• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

To do list: merge with New Zealand? (1 Viewer)

Aus - NZ merge?

• Yay

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Nay

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Yeah, why is New Zealand so far behind economically? They're like Portugal.

I mean, Israel and South Korea are behind because they had to build everything from scratch after WW2, so what's NZ and Portugal's excuses?

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
European Union is a trading bloc only. No alterations to sovereignty required such as in the physical merger I supposed. Hence: irrelevant.
same currency, easy movement, European parliament, EU same Foreign policy stance, there getting closer by day.

Yeah, why is New Zealand so far behind economically? They're like Portugal.

I mean, Israel and South Korea are behind because they had to build everything from scratch after WW2, so what's NZ and Portugal's excuses?
Probably because of the small economy, NZ only have 4mill population and the lack of desire for foreign investment.

banco55

HSC
same currency, easy movement, European parliament, EU same Foreign policy stance, there getting closer by day.

Probably because of the small economy, NZ only have 4mill population and the lack of desire for foreign investment.
More like limited natural resources and until the late 80's disastrous economic management by the Government.

I can only imagine the enthusiasm with which the maori lobby would try to shake down the Australian treasury for special interest funding if they got the chance.

Last edited:
HSC
As an expat Kiwi I take exception to the idea of being subjugated by a nation of pie-eating, trash-talking bogans......... :D

But on a serious note, I think it would be a bad idea. New Zealand has developed it's own national culture in the intervening century and I think we should remember that. I mean, would France merge with Germany simply because it was in close proximity and made economic sense?
Agreed. Although there *are* similarities, we're essentially different countries. The cultures are different. Being close isn't a good argument for merging with NZ. Plus, I'm pretty sure they'd refuse on the grounds of our indigenous policies, they apparently have *much* better integration over there.

Should Canada become part of the US? I mean, most people can't even tell the accent apart, and they're *much* closer than us and NZ...:D

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Maoris are integrated such that they provide white people with jobs as police officers and prison guards.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
that's not what canada told us during lunchtime

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Have you noticed that everywhere in the world indigenous populations, whether it be maoris, native american indians, aborigines etc they are all over represented in the prison systems of every single country, everywhere in the world?
american indians =/= american african

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Also I hear that the celts, etc etc aren't doing too badly...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yes and no.

Slively did suggest that native-americans were over represented in the US prison population (a quick google shows that in some states, the Dakotas, they are) however across the US the race most over-represented in african americans. Based on a quick google:

Race/Gen pop %/Prison pop %:
White/74/34.6
Blacks/13.4/39.5
Hispanic/14.8/20.2
Native populations and other/11.72/2.7

Hence Mu5hi's point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)