To transfer or not? (1 Viewer)

miss-smexy

HSC
Hi!

I'm in first year at Macquarie doing Commerce-Accounting/Law. I'm considering whether I should transfer to UTS to complete my degree (Not UNSW or USYD because I'm not sure whether my marks will suffice). My UAI last year would have allowed me to do law at UTS, but I chose Macquarie because at the time I thought that it'd be better for law. But now I have my doubts about MQ...

My reasons for transferring to UTS would be that:

- UTS Law has Practical Legal Training, whereas Macquarie doesn't.
- I've just finished studying Jurisprudence. It was a terrible subject and imo, a total waste of time. Also, I feel so behind compared to my other friends who do law at other unis because they've finished torts and know all sorts of law terms regarding cases etc. Macquarie, however, doesn't really place an emphasis on this in first year - and I feel like such a lostie when talking to my friends about law (although I guess I will catch up next year when I do those subjects...) :eek:
- The MQ Law course structure sucks

Reasons for NOT transferring:

- I regard Accounting at Macquarie > than Accounting at UTS
- So if I wanted to practise Accounting later, I think that it'd be better if I were to graduate from Macquarie.
- Distance to get to Macquarie < UTS and therefore less time wasted travelling.

Oh and just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking:

Ideally I'd like to practise law but if my marks aren't good enough to get into the top law firms, I also don't mind doing accounting - because I think that this would be interesting as well! Also, as I'm in my first year, I don't exactly have a clear idea yet of which one to pursue.

Last edited:

amaccas

HSC
N/A
you'll still cover all the important stuff at mac with law... i wouldn't fret too much. im at uts, and i think it's fairly good for the most part. tbh, unless you're working a city job part time or something id stay at mac. although ive never been to mac apparently it's awesome for business/accounting style stuff. the laws quite good too when compared alongside uts.

and dont worry if you're friends are like 1 subject ahead, it's pittance in the grand scheme of things. head down, study hard and get good marks.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
miss-smexy said:
and I feel like such a lostie when talking to my friends about law
This is your mistake right here. Friends don't let friends talk about law, unless the conversation starts off with "hey, you know that assignment we have due tomorrow..."

In all seriousness, the only real difference here is the structure of the degree itself. Come the end of the degree, you will have the same amount of knowledge with regards to compulsory subjects as you would have had you studied at UTS - chances are you'll know more about certain subjects before people at UTS do, simply because of the fact you'd do those subjects before them.

The in-house PLT is a good reason to transfer, but as someone who's doing exactly that at UOW, I've come to realise that it's only 6 months saved - probably less when you take into account the staggered admission dates. I'd say there's no advantage or disadvantage when it comes to doing your PLT at the College of Law or at a university, as they are accredited by the same body.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
you say that you had a UAI which would have allowed you to do law - so it would have been around the 98's right? If so, that 98 uai plus a solid GPA puts you in contention for a place at USYD or UNSW. I would only transfer out to sydney or unsw.

Trust me , law gets better! (im doing b accg/ b laws as well)

btw there was another thread on the macq/uts law in the mac uni section a while ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)