Too late to totally change idea? (1 Viewer)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I really wanna change my idea for my story.......my current one isn't going anywhere and I hate sitting down to write it......would it be a totally stupid move to completely change my idea or should i just go for it. When I have an idea for something I can usually get it down in an hour or so, so I don't think time is an issue.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Im having the majorist stress attack, I wanna change it I just don't know if I have enough time to develop ideas

Huy

HSC
N/A
Be cautious about 'completely' changing your idea. I'd recommend that you keep whatever work you've already done, and start with your new story. If all else fails, you've got the previous story to fall back on. I don't think it is too late, however make a note of it and explain yourself in your process diary. I know somebody who had changed his entire major project, although it was documented and he is continuing with the work as required.

Again, I want to stress that you keep your current work, don't throw it away completely (think about the time you've invested into it), and pursue the new idea. If it succeeds, and you end up completing it, then you'll be able to throw away the old story. If it doesn't (knock on wood), then you'll be able to rely on the previous story.

:)

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
I don't think it's too late at all. There's a girl in my EE2 class who has only now started writing her short story and apparently a girl from my school last year didn't decide what she was going to do until about a month before it was due!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Thanks for the warning Huy, but the truth is I haven't really done much at all toward my 'previous' idea (about 700 words *cringe*) I know, I know, everyone reading this is probably shaking their heads thinking "she'll never get this done"

Leap

free falling
HSC
Yeah you should definitely change your idea if you don't like it - I changed mine 4 times before I found an idea I was truly passionate about, and now its so much easier to write, and I feel much less stressed, even though I haven't written anything for a couple of weeks.

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
the best way to go about it might be to think of your current idea and what you would need to change about it in order to be happy writing. that way you're not totally changing your idea but just developing it. will look better in the journal and relfection statement so it doesn't seem like you did all your work at the last minute

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
have u talked to ur teacher abt this? try to get her/his opinion.....i suggest you put ur new idea on paper..and see how far it can go....explore all da possibilites....and then when you are happy with the outline....do a compare and contrast with ur old one..how much better is it? in what areas ahve htis MW improved? etc...i must say writing/doing soemthing you are passionate abt...is da key...it is lyk meeh and my 3u...i so do not lyk it and never really bother with it....but with economics etc..i totalli luv it..and do my best..hence i always do well in it....not guaranteeing that you will get marks if you change your MW...but da pt is...and i am sure you have already found out....it is a lot easier doign somethign u are passionate abt...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
hehe I haven't told my teacher yet cos I only decided on Friday night and its now Sunday so yeah.

I can't change my idea to fit my new idea because the two are totally different and unrelated and I hate my idea right now it aint going anywhere and impacting on my other subjects.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
I really wanna change my idea for my story.......my current one isn't going anywhere and I hate sitting down to write it......would it be a totally stupid move to completely change my idea or should i just go for it. When I have an idea for something I can usually get it down in an hour or so, so I don't think time is an issue.
hey dude, i changed my idea a couple of weeks before the final due date of the major work.. my teachers had no idea. long story short, they were pretty clueless about what was going on with our class so when i gave them my final draft for them to read (this was the day before the due date too!) they had no idea..

having said that I wouldn't do what I did =S I spent about 10 days literally cooped in my room going insane and writing like mad

anyway you've prolly already changed your idea so i just crapped on for nothin :)

Procras_witfood

CHANGE YOUR IDEA!

If you feel like you can't write anything with Plan A then go for it. I changed mine 2 weeks ago (from a political satire to a quasi short story about domestic violence) and I've written my Major Work already, so if you take a risk, it could turn out for the best.

Who else finds it irritating that we always have to explain what we're doing in our M.W? Like if we do post-modernism, we have to explain why. Sometimes I'm just tempted to write, "cuz it sounds cool."

Good luck ;)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
wow, i did my major work on domestic violence too.

actually, maybe it's not that uncommon.

it was freakin interesting to research though. dangit, if i get my journals back from my school i'll give u a whole bunch of links n stuff k?

i did a survey too, like with just abotu everyone i know asking various stuff. you'd be pretty damned surprised how naive our society is about domestic violence... or, perhaps, ignorant is the more appropriate word.

Procras_witfood

[QUOTEwow, i did my major work on domestic violence too.

Thanks, your links and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would really be interested to know what your survey results were. What type of questions did you ask?

:)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hm, i'm going back to school next week to pick up my major work

pm me your e-mail addy and i'll send you as much of my research as i can humanly be bothered to :)

chip

HSC
hey did you end up totally changing?
how is it going?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yep I ended up totally and completely changing and Im soooooo happy for it. Ive done a lot of it, still a fair bit to do after this weekend (when I finish my last ever assignment!!) but I find it really enjoyable and Im varying styles throughout so its not going to take that long. Id like to have it finished by trials so I can have people looking at it while that is going on but I'll have to see what happens between now and then (Ive gotta fit some study in there somewhere!!!)

chip

HSC
when are your trials
mine are the next two weeks bloody ext and eng adv on the same day

Saul

*ss
HSC
if you do catholic trials, which most people do, then you have ext and advanced on the same day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)