Top Med Uni's(ur opinion counts-lol) (1 Viewer)

un 1

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, wats happening in your final year of school, the dreaded yr 12 and to all the other pros who have finished skool, i want some opinions into wat is the top med uni:

::Some people say its melbourne uni, then monash, then adelaide, then UNSW...

Frankly i don't have a clue, and since im looking to do med in 2008, i want some pppl's ideas

Any help wuld be greatly appreciated

Cheers:bomb:

ajx

HSC
N/A
my cousin jim got a raw umat score of 276 and an ENTER of 99.85 and he chose The University Of Melbourne to study med.

However another m8 of mine got a umat score of 284 and an ENTER of 99.45 and went to monash
Im looking to do it at either melb, monash, adelaide, UWA, UTAS,UNSW,
wherever i get in-if i get in that is

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
velox said:
the best uni for med is the one you get into.
lol good one, thats what everyone says, wateva uni they get into they make some excuse and give a random explanation into y its the best.

I fink they say UMELB, monash and UNSW are pretty good, though im not sure

ajx

HSC
N/A
which uni shuld u choose say if a random guy gets a UMAT score of 300 and a UAI of 100/ ENTER 99.95

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
depends on how much u value 1-2 yrs of ure life.. and up to $200k... and the distance from where u currently are..

judging by the list u have.. ure a victorian..

otherwise... velox is right..

but frankly if the aust govts (fed and states) doesnt increase intern spots.. ull be with a medical degree and jobless locally.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
inappropriate apostrophe in subject title.

i did ask a registrar this question once - his answer was that by PGY2 everyone sort of settles out to become about the same in skill/knowledge level and which uni you went to becomes irrelevant.

which is pretty much the same in any job, anywhere, ever.

so i agree with velox!

rtkl

HSC
hey everybody

juz wondering about the whole process of doing med at uni
How does it actually work and what do u have to do??

thanks in advance

rocafella32

HSC
Well basically you do the UMAT...i didnt realise how much it counts (although i did do well in it), but it counts a hell of a lot...if you get a below par umat score, kiss your dreams good bye unless your expecting a UAI of above 99.
If everything goes well in the umat, you basically apply to all undergrad med courses (remember adelaids early and newcastles shortly later). If your umat mark is good you should get interview calls from most of your preferred unis even before your uai is released.
What counts last but is very imp is your yr 12 mark. Even if you get a interview and do well in it, but do shit in the uai, you cant really get in.

So its basically UMAT>Intgerview applications> Interview call up> Interviews>UAI released> All added together you get an acceptance or a rejection.

Even though this is a med topic, dont forget to apply for Griffiths oral health in dent sci...its basically dentistry for 5yrs.
I got into it and its freeking awesome...didnt realise the many good things abt dentistry...good hours...GOOD PAY...and like someone said above, theres way better intern opportunities than med since theres only like 200 dent students graduating every year. ...and the cool thing is i do it on the Gold COast :DDD

Last edited:

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
rocafella32 said:
Well basically you do the UMAT...i didnt realise how much it counts (although i did do well in it), but it counts a hell of a lot...if you get a below par umat score, kiss your dreams good bye unless your expecting a UAI of above 99.
If everything goes well in the umat, you basically apply to all undergrad med courses (remember adelaids early and newcastles shortly later). If your umat mark is good you should get interview calls from most of your preferred unis even before your uai is released.
What counts last but is very imp is your yr 12 mark. Even if you get a interview and do well in it, but do shit in the uai, you cant really get in.

So its basically UMAT>Intgerview applications> Interview call up> Interviews>UAI released> All added together you get an acceptance or a rejection.

Even though this is a med topic, dont forget to apply for Griffiths oral health in dent sci...its basically dentistry for 5yrs.
I got into it and its freeking awesome...didnt realise the many good things abt dentistry...good hours...GOOD PAY...and like someone said above, theres way better intern opportunities than med since theres only like 200 dent students graduating every year. ...and the cool thing is i do it on the Gold COast :DDD

You lucky thing.....
Though you know very well wat ur talkin about. Are u from Vic or qld, thts awsm, i thught dntl science was like med science and dat.

ajx

HSC
N/A
If u had 2 stay in australia and had all the money and time, which uni wuld u study med at, if u got UMAT 300 and UAI 100

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
it seems so.. 7 i the world for biomedicine, but then again isnt its cuse length 6 yrs, whereas monash is 5 yrs

ajx

HSC
N/A
kido_1 said:
it seems so.. 7 i the world for biomedicine, but then again isnt its cuse length 6 yrs, whereas monash is 5 yrs
Id choose UMELB. I fink its the best, though u need a really good enter and umat score.

U can also do it at ofa unis if u get lower or stuff up(if u get in that is)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ajx said:
Id choose UMELB. I fink its the best, though u need a really good enter and umat score.

U can also do it at ofa unis if u get lower or stuff up(if u get in that is)
yep that is true.. u can get into UMelb.. with just a good ENTER and UMAT.. and a personality disorder too

also most schools have average entry marks of 98-99+ so if u stuffed up.. id hope its small..

un 1

HSC
N/A
yeh, UMELB"S enter stream is like 99.90 or 99.95 and umat score of 190 at least.

rtkl

HSC
Thanks a lot for the info juz one more question if i was considering medicine in 2008 then i should be applying to do the UmAT this year [2007] rite??

un 1

HSC
N/A
apply very soon m8 and make sure u get a lot of prctse uMAT is vvvv important, dont underestimate it.

Where wuld u do med if u culd do it antwhere in Australia?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)