Too much time wasted? (1 Viewer)

Zokunu

HSC
Hey

Ah I think i'm wasting too much time in English and at the point where I barely wrote anything at all.

Basically our tutor provided us with notes, and these notes are so detailed where you can basically craft an essay out of it. So whenever I write an essay I will keep , reading and reading, until I find a perfect line or point that fits into the paragraph or sentence I'm writing. Tbh, i rarely write sentences for an essay on the spot or think on the top of my head on what I'm gonna write next.

To make it simpler, I read TOO MUCH and sorta waste time in order to steal (not plagerise, relax) good points from other essays or notes, and mould it around to make a sentence out of it.

Littlehelp please, what do you guys usually do?

Soz for a dumb question by the way.

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I always write ideas I like from other essays during my brainstorming time, and think what do I really want to say about the text before starting to write it all out. Don't get too hung up about using other people's ideas, it's fine to come up with your own. TBH, I think you're too secure with the resources you have so that's probably why you're over-reliant.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I waste a lot of time too. Since I need to finish like 3 essays these hols, each day I'm dedicating exactly 2 hours to write the "perfect" paragraph, 2 paras if I finsh early. Dueing this time, in the first hour and 15 mins I usually write down quotes, phrases which are appealing from other resources etc. then, in the 45 minutes it's the easy part. Simply putting pen to paper using all of the notes I brainstormed earlier. It works and you get more efficient at it. Don't waste too much time doing that as you might "fool" yourself into thinking you are being productive, when really you may not be. Allocate a specific time limit. Good luck!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The important thing to remember is not to strive for perfection, but to strive for answering the question as closely as possible based on your knowledge. Remember, spending too long at finding the 'perfect sentence' will be detrimental in exam conditions-where you are at the risk of spending too much time trying to remember what the 'perfect sentence' is or you won't be flexible enough to adapt your knowledge to answer the question as closely as possible.

mreditor16

HSC
Hey

Ah I think i'm wasting too much time in English and at the point where I barely wrote anything at all.

Basically our tutor provided us with notes, and these notes are so detailed where you can basically craft an essay out of it. So whenever I write an essay I will keep , reading and reading, until I find a perfect line or point that fits into the paragraph or sentence I'm writing. Tbh, i rarely write sentences for an essay on the spot or think on the top of my head on what I'm gonna write next.

To make it simpler, I read TOO MUCH and sorta waste time in order to steal (not plagerise, relax) good points from other essays or notes, and mould it around to make a sentence out of it.

Littlehelp please, what do you guys usually do?

Soz for a dumb question by the way.
Hey,

I understand where you're coming from. Now, what would be good to do in your scenario is simply read through and highlight any good points or something you can incorporate in while reading ALL the notes you get from tutor. Then, sit down and when writing essay/paragraphs when you're stuck for ideas or confused or need inspiration, simply go through only the stuff you highlighted, and this will make everything much quicker. Also, try reading everything you highlighted before you start writing your essay, so you will get a boost from that.

Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)