Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by sukiyaki
minai can you check how these schools went
+ parramatta high
+ trinty catholic
+ arthur phillp
unfortunately none of those schools featured in the top 120 (so i dont kno)
but if Trinity catholic is trinity grammar, then they came 71st

Sarah

HSC
N/A
minai how did u find out the rankings of the other schools?

Sarah

HSC
N/A
in regards to the way schools are ranked, I think schools should be ranked on the average uai of the school or the percentage of students who get in the top 10% of the state i.e 90 +.

As someone pointed out either in this thread or somewhere else, the honour roll can be misleading if students get a subject in band 6 but may have a <90 uai. I myself achieved over 90 without getting into band 6 for any of my subjects and so did a close friend of mine.

yeh so i feel honour roll isn't a true indication of a schools performance cept maybe for james ruse which seems to always dominate

liz

HSC
Where is the list of the top 120 schools??

B

Bambul

There is a Trinity Grammer and a Trinity Catholic, they are different schools.

profernity

HSC
desert

Originally posted by pri
Does this mean that the class of 2003 will have crappy scaling because the 2002 class didnt do so well?
These lists do not show anything about scaling really - other than the fact that if you can handle it, 4u maths is a good subject to take - remember, UAI is a rank, and our grade has gotten more ppl over 99 than many of the previous years. If the number of honour roll mentions apparently makes us worse-performing school this year, then explain how the number of 99+, let alone 95+ ppl in our grade has increased noticeably. I personally take offense when you say that our grade hasn't done well. It may not show in the papers, but believe me you won't be disadvantaged next year just because our honour roll conversion rate isn't so good as other schools.

chait

Originally posted by MinAi

unfortunately none of those schools featured in the top 120 (so i dont kno)
but if Trinity catholic is trinity grammar, then they came 71st
Trinitiy Catholic is very different to Trinity Grammar

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ah alrighty (about the Trinity grammar/catholic)
I didnt kno :p

yeah in the Daily Telegraph rankings, Trinity catholic wasnt in the top 120

and I agree with Sarah's point, I think the UAI's are a better indication...because merit list mentions in different subjects is kinda uncomparable...its exactly the same as the argument like: Is getting 95 in Physics worth the same as a 95 in Community & Family Studies?

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
Originally posted by Sarah
in regards to the way schools are ranked, I think schools should be ranked on the average uai of the school or the percentage of students who get in the top 10% of the state i.e 90 +.

As someone pointed out either in this thread or somewhere else, the honour roll can be misleading if students get a subject in band 6 but may have a <90 uai. I myself achieved over 90 without getting into band 6 for any of my subjects and so did a close friend of mine.

yeh so i feel honour roll isn't a true indication of a schools performance cept maybe for james ruse which seems to always dominate
yeah i kind of have to agree, i only got a uai of 64.6 and i was in the merit list for general maths. seems weird my friend didnt get anythihng over 90 but came out with 91.45

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
Minai would you be able to tell me how SCECGS redlands went?
it wasnt on the list :(

Is the list actually published on some site?
if there is can someone please tell me the url?
Thanks

pri

HSC
N/A
Re: desert

Originally posted by profernity

I personally take offense when you say that our grade hasn't done well. It may not show in the papers, but believe me you won't be disadvantaged next year just because our honour roll conversion rate isn't so good as other schools.
I didnt mean your grade did badly, what I thought was that because your grade was pretty smart we would be pushed back into the top ten, its just bs that we come 15th when technically we did better, plus schools with larger numbers of ppl and ppl who did subjects like gen maths would get higher places on the rankings just coz they had more ppl.

thats my whinging done for the day!

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
The Herald has a different list to the Telegraph. I think i am bored enough to type it all out

it is based on number of mentions in the honour roll (number of mentions band 6)

numbers in brackets = rank of the school in 2001

1. James Ruse Agricultural High School (1)
2. Baulkham Hilsl High School (2)
3. North Sydney Girls High School (3)
4. Sydney Girls High School (5)
5. Sydney Grammar High School (4)
6. Pymble Ladies College High School (6)
7. North Sydney Boys High School (11)
8. Sydney Boys High School (9)
9. St George Girls High School (7)
10. Barker College (16)
11. Caringbah High (15)
12. Hornsby Girls High (17)
13. Abbotsleigh (8)
14. Moraiah (12)
15. Cheltenham Girls High (25)
16. Fort Street (10)
17. Gosford High (low 30s)
18. Sydney Tech (19)
19. Hurlstone Agricultural High School (14)
20. Merewether High (13)
21. MLC Burwood (18)
22. Shore (24)
23. Loreto Kirribilli (37)
24. St Josephs College, Hunters Hill (low 40s)
25. Ravenswood (31)
26. Girraween High (29)
27. Santa Sabrina (38)
28. Oakhill College (low 40s)
28. Newington College (33)
30. Killara High (39)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I dont like the Herald's list, simply because it doesnt take into account the size of a school...like a selective school with 160-180 students is obviously gonna get more mentions on the merit list than a small private school of only 80 students

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I dont like the Herald's list, simply because it doesnt take into account the size of a school...like a selective school with 160-180 students is obviously gonna get more mentions on the merit list than a small private school of only 80 students
yeah ... that right ... but smh also had percentages for english and maths ... anyway imo the honour is a publicity stunt ...

pri

HSC
N/A
i agree as well, they should rank it by average UAI's or sumthin, but then again james ruse would prbly top that one too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)