• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

TOFEES - Skrzynecki (1 Viewer)

Funkifrog

HSC
Hey,

Our teacher has us doing this stupid TOFEES thing for all the Peter Skrzynecki poems we have studied.

TOFEES stands for:

Topic sentence
Overview
Feature of language
Examples
Effects
Summary

Was wondering if anyone else has heard of this and/or conplete some that I could have a look at as I am completly stumped.

HSC 2010 - ATAR GOAL: 96+

SUBJECTS: Advance English, General Maths, Biology, Economics, Business Studies, Geography :monkey:

suling

HSC
we do PEEL

Point
Example
Evidence
Link

except my teacher always forgets the L. So she tells us to do PEE.

I have never heard of TOFEES

Funkifrog

HSC
we do PEEL

Point
Example
Evidence
Link

except my teacher always forgets the L. So she tells us to do PEE.

I have never heard of TOFEES
Thats cool did you do it for Skrzynecki - do you have any examples I could have a look at. :spin:

suling

HSC
Thats cool did you do it for Skrzynecki - do you have any examples I could have a look at. :spin:
No, sorry i'm doing 'Romulus, My Father'. I think the general idea is to make a point about a concept of belonging in the text, find an example of a technique that illustrates that concept, then state evidence of that example through a quote etc. As for thelink part, I guess maybe link it to other concepts/ related texts.

I'm not sure if that's exactly how its supposed to be used, but that is how I would do it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In “Feliks Skrzynecki”, the allusion to the popular colloquial cliché ‘kept pace only with the Joneses of his own mind’s making’ reveals how the eponymous character’s criteria for belonging prevails over the influence of social context. Such contentment with his personal criteria is reflected by the rhythmic calm of the internal sibilant rhyme, ‘walking its perimeter from sunrise to sleep’, and further emphasised through the sentimental tone ‘loved his garden like an only child’.

That's from my essay. However, I did, it in a different order.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
OMG, my teacher goes absolutely insane over his TOFEEs! I'd never heard of it before from anyone outside his classes though =\

What it is is basically the structure for your essay paragraphs. You start with the topic sentence, which should contain your thesis/argument. The overview should expand on this with relation to the set text, or in a supplementary text paragraph it should give a brief overview of the plot. The content of your essay is filled with FEEs- the feature [language/whatever technique], example [quote etc] and effect [how this relates to your argument]. Depending on the length of the paragraph there should be 3-6 FEEs. It's also good to mix up the order of them, so you don't always start with the technique or whatever [my teacher also says not to start with the quote, but nyeh]. And with the final S you conclude.

I found that it really helped me structure my essays. I don't have any examples for Skrzynecki, but I have a Macbeth essay with the same structure if that helps :]

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've never heard of TOFEES before. :p

Seems like many schools are using it. :p

Funkifrog

HSC
OMG, my teacher goes absolutely insane over his TOFEEs! I'd never heard of it before from anyone outside his classes though =\

What it is is basically the structure for your essay paragraphs. You start with the topic sentence, which should contain your thesis/argument. The overview should expand on this with relation to the set text, or in a supplementary text paragraph it should give a brief overview of the plot. The content of your essay is filled with FEEs- the feature [language/whatever technique], example [quote etc] and effect [how this relates to your argument]. Depending on the length of the paragraph there should be 3-6 FEEs. It's also good to mix up the order of them, so you don't always start with the technique or whatever [my teacher also says not to start with the quote, but nyeh]. And with the final S you conclude.

I found that it really helped me structure my essays. I don't have any examples for Skrzynecki, but I have a Macbeth essay with the same structure if that helps :]
Thanks this was heaps useful i think i kinda get the idea now thanks.

HSC 2010 ATAR GOAL - 97+

Subjects: - English Advanced, General Maths, BIology, Economics, Geography and Business Studies

Funkifrog

HSC
In “Feliks Skrzynecki”, the allusion to the popular colloquial cliché ‘kept pace only with the Joneses of his own mind’s making’ reveals how the eponymous character’s criteria for belonging prevails over the influence of social context. Such contentment with his personal criteria is reflected by the rhythmic calm of the internal sibilant rhyme, ‘walking its perimeter from sunrise to sleep’, and further emphasised through the sentimental tone ‘loved his garden like an only child’.

That's from my essay. However, I did, it in a different order.
This is awesome dude is there any chance of getting a copy of the essay promise no copying....no point anyway it is non assessed so it would be stupid just so i can see what your perspective on the poem was.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I PM'd you the Feliks Skrzynecki paragraph.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Our teacher taught us to firstly have the basics i.e. intro, body pghs + topic sentence, conclusion. Then you add "magical technical analysis" (i.e. techniques) and thesis references as much as possible.

kylie12492

HSC
cool never heard of tofees before.. we got taught to use sex

Statement
Example
eXplain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)