Too late to drop a subject? (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Er, not at all.

I dropped EX1 during HSC, and it was fine. No questions asked.
Like during this time in youe externals??

My school said the cut of date was the day before the yr 12 graduation!

D94

HSC
N/A
Er, not at all.

I dropped EX1 during HSC, and it was fine. No questions asked.
Whilst I believe you, I find it almost unlikely in any normal situation, as you're not technically enrolled with the school anymore, and the BOS paper work is copious. Policies might have changed, seeing as you graduated in '09. I just know my school was adamant that no subject could be dropped in that month leading to HSC (which actually was the study break period) and that the official BOS paperwork could not be completed in time.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
If you fail to attend a final exam and don't apply for special consideration, you have not completed the exam requirement and the course is not reported on your HSC ... the same as if you had withdrawn. You DON'T get a mark of zero. But if you have done a project, oral or performance in that subject then you get to keep that small mark only.

You have to be careful because failing to attend a 2 unit exam also loses any extension course in the same subject. Likewise, failing to turn up for extension 1 maths also loses extension 2 maths.

RawrJohnT

HSC
Don't drop your subject! I thought I was going to fail IPT and I didn't care about the exam as I have 6 subjects, so I walked into the IPT exam without any study and I think I did pretty well!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Like during this time in youe externals??

My school said the cut of date was the day before the yr 12 graduation!
Yeah. It was for EX1, and I was coming 20th/72ish students. I hadn't really done any preparation for it, and thought I'd go in and wing it, but then I realised that it would be really unfair to the 52 odd people I happened to beat internally (it would affect their internal marks by one or two or whatever). So I pulled out.

Whilst I believe you, I find it almost unlikely in any normal situation, as you're not technically enrolled with the school anymore, and the BOS paper work is copious. Policies might have changed, seeing as you graduated in '09. I just know my school was adamant that no subject could be dropped in that month leading to HSC (which actually was the study break period) and that the official BOS paperwork could not be completed in time.
You are still enrolled with the school. How are you not enrolled with the school? Just because you don't attend school doesn't mean you're not enrolled with them. This is a poor analogy, but does this mean that Year 8 students on holidays over the summer break aren't 'enrolled' because they're not attending school? You're enrolled with them until the end of the HSC period.

The BOS paperwork is copious? I don't think so. I believe I did a conference call to the Deputy Principal and the Head of English, then sent an email confirmation to the DP, ccing Head of English and my English teacher. I was told 20 minutes later that I had been dropped from the subject.

And how is there any paperwork? Provided what you're dropping down to is 10 or more units, what's stopping you from just not turning up to the exam? Sure, you'll get 0 on your external, but it doesn't affect your ATAR in the slightest (provided your other 10 units were going to be your best ones).

I think your school is bullshitting you, to stop you guys from dropping subjects (particularly those that will pull the school's rank up - given that you're a pretty smart kid who knows your shit from what I've seen around on the forums).

kfnmpah

HSC
You could just sit the exam and wing it or just not go to the exam.
Why would you drop it now? You're probably not even doing as poorly as you think and are getting pre-exam nerves or something.
Just do it man, worst case is it doesn't count towards your atar.

Once you're in uni, what you got in hsc is so irrelevant.

Keplaffintech

HSC
My teacher told me that some maths students dropped the day before the test last year, i think its possible just ask your curriculum co-ordinator.

HelenaJean

HSC
if you've got 12 units, and only the highest 10 are counted towards your ATAR.
The subject you do worst in won't be counted (hallelujah!)
you could:
~ do your best, suck up the results (as i am doing with distance ed ancient history)
~ go, write your name, maybe doodle on the page then leave
~ not go at all
Dropping it won't make a difference even if you could (you can't).

If all your other subjects have better marks than this one, if won't make a difference towards your ATAR.
Hakuna Matata my care free friend :)

edit:
for the record, last year i sat PDHPE.
in my trials i got 55%, though 'this is bullshit, it'll be my lowest mark. it can go get fucked' and failed to pick up a pen for it after that. I sat the exam, thought i went terribly and got 78%. you could surprise yourself by just doing your best.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)