• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

To drop or not to drop, that is the question (2 Viewers)

mitch_f1

HSC
Hey all
I have a bit of a dilema at the moment. I am doing economics, and am not doing too well. SAM says that I need to get a mark of like 80 for it to do anything. My teacher reckons i'm capable of about 60-70, I think i'm about the same.

Now, I do Bio, Chem, Geog, Maths (general), Std Eng, and Economics.

Currently I am aiming at a science degree at Uni. So I am only out of interest (I would like to run a business someday).

So I would like people's opinions, as to whether I should drop it or not.

Thanks
mitch

get_born

If its not getting in the way of your other subjects you should stick to it because it could act as a back up. Also you shouldn't accept that your only capable of achieving 60-70... you can even go beyong that if you put your mind to it :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
if you work hard enough it is possible to get 80+. nothing's impossible. and even if you don't drop it and it's your wrost subject it's not gonna count towards your UAI anyway. maths is my wrost subject and i have done really crap in it in yr11 and previous years but im still aiming to get a decent mark for it.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
mitch_f1 said:
My teacher reckons i'm capable of about 60-70, I think i'm about the same.
With that kind of attitude, you're probably better off dropping it. If you want to do well in eco, you need to get to the books and read, understand and absorb the info. You need to believe in yourself, tell your teacher you can achieve high and work towards it. I wish you the best this year.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
I'm dropping something! Yay!

... actually, I have no idea what you are dropping. I only read the thread title.

*goes up top and reads actual post*

Ok. If you dropped, you'd only have 10 units. Which means that if you completely screw one subject for some reason, that's it. HOWEVER, if you keep Eco, then you can completely bomb out in it or something else (don't do this on purpose though :D ), and still not have it count.
It depends on what your other marks are too. Std Eng and Gen Maths don't scale too well, and I'm not sure about Eco.
But if you plan to run a business one day, keep it, unless the study time for it is substantially subtracting from study time for other subjects.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
bananasmoothy said:
I'm dropping something! Yay!

... actually, I have no idea what you are dropping. I only read the thread title.

*goes up top and reads actual post*

Ok. If you dropped, you'd only have 10 units. Which means that if you completely screw one subject for some reason, that's it. HOWEVER, if you keep Eco, then you can completely bomb out in it or something else (don't do this on purpose though :D ), and still not have it count.
It depends on what your other marks are too. Std Eng and Gen Maths don't scale too well, and I'm not sure about Eco.
But if you plan to run a business one day, keep it, unless the study time for it is substantially subtracting from study time for other subjects.
standard english scales the same as advance.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
economics isnt hard to grasp if u work hard
bcoz u realli dont need any basic foundation from previous yrs for it

so i wouldnt drop it seeing u will onli have 10units left

but then again, it is entirely up to u

P

pLuvia

Well you only have 12 units right now which is good because you have 2 units of backup, but seeing that you don't think you can do well in economics, you should be better off dropping it.

And saying that you are only capable of 60-70 limits your goal, aim a bit higher, maybe in the 80s that should be much more optimistic

But in the end it's your choice, and I hope you make the right choice

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
bananasmoothy said:
Really? Maybe it's just my school then...
nah they scale the same across the state
except for some reasons, the standard always got way less number of band 6s.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
nah they scale the same across the state
except for some reasons, the standard always got way less number of band 6s.
yeah mainly because of the candidates and how were competiting against advance in paper1.

P

pLuvia

It does scale the same. There have been billions of threads on this matter

mitch_f1

HSC
Hmm, thanks for all the replies, amny make a good point. I think I will stay with it, mainly for the reason that it is a backup subject.

thanks for all the help, it's good to have people just give you a bit of confidence :p

mitch

mitch_f1

HSC
Hmm, thanks for all the replies, amny make a good point. I think I will stay with it, mainly for the reason that it is a backup subject.

thanks for all the help, it's good to have people just give you a bit of confidence :p

mitch

P

pLuvia

But as you are staying with it, try to do well and not only thinking of it as a bludge subject, since it is a backup it is pretty important

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Treat it as if you had to do 12 units compulsory for the hsc, work hard and you'll be secure and succeed. :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
The best thing about accelerating was that I didn't have to drop a subject for year 12 as I had already completed HSC IPT (2 units) in week 3 term 4 2005. So even though this year I am only doing 10 units for my HSC I will have completed 12 units.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
2005 HSC IPT

Examination Mark: 84/100
Assessment Mark: 88/100
HSC Mark: 86
Performance Band: 5

I came 4th in the year, 1st in the year was the only 1 to get a band 6 (HSC Mark: 90)!

P

pLuvia

That's alright :) But you'll think it will count towards your UAI later?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)