Tony McMahon's The Single Gentleman's Dining Club (1 Viewer)

BronwynKate

HSC
I have just been to the launch (last night) of the book The Single Gentleman's Club by Tony McMahon.

It means a lot to me because Tony is a student at Box Hill Institute of TAFE and I studied Professional Writing and Editing with him from 2003 to 2005. We went all through the Novel units and his is just an amazing book and it was an amazing class.

Our co-ordinator, Helen Milte Bastow saw the promise in Tony right away and suggested he get the book published but knew it wouldn't fit into any of the mainstream genres or styles we know about.

Euan Mitchell, an expert on self-publishing, decided he would take it on. So in February 2006 The Single Gentleman's Club was published.

At the launch in the Union Club Hotel in Fitzroy - much of the action of the book is set in a pub, Amy's, very much like lots of Fitzroy pubs - we got to meet the real characters and have a spiel from the co-ordinator and also the publisher. We also heard something really exciting - that Tony will be reading in cigar clubs in Sydney and this is all for Sony. See, Tony put a Dumb Earth (affectionately known as the Dummies) song in - The Great Dividing Range - and Sony thought this was great promotion so they decided to do something else. And the publisher's brother - who I saw before we got into the Union Club hotel - said two important words which are vital to the future of the book "FUCK SYDNEY" because the book is SO Melbourne.

If you love Melbourne and if you want to see a new view of manhood and masculinity, then you should so read the book. If you like unconventional and internal narratives and long digressions on cricket and footy (what can I say, it's a MELBOURNE book!) then you should also read it.

The Single Gentleman's Dining Club is published by Overdog Books and it costs $22.95. It should be available in any good chain or independent bookstore. At the launch it was cheaper and I imagine dozens and dozens of copies were sold.

Last edited:

TonyM

HSC
N/A
Hey Bronwyn, thanks for your kind words about my book. And thanks for showing up to the launch as well. Hope you drank lots of the free champers, and had yourself a jolly old time. Just one correction to your post though, The Single Gentleman's Dining Club isn't self published. I was thinking about doing that, but then Euan Mitchell of Overdog Press offered to publish it for me.
Cheers
Tony

BronwynKate

HSC
I don't drink, Tony.

I ate a lot.

Thank you for reminding me about Euan and your book being not in fact self-published.

I'll delete the offending sentence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)