Tolkein (1 Viewer)

astron

HSC
N/A
Actually, I have never read a study guide on tolkien.

I didnt say Eowyn was his only well developed female character, because that would just exclude Arwen, Galadriel, Melian, Idril, Luthien, etc.

I think I've proved my point :D. But I used Eowyn as the main character that questions the role of women in society.

astron

HSC
N/A
Yes, they do.

But you cant base a whole critical study on that. You probably need to develop other themes, which is what I've tried to do.

elfgal

liliputian - i'm pretty sure i've seen bolt 1&2 at grace bros in the city. or if you haven't read them yet i know you can get them at south sydney library and waverly...

astron - sorry, i didn't mean to suggest that you'd base your report completely on study guides or that you'd draw stupid conclusions about eowyn being the only well developed female character. i was just going off on a tangent about being annoyed at study guide writers that do that.

when you say the role of women in 'society', what society are you gonna look at? like are you gonna focus purely on middle earth, or draw parallels between that world and the worlds of the myths which inspired it or between m-e & tolkien's world or even me and the world today?

elfgal

but if you want to focus on the idea of little ppl in a big world as your main theme, maybe instead of studying lotr alone you could look at other popular texts which use this device and analyse why they are so appealing to readers

astron

HSC
N/A
Eowyn is a good character, because she openly says "its my place in the home" or something like that.

Its a really strong criticism of the traditional view of women,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)