Too much focus on HSC marks? (3 Viewers)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
volition said:
The issue with the UAI is that it sums up a person with one number, when people are multifaceted.

Let me give you an example: My two best mates: One got a UAI of 94.5 and the other got a UAI of 81.15. The one who got the UAI 81.15 would be much more suited to being a journalist, and this is something we all agree on. Now, which one would have had it easier to get into a journalism course? The one with the UAI 94.5 of course.

People can end up being assessed more on their other skills rather than their ability in that particular subject.
yeh uts is purely uai, but the news limited people dont have much respect for that one. they respect the csu bathurst journalism course - which requires a portfolio and a possible interview. i reckon thats pretty good. then we have courses such as the one at usc (qld) which is really good but with an equiv. uai cut-off of 65.

BlackDragon

HSC
generally, i agree with the "considering more than the UAI" thing. but it should be taken course by course. I think this because all throughout my schooling life i have been one of the top students, even this year i have been a top student, with very high ranks and good marks. but, i've increasingly come to hate school and hate the subjects that i've learnt in school, and now 5 days out from the first exam, after not having studied very much at all, i'm not going to do very well at all. (compared to what i would have got). yet, you put me into any course offered, and i would do well. hence, we have to consider more than the uai. we have to consider the circumstances underwhich the uai was reached. and if this person seems to have academic or merit otherwise, test them some other way, or determine their ability to suceed using a combination of things.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Academic achievements in pre-HSC years mean next to nothing unless they are external. This is because you are forced to take a lot of bs subjects and you can get high marks from simply being an ass lick.

after not having studied very much at all, i'm not going to do very well at all.
If you studied (the right way) consistently throughout the semester/year but do nothing leading up to your exams you would still be able to get a very high score. On the other hand, if you did nothing during the year then seriously, I hope you fail miserably because you would deserve to.

yet, you put me into any course offered, and i would do well.
How do you know? You haven't even made it into your course yet. Besides, how many people make statements like that and go on to average 85+ in uni? None.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Lol, BlackDragon, you sound like one of those people who have been discussed on this site before, who get their poor exam results and are like "Oh well, I know I would have got the highest mark if I'd studied."

By the way, fix the spelling mistake in your signature, it's bugging me.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
If you're too lazy to study at school, you'll certainly not-study at uni, considering there's absolutely no one encouraging or forcing you to study like there is at school.

But I guess most people are content with Passes anyway.

phrred

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
If you're too lazy to study at school, you'll certainly not-study at uni, considering there's absolutely no one encouraging or forcing you to study like there is at school.

True to a certain extent.
Ive found ive done a lot better at uni because im studying things i actually enjoy. Also, because im older and more mature i find that i care more about my marks

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:

Not true, I didn't care about high school/UAI marks, and am doing much better at Uni because of the freedom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)