• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

To Lazarus, and other BOS .. smart .. (1 Viewer)

Phycisist

Do u think if i email my Strictly Ballroom essay to you , u can change it from a 12 to a 16/20 ???? :D

Maybe i dont know enough images or.. I dont really know and i have noone to help me.

Phycisist

I wanna. I would if everyone else posted there essays here.

You know how it is..

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I'll start with mine, hoping for some response. It's done in 40 minutes strict timing :)

Images can either enhance or hinder communication

Image is what audiences / viewers can perceive and draw meanings from. In texts, images that viewers can see are all under the complete control of the composer, they are the ones who shape the meaning of the text. This way composers can enhance aspects of the text, and hinder some others. Strictly Ballroom by Baz Luhrmann contains image techniques that gives audiences perceptions of the competitive dancing world the way Baz wants the viewers to, not the real world that exists. Similarly, the photo essay No War By Kamau Mucohi (forota.net/nowar) displays and enhances the reasons for opposing the war, yet hinders the justification of the war. All of the above effects are achieved through clever uses of image techniques to the composers intentions.

Strictly Ballroom introduces the competitive ballroom dancing world to us as harshly and exaggeratedly competitive. As we watch the Waratah Dance Championship scene, we realise how competitive it is with cheering fans and local supporters, including Shirley, who supports Scott. The fact that Scott was cornered by Ken Railings during the dance shows us that in the world of Strictly Ballroom, dance can be so competitive that winning is all that matters. This clever use of image has led to us audiences drawing conclusions of its competitive nature, even though it might not be like so in the real world.

The world of competitive ballroom dancing is also shown to be very strict, as Scott is shown to live in a world of conformists. The fact that everyone is under control of Barry Fife was emphasized during his introduction as the federation president, along with his regal style waves to the crowd after the promotion of his dance to win video. His power was shown when Charm (his wife) was about to disqualify Scott, only to have Barry stopping her, to maintain his image as a good king.

Everyone that lived around Scott was also shown to be under the control of Barry. Shirley, at the beginning emphasized Barrys power from her mention of Scotts mistake being amplified due to the fact that hes dancing in front of the king. Les Kendall, Scotts Coach was very chickened out to defend Scott at the pseudo-mock interview, and advises that only experts would know about moves, as it is him or Barry Fife. The twos participation in the documentary further builds on the image of punishment, where not conforming leads to public humiliation. Certainly, this is exaggerating the truth, as the real world is not so strict, yet Baz used image techniques to get his messages across to the audience for his purposes.

Barrys hideous acts throughout the movie were giving the impression of a very evil man to the audience, despite of his efforts of fake faces and lies. This was all thanks to Bazs image techniques, where every smile he makes is portrayed as an evil smile, for example the doesnt mean you win! close up shot into his smile with broken teeth. His reputation as an evil and plotter nature was emphasized by Scotts reaction when Barry confronted him. Scott looked left and right as if there was a trap, as Barry approaches him. All of Barrys evil acts were amplified, while his attempts to look good and have friendly impression was imaged badly. This shows another example of Bazs use of image to enhance and hinder Barrys self.

The image technique is also used to hide Frans beauty at the beginning of the movie. Frangipani de la squeezee mop was wearing no make-up, overly large glasses and shirt, has messy, oily hair, which all contributes onto her unattractiveness. This has prevented audiences from seeing her as one of the mains protagonist, leading into misconceptions of an unimportant minor comic-relief character, as she was victim to multiple slapstick chase violence earlier in the movie. Her beauty images representation however, was at a turning point when Scott took off her glasses, as she suddenly gained a beautiful look. Her magical tidying up of her hair also contributed to the change of opinion of her self by the audience. This shows how much image can hinder and enhance the meaning of two things.

Kamau Mucohis (forota.net/nowar) photoessay on the war protests in the streets of New York presents various photos which were taken in black and white, on the protesters of the no-war campaign. The pictures all display violence, however, this time it displays the anti-riot polices violence. The opening picture depicts a man on his 40s, being detained by two seemingly younger and more fit anti-riot police. The juxtaposition of the weak, old and desperately screaming old man with the two young police looking cold-faced and focused, wearing riot armors and equipment gave an impression of unfairness and unjustifiedness of the war. The image has enhanced the effect of the apparent suffering which the protester seems to be enduring. However, as we look closer, no harm is actually being done on the protester, it was just a normal detaining procedure that the riot police were doing. The severity of the situation was greatly enhanced by the visual images of the protests.

Strictly Ballroom and the photo essay above is just a small example of the use of image to enhance some aspects of a text, while hindering other aspects of it. This was done by making us concentrate on the aspect that the composer wants us to see. The impact of the image technique is so powerful it often results in the conception of an idea totally different than one we would have if we were seeing the text from a different point of view. Using this method, image techniques can truly give a different experience on texts, from the skilful crafting of the images that us as audiences can perceive from it.

< end of essay >

question comes from Doonside Technology High School trial 2001

978 words, what do you think?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Just to say, out of the 37000 candidates, only a small handful will learn from this forum. Since frankly speaking, what kind of people do you think does english standard? :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I doubt I'll be able to assist you much if I haven't studied your texts.

I don't really have enough time to watch Strictly Ballroom again heh. Sorry. :(

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
I'll start with mine, hoping for some response. It's done in 40 minutes strict timing :)

images can either enhance or hinder communication

question comes from Doonside Technology High School trial 2001?

978 words, what do you think?
do you mind if i make some points?

is "images can either enhance or hinder communication"? the question

some thoughs seem mixed up =/
need to mention MORE image techniques .. there a decent alot but i dun fink it can gain you the top band

dont write baz .. write luhrmann or the full name, sounds more meaningful if you have the last name not first...

you havent really analyse any particular scenes juz bits and piece. You wrote about alot teh storyline but you nee proof to back it up and description of how the images help convey that storyline..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)