy to give up my job since it's my distant future that matters to me, not what I have to do at uni. Besides, UWS is still by large "union of wasted students" since my experience in its business school was appallingly bad. Going to MQ has a lot of other advantages, including more active student organisations, all-in-one campus, higher flexibility and etc. The reason I posted this was that I want to hear your reasoned opinion before I make up my mind, so please don't say things like "I think you should stay at UWS".

Post-PS: I've made up my mind now. Thanks for your opinions.

Last edited:

rx34

HSC
You give me the impression that you are in love with UWS. I think you should stay there. I'm not sure if there are any salary/preception differences between UWS and MQ. That nice student admin job would definitely make me want to stay in UWS.

Last edited:

roookie

HSC
It sounds to me like you've already made the decision to stay at UWS :)

Don't doubt your decision, go with what feels right!

wendybird

HSC
I actually like what UWS is doing with its teaching - so no derogatory comments from my whatsoever! :D

It sounds like you really enjoy UWS and have alot of satisfaction with it - go with your heart!

PS. I agree, its Law is going to grow, and (I think) it is also opening up for Med very shortly? That will really draw ALOT of strong students to UWS, so it can only go up reputation and establish itself as a great university.

twistedrebel

HSC
I actually like what UWS is doing with its teaching - so no derogatory comments from my whatsoever! :D

It sounds like you really enjoy UWS and have alot of satisfaction with it - go with your heart!

PS. I agree, its Law is going to grow, and (I think) it is also opening up for Med very shortly? That will really draw ALOT of strong students to UWS, so it can only go up reputation and establish itself as a great university.
Actually Med has already started at UWS, been about 2ish years

Kalashnikov47

HSC

I quite like the law school program, but I cant say it's better than MQ without having studied there. I am not satisfied with UWS, and that's why I applied for a transfer -- apart from law and medical school, the rest of UWS is just a fucking joke. I enjoy the law classes at the moment because there are only about 20 students in every seminar/lecture, but this number will raise as UWS is going to expand. I hate the commerce part I did, not only because I didn't like commerce but also because the units were poorly scheduled, designed and taught. The lecturers were few and they have to face 800 students in some of the lectures.

Also, UWS has NO CAMPUS LIFE! Their students are aparthetic to politics, social activism and deep thinking which I so dearly adore.

wendybird

HSC
^ All things which can be corrected in time.

And pssh. Campus life? Compared to Americans with their residential college system, Australia in general has no campus life.

PS. Thanks for the correction, I didn't know med was offered at UWS already.

Their students are aparthetic to politics, social activism and deep thinking which I so dearly adore.
Ah...yeah, that could be a problem. How about taking a honours year (more challenging?), or look for exchange opportunities to other universities? You'd probably pay local fee too which is very economical.

Or, transfer to Macquarie, its up to you - just make sure you check out the place very thoroughily first to make your decision.

Last edited:

X-terc

HSC
N/A
I'm going to start my B of Arts and Law this year at UWS with the intention of transferring the year after to Macq. So I'm interested in what your decision would be like, so keep me up to date! =)

Btw, how are the people there in law? Are they drop kicks? Idiots?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I'm going to start my B of Arts and Law this year at UWS with the intention of transferring the year after to Macq. So I'm interested in what your decision would be like, so keep me up to date! =)

The drop kicks are only a prob in the first year, most of them don't make it through that!

Kalashnikov47

HSC

Haha, doing art/law at UWS could be painful because, if you're unlucky, you would have to do inter-campus travel between classes. I made up my mind already: going to MQ.

Yes, there are tons of dickheads at UWS, but only a handful in law school. Most law students are decent people who put effort into study. That being said, UWS law school still feels a bit like an open university, where some graduate entrants did their art or commerce degree elsewhere and got in with a pass average.

I found transferring from UWS to MQ quite easy. I only managed a mid-credit average and a 90 UAI, but still secured a place in MQ.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Too long. Cbf reading.

Advice is always the same

Be lawyer if you want to be lawyer. Don't do it becuse you think it'll teach you awsome stuff in life or you'll get really far in life or some crap like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)