To what extent will this affect my ATAR? (1 Viewer)

gsweeper

HSC
During the first week back, we have gotten many of our first term assessments back. Overall, i have done fairly well, with 95% in eco, ranked first, 95% business, ranked first, 92% in modern ranked second and 96% in S.O.R I, ranked first. This was all good until i got my Adv. english results back.
Now overall our grade performed poorly, with the top mark in an essay with 15% weighting, 12/15, i scored 10/15, and a creative writing with 10% weighting which i scored 10/15 in, now after i got both results back im sitting at about 4th in the grade with a lot of other people, but what i would like to know is that if these results will significantly affect my ATAR, i'm aiming for mid 90's and with putting in the work i know that i can keep my marks up in my other subjects and improve in english, but i'm worried that these results may bring me down, is this the case, or will it only be minor in the end?
Thanks, and sorry i rambled on there, i just get worried easily :)

rajputsingh

HSC
It will all depend on what you are eventually ranked from your school and your actual HSC exam marks. The trend seems to be (or at least from my experience) that the internal school assesments seem to be marked a lot harder than the actual HSC. Also, if your school is a hard marker, your internal school marks should be generally increased from your actual raw marks eg my raw marks that I calculated for english were 75 yet on my HSC record it said my internal school mark was 83. So you should not need to worry just yet. English can obviously determine the difference between your atar however a 90 in english and a 93 in english shouldnt affect your atar significantly eg there may be a difference of 0.3-1.5 marks depending on your cohort.

gsweeper

HSC
It will all depend on what you are eventually ranked from your school and your actual HSC exam marks. The trend seems to be (or at least from my experience) that the internal school assesments seem to be marked a lot harder than the actual HSC. Also, if your school is a hard marker, your internal school marks should be generally increased from your actual raw marks eg my raw marks that I calculated for english were 75 yet on my HSC record it said my internal school mark was 83. So you should not need to worry just yet. English can obviously determine the difference between your atar however a 90 in english and a 93 in english shouldnt affect your atar significantly eg there may be a difference of 0.3-1.5 marks depending on your cohort.
Well at the moment, there is a lot of people sitting on the same ranks, i mean at least 50% of the people in advanced are sitting on the rankings 1-4 after those assessments. So is it ranking that determines what i would get rather than marks?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
During the first week back, we have gotten many of our first term assessments back. Overall, i have done fairly well, with 95% in eco, ranked first, 95% business, ranked first, 92% in modern ranked second and 96% in S.O.R I, ranked first. This was all good until i got my Adv. english results back.
Now overall our grade performed poorly, with the top mark in an essay with 15% weighting, 12/15, i scored 10/15, and a creative writing with 10% weighting which i scored 10/15 in, now after i got both results back im sitting at about 4th in the grade with a lot of other people, but what i would like to know is that if these results will significantly affect my ATAR, i'm aiming for mid 90's and with putting in the work i know that i can keep my marks up in my other subjects and improve in english, but i'm worried that these results may bring me down, is this the case, or will it only be minor in the end?
Thanks, and sorry i rambled on there, i just get worried easily :)
The bold writing says it all. If your grade performed poorly, then that implies it was a hard assessment. It won't significantly affect your ATAR, as your ranks are very close (only a two mark difference between first and yourself). It'll be really minor in the end.

In summary, focus on English now and line it up with your other high results! Good luck :).

speedofsound

HSC
wtf

that will have like zero impact at all. maybe 0.000000001% of an impact

rajputsingh

HSC
Ideally you would like to be ranked high and also have good marks but if you come from a very competitive school a high ranking would be of an advantage. I do believe there are various threads on this issue so you should check them out. Just remember you have a long way to go so don't stress yet.

legendfunk

HSC
Well, it's not a good idea to start ranting on about scaling, the ATAR calculation and moderation etc etc, but long story short, there's absolutely no need to worry especially considering that everyone in your grade got about the same mark. Your assessment mark stand alone means nothing - it's your ranking in proportion to the rest of the school.

So it's more an indication that the marking style of your teachers may reflect that they have a very high expectation rather than your actual ability. However, that being said, take it as a friendly reminder of the standard they expect. Besides, you've got plenty of time, it's only the beginning of the year :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)