To future accountants. (1 Viewer)

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
from what i understand, don't accountants still provide financial advice and risk advisory? Those things can't be done by a computer. I am guessing maybe external audit and bank reconciliations can be dealt with a computer.

Jinks

HSC
A lot of what gets described as "accounting" is in fact "book keeping". I'd argue that most jobs that have some sort of advisory role are pretty safe.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
A lot of what gets described as "accounting" is in fact "book keeping". I'd argue that most jobs that have some sort of advisory role are pretty safe.
I was going to mention this. All the smart jobs in the field will stay, calm down future acct grads :lol:

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd like to point out that this is a US site, and in particular, it seems the US does not nearly have as much electronic processing as we do here. Tax especially, we have pre-filling/e tax etc. From what I understand, the US tax system is not nearly as electronic based as ours.

There will no doubt be more automation in most aspects of our lives, you'd be an idiot to deny that. But no to people or business' are the same.

I mean if you can find a way to eliminate cash receipts, signatures and meetings between people, entries doubling up and not being recognised due to variations in descriptions, boxes that have to be manually checked to ensure the correct value and basically creating true AI to perform many of our jobs, please go ahead.

But until you can do that, accounting is just moving away from paper based tasks to more electronically driven ones, as with pretty much every industry.

At this stage we are all just better off mixing up our skills. That's why I'm studying IT as well now. At least if the computers begin to take take over I'll have a slight advantage over our office admin who couldn't figure out she'd knocked out the power :)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I was going to mention this. All the smart jobs in the field will stay, calm down future acct grads :lol:
Anyway, book keepers still deal with cash. Computer's can't know you've spent cash until you tell them! :p

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep the use of advanced data analytics has automated the accounting industry, notably with tax compliance and book keeping. This doesn't mean that you won't have a job in accounting in the future, the nature of accounting at the professional services firm will change from compliance to consulting. There's a reason why the Big 4 have been making inorganic acquisitions of consulting firms.

enoilgam

HSC
Im not an accountant, but I was always under the impression that the vast majority of their work involved advisory/strategic stuff. I think the stuff that article discusses relates more to bookkeeping (journal entries etc) which are usually done by lower level staff, not full fledged CAs/CPAs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)