• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

too many units?? advice? (1 Viewer)

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
the average number of units for students that get over 95 in there uai is 13... i think 12-13 in the safest option in units... and doing 4u maths realy give u a bit of leverage because u dont do the 2unit course...
but i hink do as u please as long as u can cope, because ur subjects r not easy

JamiL

HSC

same as estel, my school has a really fascist subject selecting system so i wasn't allowed to do 3 unit maths (which i didn't regret afterwards when i had to do it in tutoring and it sucked) and also no one is allowed to choose more than 12 units. [/B]

same as my skool.. i didn have problems with my subjects thou alot of my freands did...
they wouldn let us do more then 12 units 2... which was alryt i prb pick 1 unit up next yr (ext 2 maths)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by treelovinhippie
I think there r statisctics somewhere for the 2002 maybe 2003 hsc which had that 85% of students who did more than 10 units in year 12 got a 90 or higher uai

prove me wrong! :D
the statistic was that 85 percent of people that got like over 95 did at least on extra unit

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
15 is alot. i guess you can take 15 now since your only in year 11, but when you get up to year 12, then i reccomend you drop a subject or 2.
on the contrary, HSC courses can include up to 30% of year 11 material. this means that you need a firm grounding in year 11 work if you wanna do well or at least not make life hard for yourself trying to catch up in year 12. remember in terms of UAI marks, only 10 units count (so you may as well do them well). if you continue with 15 all the way through year 11, you've effectively wasted your time on 5 extra units that won't count. 11/12 or possibly 13 units if you're eager is probably the most ideal in the sense that if you do badly in one 2U subject it won't matter.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by overwhelming
I mean sure there are ppl at Ruse who do 17units and get over 90 in each and every unit, but realistically - do u think u can do that?
The real question is whats the point?

Ideally you should do 12 units, or 13 if you have to do Religion and suck at it

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
nah..I'm doing 14 units including 3 units of yr 12 maths. just persevere, it'll pay off. I know someone who did 16.

JamiL

HSC
i am doin 12 this year and hoping 2 pick up ext2 maths next year 2 make 13 units (but im doin rel and that is a sleep class)... if u do ten units u can do 10 real well... but if u stuff up ur introuble... if u do more units u dont want 2 overload urslef... but u do have breathing space... nothing is 4sure, do wot u think is right... weigh up ur options and dont jus follow the crowed

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
There's a guy in my grade who does 15 units. He does well in them all, but I don't think he gets much sleep.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
There not much point doing more than 10 units. You won't "stuff up" if you work hard enough at them. Supposing you didn't "stuff up" any subect by doing 12, you would have got better in your best 10 if you had just focused on them.

Having said that, I'm probably doing 12 or 13 units- though it's forced. :p

If I were going to do 16 units, it would be purely out of interest, not out of any hope to improve my marks.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
um...yeh...I'm doing the extra subjects cos I enjoy them, not just to get good marks...I actually wanted to do 16 units but the school wouldn't let me...I'm willing to work harder and sleep less...but that's just me. I know in the HSC only ten units count, but if you do more than ten then its the aggregate of your best ten units...so if you do one subject and suck at it you still have a shot at a great UAI. but if you really can't handle it you should drop some subjects.

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
I'm in year 11, I was doing 14 units but i just recently dropped Software Design so now i'm doing 12 units. I find school is much better now, i really didn't want the extra work from a subject that i found out i didn't really have an interest in afterwards.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay ill give my 2 cents.. I did 14 units (3u Eng. 3u Maths, Modern, Drama, Phys, Chem) I almost DIED! i ended up dropping phys and the 3rd unit of maths and picked up an extra of english and im doing much less work.. and its better! TOO much!

beverly

HSC
N/A
drop drop drop! 15 units is crazy!
i was on 13 and everyone seemed to have less work than i did...i couldnt imagine being on 15

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
for year 11 15units is on the boundard of too much, but if you can handle it then by all means keep 15
but once you get into yr12
15unit is overkill and you will be wasting too much time....unless you really list studying and don't get out much...but each to his/her own

beverly

HSC
N/A
yeh, i mean of course there are ways to cope with it and some people are totally cool with doing 15 units. i know someone who did 14 units for yr 12 and got 90+ for all of them, but she really enjoyed herself.

personally, i think that your other subjects might excel to a great extent if you did fewer, and lets face it, enjoy only having to do 10!

Kuya

thats too much. plain and simple. choose the ones that you know will get you the best marks and drop the rest.

AM04

Great opportunity

I did 15 units in year 11 to give myself a broad range of subjects to choose from when i began year 12. I was top 3 in all my subjects except for maths of which i ranked 11th. So the moral of the story is you can succeed with 15 units in year 11. However i wouldn't recommend taking on this challenge in year twelve. I dropped Physics and Drama, in thier place i picked up English extension 2 and history extension, hence i am doing 13 units for my HSC (and it is a sufficient workload in itself!). Dont stress, just relax and have fun :)

Preliminary subjects:

Advanced English
Extension english 1
Mathematics
Physics
Business
Economics
Drama
Modern History

HSC Subjects:

Advanced English
English Extension 1
English Extension 2
Modern History
History Extension
Economics
Business Studies
Mathematics

Last edited:

AM04

reply to will_sparky's comment

Will_Sparky
Executive Member

Originally posted by Will_Sparky
Okay ill give my 2 cents.. I did 14 units (3u Eng. 3u Maths, Modern, Drama, Phys, Chem) I almost DIED! i ended up dropping phys and the 3rd unit of maths and picked up an extra of english and im doing much less work.. and its better! TOO much!
.... I think you will find it rather difficult for anybody to accept your 2 cents... 5 cents is hardly tangible these days!!...they don't even accept them in vending machines anymore ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)