'Too' many scholarships (1 Viewer)

equazion

HSC
Has anyone ever accepted more than 2 scholarships at the same time? I was wondering what the likelihood of uws finding out, especially if from external source i.e will the external source inform uws. If u have had more than 2 at once were u caught?

TunaFish

HSC
I have emailed UWS about this. The Scholarships Unit says you may only hold maximum 1 category A (uni funded) scholarship, maximum 1 category B (donor funded) scholarship, and maximum 1 category C (commonwealth) scholarship.

ie you may hold more than 1 scholarship, however they must be from different categories.

Which scholarships are you going for/ have been awarded?

equazion

HSC
I actually have offers from each of 3 categories. The problem is that UWS stipulates u can't have more than 2 no matter what, in their policy for scholarships.

TunaFish

HSC
I actually have offers from each of 3 categories. The problem is that UWS stipulates u can't have more than 2 no matter what, in their policy for scholarships.
Risk it, unless the aforementioned policy is clearly stated in the scholarship contract. They're not going to rescind all three scholarship offers if they find out. Worst case scenario: they'll probably just make you pick 2.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Some med students have been caught out and were forced to pay the money back! They will find out once they do audits at the end of the year, it's not like there going to give you multiple amounts of money without checking. Please clarify the issue with the scholarships department.

Joga Bonito

HSC
So which category A offer did you receive? Do you know when we might receive offers for Deans scholars or Academic Excellence?

Lara1986

HSC
Risk it, unless the aforementioned policy is clearly stated in the scholarship contract. They're not going to rescind all three scholarship offers if they find out. Worst case scenario: they'll probably just make you pick 2.
No - that's not the worst case scenario.

Worst case scenario is you get away with it at first, but they eventually find out and when they find out - they make you pay back the money you have already received because you were breaching the scholarship conditions. I mean, hypothetically, if you got 2 $5k per year UWS scholarships plus the third one and you're found out in 3rd year - yes it's unlikely they'll make you pay it all back, but hypothetically they could make you fork out $30k you've probably already spent...

Having been in similar situations with scholarships - the best advice would be to contact the uni and ask them - some scholarships don't qualify. Eg I got the one off Blacktown Council Tertiary scholarship whilst being in receipt of the UWS Academic Excellence and the Blacktown Council Academic excellence ongoing scholarships and that was no problem.

So you may be able to have all three provided that it is a Donor A, a Donor B and a totally unrelated on.

If they say no, then just take the two that give you the most benefits.

EDIT: Also for those who aren't aware and think they can get around the system - even the external donor scholarships go through the uni. Eg I have a blacktown council one, but, the way it works is Blacktown Council gives the money each year to UWS and then UWS sends me the cheque. So chances are the uni is actually the one handing over the money so they will find out if they're in some way UWS related. But also - scholarship donors check with the uni to make sure you're correctly enrolled and therefore eligible so chances are they'll find out that way too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)