To the Media and Board of Studies officials (1 Viewer)

Kyroth***

HSC
Lil Clutch said:
im with you there-thats exactly what i did, showed the possiblilities and my working out but my prediction still was the boy not being colour blind. oh well most marks were for the diagram!woot!

and on another note, do the bos officials really look up all these sites? like i guess theyre not prohibitied, but i never thought about that! oh well, they cant find out our identities... ill continue bitching about them!
I'm not certain if BOS does, but the media sure does! I saw an article that quoted someone from here in the SMH the other day!

Lil Clutch

HSC
elisabeth said:
Fair enough, but it just seems a bit more ag-based that what you'd expect, it was a bit overkill I thought because there are a lot of other major areas which went untested.
yeah i agree, like in reality we can't expect them to test everything we've learnt (or lack thereof) in the past year but a bit more variety!i remember my bio teacher telling us on the first day of year 12 that we were going to be learning the whole syllabus, which he was distributing at that time and then he added, (or along these lines)-"of which you're only going to be tested on a minority x amount in the final exam."

i guess it comes down to what our personal stronger and weaker topics are/were, or likes and dislikes. and i liked most of the questions (esp multiple choice), but then it further comes down to how well i communicated it-and those lines...maybe i write too big but they definitely don't provide enough lines in the question-answer booklet for me! thats my first rant, and secondly, who does human story? i hate human story! lol. :)

Last edited:

Lil Clutch

HSC
Kyroth*** said:
I'm not certain if BOS does, but the media sure does! I saw an article that quoted someone from here in the SMH the other day!
change your story there! jokes!
but on that note, the coffs harbour and english paper 2 ordeal was on the news where the reporter mentioned this "private student community" and commented on how the mishap of getting the wrong paper was openly discussed. and this was assisted by the shot of the... (lol-too english like!)...but they did show the site of the conversation on the news-and i was like "ive read that!" lol.

and back to biology... and shaking our fists at bos! :)

caxap

HSC
N/A
The_highwayman said:
Um, no! because Jack is a boy :uhhuh: so whilst there is a 50 percent chance an offspring will have the gene (either as a male or female) there is only a 25% chance that a BOY child will be affected if the mother is a carrier. (basic maths skills)
*Drowns in a wave of relief*

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was so scared for a minute there.

Oso

Biotechnician in Training
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Um, no! because Jack is a boy :uhhuh: so whilst there is a 50 percent chance an offspring will have the gene (either as a male or female) there is only a 25% chance that a BOY child will be affected if the mother is a carrier. (basic maths skills)
Do'h!! Dammit Bio's meant to be my good subject... I'm coming up with wrong answers everywhere...

SaMi5

HSC
i heard that BOS do read it to see how students liked or disliked the exam so they can work on thngs for next yr.... n yeh i read the SMH wher the quoted someone... it was al coz they fuked up our legal exam! morons! so the media definately read this stuff n kno wats goin on... o and i HATED the jack Q!..

stu_jacks88

I said the same thing as others, if maria is a carrier then there was a 50% chance that Jack would be colour blind, if she wasnt then 0%. Others just said that it would be a twenty five percent chance that he would be colour blind. Both answers aren't not correct, so hopefull they will both be counted.

Oso

Biotechnician in Training
HSC
wait, no If Maria is a carrier thre is only a 50% chance because she is the only person the X cromosome could come from.
ie the Y chromosome is not important.
phew I was scared just then...

