Too young to be a tutor...? (1 Viewer)

tehcreativ1

HSC
Heyy guys =D I was just flipping through the posts regarding tutoring- most tutors seem to be in first year uni or older, as well as a few random year 12s here and there. I was wondering if people start tutoring at younger ages (e.g. my age =D) and if so, where do they start?

I don't really have much experience. However, I've assisted in teaching at my art teacher's place and I've had to handle classes before.

Is year 10 too early to think about being a tutor?

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Hey,
It depends on you, really - like what you think you'd be good at tutoring, etc. I've known a few friends who tutored at that age, for eg, for selective school entrance. I think at that age tho, it'd be easiest to get a job like that if u have family friends u can tutor.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I started tutoring yr 7's in numeracy while i was in yr 9 and last year i tutored yr7's in english-literacy. I've even got a tafe certificate in voluntary tutoring. It depends on who your going to teach though and u must be able to follow the syllabus. What subjects do u want to tutor and what yr's are u going to tutor?

P

pLuvia

Well my friend tutors year 8 - 10 and he's in year 12 this year

tehcreativ1

HSC
Mainly I want to tutor maths, though I'm at a decent level in most subjects. I'm also thinking about teaching piano.
I'm not really sure what years to tutor though. I think the main problem is that although I would prefer tutoring people in high school, parents etc might think I'm a bit inexperienced.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
tehcreativ1 said:
Mainly I want to tutor maths, though I'm at a decent level in most subjects. I'm also thinking about teaching piano.
I'm not really sure what years to tutor though. I think the main problem is that although I would prefer tutoring people in high school, parents etc might think I'm a bit inexperienced.
People generally have the impression that age = quality. While this isn't always true, age does equal experience. You could start with low rates, or free trial lessons, and if your students feel that you are capable, they'll recommend you to others and you can start raising the price.

Being in year 10 limits you to tutoring younger grades - it's usually senior high school students who want tutoring, so you might not have a lot of "customers" - especially when so many undergraduates are offering tutoring. That being said, it's good to get some teaching experience.

As for piano-teaching, it depends on which grade you've completed. That pretty AMuS certificate would always attract students. :p

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
tehcreativ1 said:
All the high schools in my area have peer tutoring schemes during roll call. Ask one of your maths teachers about starting a system up with your local TAFE, by the end of the year u will get a TAFE certificate in voluntary peer tutoring numeracy skills. If u are made to tutor certain people at school such as problamatic yr 7 kids who cant do maths u will have a hard time controlling those little sh*ts and will probably hassle u in the playground since they were forced to be tutored. I dont think parents would want to pay someone who is inexperienced to tutor a child. If u want to tutor kids in school it would most likely have to be free and voluntary.

Undertoad

HSC
You could maybe use your age as an advantage. If you were tutoring a yr 7 or 8 student then you have completed that course more recently and are still very familiar with all aspects of it. I tutor a yr11 student in maths but I would have to revise over the yr 7/8 course before tutoring in it and although that wouldn't take long I'd prefer to be tutored by someone really familiar with the course. Not sure how other people feel about that though.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Undertoad said:
You could maybe use your age as an advantage. If you were tutoring a yr 7 or 8 student then you have completed that course more recently and are still very familiar with all aspects of it. I tutor a yr11 student in maths but I would have to revise over the yr 7/8 course before tutoring in it and although that wouldn't take long I'd prefer to be tutored by someone really familiar with the course. Not sure how other people feel about that though.
I don't agree with that.

I think an older student who performed reasonably well in HSC Mathematics (and extensions) would be more capable, because you never stop practising what's taught in the lower years - any HSC-type question would require the basic skills obtained from years ago. Plus, a post-HSC student would have more experience, would have come across a wider range of questions, and would have a firmer grasp of the basics.

Undertoad

HSC
Guess it's personal opinion. I'd prefer that but anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)