Too tired of travel (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I'd like to see anyone achieve half of what I can with modest goals. If you're satisfied with a low aim theres no way you're even going to reach the top. Mock me all you want, i'm glad to be the butt of your jokes if it gives you a little more comfort with your insecurities and fears of moving outside your comfort zone.
come back in 6 months when you've burnt out/had a breakdown and then we'll talk about goals.

my current goal is to make it through the day tomorrow without throwing up or passing out. I will however settle for turning up at some point and maybe even attending a class. *deaaaaaaath*

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
but guys its just like HIGH school! Except more freedom. And coffee.

I can do anything if I just apply my ritalinated mind to it.

DESTROYING AMERICA.

Rextu

HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but marks are scaled to a bell curve. That means they've allocated 5% of the cohort to get high distinctions and therefore there are always going to be people who get them.

I suppose it could also depend not on how much ritalin is in your veins, but how much alcohol is in the veins of your peers.

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but marks are scaled to a bell curve. That means they've allocated 5% of the cohort to get high distinctions and therefore there are always going to be people who get them.
Shit, really? I never knew this information. Good on you for sharing! +1 for your rep, kind sir!

Yeah the point is the 5% won't include the giant douche who's arrogant enough to proclaim that he'll do it as an average, while constantly overloading. Even if he IS asian.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I don't know about the rest of you but I find 4 subjects a semester to be a pretty damn adequate load of work. Maybe that's because for the past few semesters this faculty has enjoyed cramming whole semesters of work into 7 weeks or less, idk, but yeah. Overloading = no thanks

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
To be perfectly honest, all my high school friends get HDs every semester, since first year. Yes, they don't see sunlight. Yes, they have no social life. Yes, I remind them to eat and see me occassionally but otherwise, its okay.

ALSO, my friend who lives on campus (via scholarship) overloads every semester, does summer school and still maintains the HD average purely out of interest for her subjects. She's also the treasurer for some WHIGS economics crap and head of some other society. She's my hero and she parties.

So yknow, don't rip on the new kid just yet.

But srsly newbie, don't get your hopes up.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Heh.

It all seems unfeasible, if you're unaware of options other than overloading. But there are other ways to complete a degree faster other than overloading.

This is the misunderstanding thats probably making everyone think i'm psycho for accelerating.

Lots of people probably know that its unwise to decide on an unattainable goal. Im aware of it too. If you pick a completely crazy goal then you'll probably fail every step of the way and get demoralised very quickly.

Im also aware that if you aim high, you're also much more likely to exceed a low level goal. I might 'lose' by not acheiving my goals, but I will have 'won' because i'd have acheived far more than I would if I aimed low.

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Meh, I don't see why you'd want to rush uni. It's awesome.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Are you serious scarybunny?
I'm all for get in, get out ASAP. I'd overload but I'm too lazy for that.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I've had the best time in the last 4 years.

Yeah the work is hard, but the ridiculous holidays are the best. There's time for a social life, the real world hasn't started yet.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I like uni. I actually had a slight freak out the other day when I realised I can't actually stay here forever. Do actually have to graduate and go work and shit.

I guess the good thing about being a teacher is that hopefully you'll still stay in contact with all your uni friends. Because they're awesome people and it would suck to hardly see them/talk to them after graduation.

However, already this semester doing what I call the stress swim. Where you look forward to the weekend like a drowning person getting to shore....because you'll have time to do assignments and work that you don't have time to do during the week. I cannot wait for saturday. Going to assignment-bash like WHOA. Swim swim swim

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah it's quite scary that this time next year I'll (hopefully) be qualified and teaching.

Eep. Although it'll be nice to be paid for all the work for a change.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
As if you didn't know that about me already. :rolleyes:

Also, I get paid a lot to tutor. It sucks the life out of me even though I love it and I love the kids I tutor. I think teaching at an actual school will be horrid compared to my work environment mostly because the tutoring centre is selective about the students we pick to attend and we have immense control. Actually that sounds bad but whatever. :cool:

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
i feel pretty apathetic towards any kid that i tutor. i try to be enthusiastic and i think that's what comes across, but inside im not that into it.

how much you get paid? i get $26 an hour which i feel is very reasonable, given that i make a mere $19 an hour at the other job which i'm going to quit very, very soon (once i save up enough money for a snow trip this winter).

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Will PM you how much I make. Mostly because my work place is (in)famous and I'm worried.

roookie

HSC
I wrote a really long post and then I lost it so now I'm sad :(

EDIT: The travel still sucks so much. Yesterday I woke up at 4.30am to get ready, and got all pumped up for my 8am start. Left home at 5.20 ONLY to have horrible transport problems with my bus coming more than an hour later (it's meant to come every 15-20 minutes). Ended up being super late to uni.

Anyway, good to know others have been/are in my situation, and have gotten through it fine. :D Don't have many options, so will try to make the best of it.

Last edited:

spence

HSC
Heh.

It all seems unfeasible, if you're unaware of options other than overloading. But there are other ways to complete a degree faster other than overloading.
Out of curiosity, how can you finish faster without overloading or summer school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)