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
stu_jacks88 said:
I said the same thing as others, if maria is a carrier then there was a 50% chance that Jack would be colour blind, if she wasnt then 0%. Others just said that it would be a twenty five percent chance that he would be colour blind. Both answers aren't not correct, so hopefull they will both be counted.
Hi Stuart :p

Spending the downtime here are we? haha.

nedzelic

HSC
adrenaline88 said:
RED GREEN COLOUR BLINDNESS QUESTION WAS CRAP!! There was not enough information in the question to be able to answer appropriately:
The father Nick could have been affected or unaffected (NO INFO AT ALL)
The mother Maria could have been a carrier or unaffected
That's way to many different scenarios for just 2 marks:
Nick affected x Maria unaffected!!
Nick affected x Maria carrier!!
Nick unaffected x Maria unaffected!!
Nick unaffected x Maria carrier!!
STUPID BOARD OF STUDIES AND THEIR RIDICULOUS QUESTIONS! GO OVER YOUR QUESTIONS BEFORE MAKING THEM HSC-WORTHY PEOPLE!
so it wasn't just me who thought that
cos i wrote way more than the 3 lines they gave you and had to do all these punekt squares around the edge of the page. and so my answer cnosidted of if he had it...if she had it... if she carried it but didn't have and he had blablahblah...
pretty shite

nedzelic

HSC
caxap said:
Gah, where's the emoticon for shaking-head-in-self-pity?

Did anybody else think that the exam was very "Search for Better Health" with not as much "Blueprint" or "Balance"?
big time - really only the multiple choice and maybe the quedstion of meiosid (which i hate)

cataleptic

HSC
Kyroth*** said:
adrenaline, you just didn't do the qustion right. Since Jack is a boy, he gets his Y chromosome from his dad, not the X which carries the trait. So that eliminates 2 of your senarios. Then you say there is a 50% chance of Maria being a carrier, and if she is, a 50% chance of Jack having the disease. So all up, a 25% chance of him having the disease. The question asks you to predict, so you show your working, then write "I predict he will not be colour blind".
That's what I came up with. except I left my prediction off. Damn. I just said "He will have 25%..." blah blah. Silly me.

daemon22

HSC
I just assumed Nick wasn't affected (and stated that) since they didn't say anything.. and OH SHIT

I just realised I gave nick and XX fark!

but I made 2 cases: maria being carrier and not being one

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
cataleptic said:
That's what I came up with. except I left my prediction off. Damn. I just said "He will have 25%..." blah blah. Silly me.
As long as u said "he will have 25%" blah blah then that counts as a prediction.

The way it works: 25% if Maria IS a carrier (as there is 50% chance the child could be a boy and 50% of those boys will be colour blind)
0% chance if she is NOT a carrier since the gene has to come from somewhere.

I just said :assuming nick is unaffected blah...

Last edited:

liquid.ghoul

The_highwayman said:
As long as u said "he will have 25%" blah blah then that counts as a prediction.

The way it works: 25% if Maria IS a carrier (as there is 50% chance the child could be a boy and 50% of those boys will be colour blind)
0% chance if she is NOT a carrier since the gene has to come from somewhere.

I just said :assuming nick is unaffected blah...
Mate, you are wrong, as we are already told that Jack is a boy. Therefore you only have a choice between an affected boy, and an unaffected boy. Therefore, if Maria is affected, there is a 50% chance of Jack being colour blind.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hmmm, from what I undertsand, you ignore the genotype of the father because he doesn't contribute the X chromosome.

B.J

HSC
Hey i wrote like exactly the same thing for there being a 0% and a 50% but then because there was time left i decided to add on that ........since 2 out of 3 of Marias brothers had colour blindness, and there is a 50% chance of her parents making children of colour blindness, assuming exact 50% ratio, she should not get the disease so i predict Jack won't get it.

do u reckon that will lose marks?

liquid.ghoul

B.J said:
Hey i wrote like exactly the same thing for there being a 0% and a 50% but then because there was time left i decided to add on that ........since 2 out of 3 of Marias brothers had colour blindness, and there is a 50% chance of her parents making children of colour blindness, assuming exact 50% ratio, she should not get the disease so i predict Jack won't get it.

do u reckon that will lose marks?
The likelihood of her getting the disease is not reliant on her siblings. The chances occur, by the sperm "meeting" the egg which has the particular gene. There is a 50% chance that the egg will have the gene. That cannot be changed by previous children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)