HSC
1. Physics
2. Maths ext 2
3. Eco
4. Any english
5. Chem
6. biology
7. Maths ext 1/adv math
9. any D tier humanity subject (ie all of them)

notme123

HSC
i think there needs to be a consensus on what "harder" means
"harder" to do what?
cos i think what many people consider when they choose a subject is how hard it is to get a good mark in it, say a band 6
and in that case definitely english is on top, because even thought the subject matter of mx2 is quite abstract and complex (literally), it only requires rote practice and once you get the swing of it you're practically guaranteed very high scaled marks, but that isn't as true for english
similarly, languages would not make the list cos if you try in a language and are somewhat passionate, a band 6 is quite achievable for many

just my thoughts owo
so true i cant do history for the life of me so that would be relatively hard for me
i could probably perform better in maths than modhi and anhi

sab13562

HSC
I know this is a pretty pointless post, but I was curious about what are the hardest HSC subjects (excluding languages). It will be cool to gain different perspective on this matter. Anyways this is my top 10 based off mine and some of my mates opinions:
1. Maths Ext 2
2. Physics
3. Chemistry
4. Maths Ext 1
5. Economics
6. Biology
7. Engineering
8. Modern
9. Eng Adv/Std
10. SDD
Excluding ext 1 and 2, economics scales higher than all the listed subjects, even the sciences! And chemistry scales higher than physics.

osciggyz

HSC
Personally, I wouldn't rank Latin as high as some of you guys might, I personally believe Chinese would be more difficult. Keep in mind that languages like English and French have Latin roots, meaning that speaking one of (or both) languages may result in learning and performing well in Latin becoming easier, whereas having no background in a language like Chinese can make it much more difficult to learn, and subsequently take as an HSC subject. My top list doesn't take into account science subjects mainly because I only took 1 science subject, and dropped it at the end of year 11, but it does consider HSIE subjects.

My personal top 10 most difficult subjects (including languages):
  1. Mathematics Extension 2
  2. English Extension 2
  3. Mathematics Extension 1
  4. Chinese
  5. Latin Extension
  6. English Advanced and English Extension 1
  7. Latin Continuers
  8. Economics and Legal Studies
  9. Mathematics Advanced
  10. English Standard and Mathematics Standard
It's quite difficult to limit yourself to 10 subjects but this is what I think :)
bruh how is math advanced harder than the sciences

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought economics was just another version of business studies
Economics is a bit more difficult and scales relatively better than Business Studies and Legal Studies.

bruh your how is math advanced harder than the sciences
I believe you misread/misunderstood my post. I wasn't suggesting that Mathematics Advanced is more difficult than Science subjects, I was excluding Science subjects from my list due to my limited knowledge of those subjects. If I were to include Science subjects in my list, I would definitely rank them as more difficult than Mathematics Advanced :)

osciggyz

HSC
Economics is a bit more difficult and scales relatively better than Business Studies and Legal Studies.

I believe you misread/misunderstood my post. I wasn't suggesting that Mathematics Advanced is more difficult than Science subjects, I was excluding Science subjects from my list due to my limited knowledge of those subjects. If I were to include Science subjects in my list, I would definitely rank them as more difficult than Mathematics Advanced :)
oh my bad

quickoats

HSC
MX2 is not as other-worldly as people make it seem. But yeah it’s probably the hardest HSC subject. Now where’s the thread on the easiest/bludgiest subjects 😂

Luke322

HSC
Personally, I love maths and a good challenge so MX2 was really good for me, although I should have done better. It definitely is the hardest subject in the HSC I would say. However, it is important to note that scaling is not in a directly proportional relationship with the difficulty of a subject. It's not a nice little y=mx+c, more like some weird sorta relation that does not pass the vertical line test. Economics is a difficult subject due to the sheer amount of content required to be learnt which translates into difficult essays and short answers. I've already made by feelings on MC quite clear.

yanujw

HSC
No one gonna talk about music? They play excerpts a few times and then you have to extrapolate instruments, tone colour, texture (wtf???), do a whole english extension level analysis, notate bars and whatnot. That truly is an innate skill.

idkkdi

HSC
Personally, I love maths and a good challenge so MX2 was really good for me, although I should have done better. It definitely is the hardest subject in the HSC I would say. However, it is important to note that scaling is not in a directly proportional relationship with the difficulty of a subject. It's not a nice little y=mx+c, more like some weird sorta relation that does not pass the vertical line test. Economics is a difficult subject due to the sheer amount of content required to be learnt which translates into difficult essays and short answers. I've already made by feelings on MC quite clear.
why's mc bad? u seen phys q20s bro?

satvik_1008

HSC
I'd put 3u a little further down, it really isn't that difficult if you seriously put time into understanding it. Eco would probably be higher than chem personally. I found eco fun and concepts were very fun to learn, but the amount of content to memorise and policies fk me dead.
I honestly didn't find economics to have that much memorisation, honestly most memorization should just be stats and stuff. Everything else you should know anyways by having a deep understanding of the course, and if ur just memorizing everything, that's not a good sign

notme123

HSC
I honestly didn't find economics to have that much memorisation, honestly most memorization should just be stats and stuff. Everything else you should know anyways by having a deep understanding of the course, and if ur just memorizing everything, that's not a good sign
ye true but mainly keywords are a pain because if you don't include key phrases you automatically lose 99999 marks. I usually memorise key words, logic flow and stats

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)