• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

too many units?? advice? (2 Viewers)

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Hi all

This year I'm doing:

English Advanced
Maths 3U (or extension)
Engineering
Chem
Physics
SDD
Japanese continuers

15 units total

Is that too much?

I sort of feel it is cos I have no 'free' (study) periods and finding it hard to get homework and assignments done. I have no time to study and so slightly falling behind a bit. I'm thinking of dropping a subject probably either engineering, chem or software. I'm thinking maybe software and posted a thread here to find out what there will be in software over the next 2 years.

Any help/ideas?

cheers

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
15 is too much, seriously...its very hard to keep 13 units alone in year 12 (well it was for me) So you will most likely have to drop 2 subjects

overwhelming

15 is a tad 2 much..

do remember that only 10 units count in the HSC.

Why do the extra 3 units required in year 11??
what is ure reason?

YAY !! my 200th post!!

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by overwhelming
15 is a tad 2 much..

do remember that only 10 units count in the HSC.

Why do the extra 3 units required in year 11??
what is ure reason?
I agree with what you are saying overwhelming but the HSC takes your 5 BEST subjects that you achieved high in (i think it is anyway) so even if you do software, think about which 5, out of the ones you do, are you excellent/average or good at. Or, if there are only like 4, just do a backup subject just in case. So basically I reckon about 6 is the maximum. But it's entirely up to you, if you want to drop it then go ahead :)

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
If you can handle it right now, keep them. You may not like one of them later, and it gives you the option of dropping anything

Just don't do 15 units for yr 12 :)

overwhelming

Originally posted by Kulazzi
I agree with what you are saying overwhelming but the HSC takes your 5 BEST subjects that you achieved high in (i think it is anyway) so even if you do software, think about which 5, out of the ones you do, are you excellent/average or good at. Or, if there are only like 4, just do a backup subject just in case. So basically I reckon about 6 is the maximum. But it's entirely up to you, if you want to drop it then go ahead :)
yes but dont u think it is smarter to focus on just 10units and take ure chances??

I mean sure there are ppl at Ruse who do 17units and get over 90 in each and every unit, but realistically - do u think u can do that?

:p

I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything, but srsly consider dropping some units to decrease the amount of workload which is really unnecessary.

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
yep - I think I'm likely to be doing 12 or 13 units in year 12 cos if you stuff up in the exam in one of the subjects then your best 10 units are taken and so gives you the safety.

plus I'm doing accelerated maths so that exam (2 unit) should be out of the way this year if I do well in the exam.

I'm thinking of maybe dropping sdd, engineering (all writing - no prac - plus difficult), or japanese (whch I'm doing by distant ed - I'm way behind in the work and only really doing it at the moment cos I like it and am good at it - but at the moment I'm not thinking of doing Japanese at uni or anything like that)

?????????? :confused:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
im only doing ten, but im making sure thats its my BEST ten and that the subject i dropped have a low chance of being counted in my uai...think about it for awhile before u drop anything and talk it over with teachers..

Alexander

Gold Member
I was doing 12 units but i was 100% sure that I.T. was my worst subject, so i dropped it. Now i do 10, beyong the point of return.
I rather concentrate on fewer subjects then dillute your efforts over lots

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
15 is alot. i guess you can take 15 now since your only in year 11, but when you get up to year 12, then i reccomend you drop a subject or 2. if you find it hard balancing things out now, then you should drop (imagine what the hsc would be like!) but yeah, as you said, your not having time to do homeowrk-thats a sign you need to drop. use this time to figure out what you want to drop and drop before year 12 starts. because if you drop during year 12, then you have wasted time and effort to keep up in that course when you couldve put effort into another and brought yourself up ;)
good luck mate :)

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Originally posted by overwhelming
yes but dont u think it is smarter to focus on just 10units and take ure chances??
I think there r statisctics somewhere for the 2002 maybe 2003 hsc which had that 85% of students who did more than 10 units in year 12 got a 90 or higher uai

prove me wrong! :D

Estel

Tutor
HSC
That's not true... they only showed that students who did more units on average did better.

Think of it this way:
16% of students get over 90
About 50% of students do 11 or more units.
It doesn't require 4 unit maths to see you've been fed false statistics. :)

On the other hand, I wish I had the opportunity to do 15 units. My fascist school only allows me to do 12 in Yr 11. If you enjoy your subjects, do them.

HSC
i think it's best to stick with 15 units for now but since it's only the first term of yr 11 you should enjoy while you can and when yr 12 begins, if 15 units of your subjects put too much pressure on you, it's recommendable to drop 1 or 2 subjects to decrease the stress. cos if by the end of yr 11 you have been through way too much pressure and stress in your work, you'll might not be able to survive through yr 12 with flying colours considering that 15 units in yr 12 is too much. it is mostly recommended to do around 10-->12 units so if at the end you want to drop down a subject, drop one in which you do the most poorly in during the prelim course. if you did the best in all subjects AND you have excellent time management techniques which will work for the hsc year then you may stick to 15 units. :) :) :)

same as estel, my school has a really fascist subject selecting system so i wasn't allowed to do 3 unit maths (which i didn't regret afterwards when i had to do it in tutoring and it sucked) and also no one is allowed to choose more than 12 units.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
right now im doing 13 units (4 yr 12, 9 yr 11) and thats hard enough on me. i think 11 units is okay for yr 12, im thinking of dropping ancient and picking up ext history next yr so i'll have 11 too (although i'll technically only be doing 7 units), its not overworking yourself or anythng

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Originally posted by Meera
im only taking 11 units into the HSC is that bad?
Heaps of people do 11. It's not bad...it just means that you don't have many units as backup. It's fine if you are confident with your subjects

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
haha why are you doing 15u for ?! you don't need* it . mmm i'm doing 14u at the moment n i'm thinking of dropping one of my subjects . i need my sleep and relaxation too. anywHO . hope all the best for you . mm you should probably drop the subject you find boring the most or the one you're struggling in . bleh .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)