Top 10 Hardest HSC Subjects (1 Viewer)

osciggyz

HSC
I know this is a pretty pointless post, but I was curious about what are the hardest HSC subjects (excluding languages). It will be cool to gain different perspective on this matter. Anyways this is my top 10 based off mine and some of my mates opinions:
1. Maths Ext 2
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
4. Maths Ext 1
5. Economics
6. Biology
7. Engineering
8. Modern
9. Eng Adv/Std
10. SDD

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd put 3u a little further down, it really isn't that difficult if you seriously put time into understanding it. Eco would probably be higher than chem personally. I found eco fun and concepts were very fun to learn, but the amount of content to memorise and policies fk me dead.

Luke322

HSC
English is in a different dimension in terms of difficulty, don't even get me started on it. 4u second, yeah I agree eco higher and 3u lower. Modern I find especially hard, probably moreso than eco but that's probably just me. Physics is probably right behind 4u, some of the concepts require a high level of conceptual understanding. Don't know about Engineering, but biology maybe a little lower.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
I think (super biased)

1. Maths Ext 2
2. Eng Adv/Std
3. Physics
4. Economics
5. Maths Ext 1
6. Chemistry
7. Modern
8. Engineering
9. Biology
10. SDD

why are languages being excluded? I'm pretty sure Latin would be up high

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Apparently engineering is way more time consuming and less enjoyable making it extremely tedious and tiresome from my social group but idk. The projects seem really tedious but would tedious be a factor in difficulty?

Economics was pretty chill for the first four topics imo but the policies and systems stepped up the difficulty quite a bit because you have to memorise quite a lot. Assuming this is the new difficulty for hSC.

Luke322

HSC
I think (super biased)

1. Maths Ext 2
2. Eng Adv/Std
3. Physics
4. Economics
5. Maths Ext 1
6. Chemistry
7. Modern
8. Engineering
9. Biology
10. SDD

True, completely forgot about languages. My list, again completely biased

1. English Adv
2. Maths Ext. 2
3. Latin/Latin Extension
4. Physics
5. Modern
6. Economics
7. Chemistry
8. Engineering
9. Biology
10. SDD

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I think (super biased)

1. Maths Ext 2
2. Eng Adv/Std
3. Physics
4. Economics
5. Maths Ext 1
6. Chemistry
7. Modern
8. Engineering
9. Biology
10. SDD

Language is a fake subject. HSC subjects are pointless after year 12. Imagine learning a subject that actually gave you some skills that could be carried on later. Couldn't be me lol. Even for some practical subjects like eco, it's all theoretical atm and half the stuff we learn is outdated/ should theoretically work but doesn't irl.
*I am currently relearning chinese, just for fun, not as a subject. Not hating on languages. Just straight banter.

Last edited:

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A

osciggyz

HSC
I'd put 3u a little further down, it really isn't that difficult if you seriously put time into understanding it. Eco would probably be higher than chem personally. I found eco fun and concepts were very fun to learn, but the amount of content to memorise and policies fk me dead.
Personally, especially with 4u id put 3u way lower but many people may disagree

osciggyz

HSC
English is in a different dimension in terms of difficulty, don't even get me started on it. 4u second, yeah I agree eco higher and 3u lower. Modern I find especially hard, probably moreso than eco but that's probably just me. Physics is probably right behind 4u, some of the concepts require a high level of conceptual understanding. Don't know about Engineering, but biology maybe a little lower.
I would put english higher, but the fact that you can get away with minimal study makes it easier. Maths on the other hands much more study and attention.

Luke322

HSC
Language is a fake subject. HSC subjects are pointless after year 12. Imagine learning a subject that actually gave you some skills that could be carried on later. Couldn't be me lol. Even for some practical subjects like eco, it's all theoretical atm and half the stuff we learn is outdated/ should theoretically work but doesn't irl.
I think that yes, subjects like English don't really come into importance very often (although i do believe it does develop your writing skills which can be very important depending on job you do). However, subjects such as eco you use statistics from extremely recent sources and the theory itself doesn't need to change. I personally think eco is very important as it teaches extremely important skills that apply to everybody. Overall, the importance of subjects is dependent on what career you want to do I would say.

Luke322

HSC
I would put english higher, but the fact that you can get away with minimal study makes it easier. Maths on the other hands much more study and attention.
That's true, especially when you use someone else's essay and put in a bunch of synonyms like half of my cohort. Maths does require constant practice to ensure that you come across every type of question possible.

Luke322

HSC
Yeah eco is pretty hard; truckload of content to memorise and memorising so many essays is a nightmare. Though I wouldn't compare it to the likes of 4u or physics

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I wouldn't rank Latin as high as some of you guys might, I personally believe Chinese would be more difficult. Keep in mind that languages like English and French have Latin roots, meaning that speaking one of (or both) languages may result in learning and performing well in Latin becoming easier, whereas having no background in a language like Chinese can make it much more difficult to learn, and subsequently take as an HSC subject. My top list doesn't take into account science subjects mainly because I only took 1 science subject, and dropped it at the end of year 11, but it does consider HSIE subjects.

My personal top 10 most difficult subjects (including languages):
  1. Mathematics Extension 2
  2. English Extension 2
  3. Mathematics Extension 1
  4. Chinese
  5. Latin Extension
  6. English Advanced and English Extension 1
  7. Latin Continuers
  8. Economics and Legal Studies
  9. Mathematics Advanced
  10. English Standard and Mathematics Standard
It's quite difficult to limit yourself to 10 subjects but this is what I think :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)