• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

...Too easy... (2 Viewers)

pals_2005

HSC
Who agrees that the 4 unit course it too easy these days?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Oh, you must be really smart. Can you help me with this question? I know it's an easy one, but I just can't get it right.

i) Show that the area of the triangular cross-section at x = h is sqrt3h8.

ii) Hence find the volume of the solid.

The graph is attached. Thank you!

justchillin

HSC
hey, that guy is rather arrogant lol. I will put the soln to that when I get home, I have a copy of it for you...

casebash

HSC
I agree it should be harder. Make the average less than 50%.

justchillin

HSC
hey sorry to take so long but here is that soln to the volumes question...

The cross sectional area is 1/2absinC
now the side length of the triangle is 2h^4 so
A = 1/2 (2h^4)^2sin(pi/3) (as the triangle is equilateral)
= ... sqrt3.h^8

Now the volume = int (between 0 and 2) sqrt3.x^8...
therefore volume comes out to be 512.sqrt3/9 units cubed. Hope that helps!

ishq

brown?
HSC
pals_2005 said:
Not me.
But then again, I'm simply normal.

Antwan23q

God
HSC
too easy? hmm i dont think so. after doin those CSSA papers my confidence in my skills has dropped sooo much. i used to gun it... it makes me cry late at night.

A l

HSC
N/A
pals_2005 said:
Too easy? That is the first time I heard anyone say that.
If you don't top the state in Mathematics Extension 2, then I'll be laughing...

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
pals_2005 said:
Not too easy, but there should be more variety in the content. Also there should be more 4u probability, because that's an awesome topic :D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Engineers are no more innovative than scientists. Your signature is misleading. :p

If I thought 4u was too easy, I'd be thinking I'd get 99 or 100. As I do not think this, I obviously don't think the HSC is too easy.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Haha he stole that from our elec lecture on monday

Oh and on the topic, i find 4 unit pretty tough, possibly either due to that fact that i never took it or that my interests in maths lie in other areas not covered in 4 unit.

FinalFantasy

HSC
Calculon said:
Not too easy, but there should be more variety in the content. Also there should be more 4u probability, because that's an awesome topic :D
NO WAY! I HATE PROBABILITY!!!!!!!!

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
i wouldnt say its 2 easy....casebash, u said it shud be harder and make the average less than 50 %?? thats rediculous....i think the fact that the top mark is normally just under 100% is pretty much saying that its perfect, if it was any easier, obviously many people would get 100% and the results would be too close, if it were any harder, people would simply not do it

good the way it is... although......maybe the harder stuff shoudl eb specific 4unit topics, the way it is structured atm is that the hardest stuff is actually 3unit....

FinalFantasy

HSC
dawso said:
i wouldnt say its 2 easy....casebash, u said it shud be harder and make the average less than 50 %?? thats rediculous....i think the fact that the top mark is normally just under 100% is pretty much saying that its perfect, if it was any easier, obviously many people would get 100% and the results would be too close, if it were any harder, people would simply not do it

good the way it is... although......maybe the harder stuff shoudl eb specific 4unit topics, the way it is structured atm is that the hardest stuff is actually 3unit....
i think if the 4u is like it is now, casebash would be able to get all the questions out, as well as many other ppl, but casebash would probably make mistakes and other ppl not as good as him would probably beat him
that's y he wants average less than 50%, that way he'll still probably get all da q' out and ppl not as good as him would have less chance :p

casebash

HSC
FinalFantasy said:
i think if the 4u is like it is now, casebash would be able to get all the questions out, as well as many other ppl, but casebash would probably make mistakes and other ppl not as good as him would probably beat him
that's y he wants average less than 50%, that way he'll still probably get all da q' out and ppl not as good as him would have less chance :p
Exactly, I make way too many careless errors. In fact I would prefer it even lower , say 25%, except then that would be getting a bit riduculas.

HSC
Casebash is too used to olympiads, where you have an hour or more per question, and the average mark is quite low, so speed and accuracy aren't as much of an issue. (Median mark at IMO this year: 12/42)

lum

HSC
whoa, i forgot about maths olympiads after primary school :p
does anyone have past papers just for fun?

wanton-wonton

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Oh, you must be really smart. Can you help me with this question? I know it's an easy one, but I just can't get it right.

i) Show that the area of the triangular cross-section at x = h is sqrt3h8.

ii) Hence find the volume of the solid.

The graph is attached. Thank you!
In the 4U course, we do not deal with axis of z. Don't be a smartass, just swear at the guy and that'll do.

Edit* Actually, you do deal with z axis in Volumes..Hmm...

Shouldn't the cross-section area just be h^8?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)