Too many lawyers? (2 Viewers)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
If there's such a high demand for good lawyers, then why the ridicolously high UAI? :confused:
because its course demand not job demand that determines the cut off?

littlewing69 said:
The two aren't directly linked. Anyway, the lesser law schools have quite forgiving cut-offs.
Don't diss my soon to be law school:p
I <3 UWS for giving me a chance at law and < / 3 MQ for rejecting me like 1pt under the cut off

Edit: the broken heart was recognised as a tag:p

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
S1M0 said:
If there's such a high demand for good lawyers, then why the ridicolously high UAI? :confused:
As people have said, its not really related all that much, how good the lawyers turn out doesn't effect the uai's that much except that the uni's like to keep a certain either percieved or actual standard of graduate to keep their reputation etc...

Its typical supply and demand, they keep the supply of law places low, with a high demand a high UAI is the result of a large number of students seeking a place and that way law schools can be 'picky' as to which students they give places too, as the UAI is currently the only criteria used it is assumed that generally the students with high uai's would be stronger/better students thus better grads which show up the uni (this is often not the case)...thats how I see it, hopefully it made sense.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
ari89 said:
</3 MQ for rejecting me like 1pt under the cut off
Unfortunately thats how it is
Alot of my friends at UTS who got high 98 -> 99-99.10 UAI got rejected by UNSW which cutoff was 99.15 but they transferred after 1 year anyway so they are happy now.

If you wanna go to macq, just try your best at UWS and transfer after a year

Mel did that.

L

littlewing69

ari89 said:
because its course demand not job demand that determines the cut off?

Don't diss my soon to be law school:p
I <3 UWS for giving me a chance at law and </3 MQ for rejecting me like 1pt under the cut off

I was talking more about places like Uni of Canberra, where the cutoff is low 80s. Sensitive :p?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
UWS students cop a lot sometimes at the hands of trolls and thus tend to be sensitive. Its ok Ari89, my uai was 94.0 and macquarie's cut off was 95.5 when I applied, so I ended up at UWS which was 85 at the time, I think its back up to 90 now and I made a transfer with a few credits, a pass and a HD.

L

littlewing69

melsc said:
UWS students cop a lot sometimes at the hands of trolls and thus tend to be sensitive. Its ok Ari89, my uai was 94.0 and macquarie's cut off was 95.5 when I applied, so I ended up at UWS which was 85 at the time, I think its back up to 90 now and I made a transfer with a few credits, a pass and a HD.

Yeah I've noticed :). I wasn't trying to rag on anyone's uni, just pointing out that you can get into Law without a UAI of eleventy billion.

goan_crazy

HSC
Yeah its back up to 90 now
So yeah Ari89, work hard and you could have an offer for macquarie next year this time ;)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
goan_crazy said:
Unfortunately thats how it is
Alot of my friends at UTS who got high 98 -> 99-99.10 UAI got rejected by UNSW which cutoff was 99.15 but they transferred after 1 year anyway so they are happy now.

If you wanna go to macq, just try your best at UWS and transfer after a year

Mel did that.
Yeah thats what I'm gonna try and do...I was only just under the MQ cut offs for this year :(
(I could have got into dfee but don't want to build up such a debt so quickly)

btw I just checked my myspace and ur still in the friends request thing lol...im gonna accept now:p

melsc said:
So true...my friends are like 'wtf u got a good UAI, why are you at UWS?" then i get annoyed and say coz law is heaps better than Arts:p
Yeah it is back up to 90 this year...I'm glad for that in a sense

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Yeah but doesn't a demand for a particular profession/job in the workplace influence the availability of the course in uni?

So if there's a demand for good lawyers, then wouldn't the unis be more inclined to allow more people to do law and become lawyers?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
Yeah but doesn't a demand for a particular profession/job in the workplace influence the availability of the course in uni?

So if there's a demand for good lawyers, then wouldn't the unis be more inclined to allow more people to do law and become lawyers?
but theres till the mentality of high achievers who in their opinion must get into law or medicine...even if USYD was to have 100 more places for law the cut off would only go down slightly because people with the fantastical UAI's will still be going for it...

Something I've noticed in my limited experience is that many of hte people who miss out on law at USYD/UNSW/UTS don't go to the 'lesser' law schools such as UWS or MQ but do a course such as commerce in one of the USYD/UNSW/UTS unis...so thats probably why UWS etc have a relatively low law cut off. (The whole idea of uni prestige etc.)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
ari89 said:
but theres till the mentality of high achievers who in their opinion must get into law or medicine...even if USYD was to have 100 more places for law the cut off would only go down slightly because people with the fantastical UAI's will still be going for it...

Something I've noticed in my limited experience is that many of hte people who miss out on law at USYD/UNSW/UTS don't go to the 'lesser' law schools such as UWS or MQ but do a course such as commerce in one of the USYD/UNSW/UTS unis...so thats probably why UWS etc have a relatively low law cut off. (The whole idea of uni prestige etc.)
Oh k.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yes a lot of people are hung up on prestige and going to USYD etc.. but in the end I decided I could either take the choice and do law somewhere else and be studying what I want and have a definate place, or have a chance at a place in a degree I didn't like, if I got to Sydney that would be nice and make employment easier but in the end if I work hard, it will help, I am doing what I want and thats the main thing.

Some of the better law students I know did not get uber UAI's and are not at USYD but that doesnt mean that they are of a lesser standard as some might thing.

UWS also suffers because of its location and perception.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Some of the better law students I know did not get uber UAI's and are not at USYD but that doesnt mean that they are of a lesser standard as some might thing.

UWS also suffers because of its location and perception.
I agree....if you do really well at any uni it would be impossible to brand you a lesser standard in comparrison to anyone else.

And meh...uws' location is convenient for me (Parra that is...the rest are a hike for me still)

goan_crazy

HSC
Parramatta is very convinent
about 20 minutes from the hills

Blacktown is about 25 so thats not too bad either

But go to Parramatta

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
You can only do law at Parra or Campbelltown.

I am pretty lucky Bankstown and Parra were 20 mins or so away, MQ is about 25-30 mins away and Syd and UTs are about 15 mins by train but i've heard UWS and MQ are the best for people in the hills

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
You can only do law at Parra or Campbelltown.

I am pretty lucky Bankstown and Parra were 20 mins or so away, MQ is about 25-30 mins away and Syd and UTs are about 15 mins by train but i've heard UWS and MQ are the best for people in the hills
Yeah MQ is heaps close for me...went their heaps for history extension so I know the campus pretty well already...wish i got in there =(

goan_crazy

HSC
Yeah UWS or macq is the most convinent for hills people

for me being a hills person UTS is 1.5 hours away minimum :(
sometimes 2 depending on traffic

if theres a business class on at Kuringai, its quicker for me to drive there!

but laws only at UTS broadway

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
S1M0 said:

The cut-off at most unis are quite attainable if one actually tried in the hsc, and if they failed to make the cut-offs there's still the commonly taken LPAB path. If you want to study law you most definately can and I don't see any issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)