Top Notes (1 Viewer)

yummy-cookies

HSC
I was thinking of buying the Top Notes Frankenstein/Blade Runner study guide. Does anyone know if it's good?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think they're decent. But they shouldn't be taken as gospel truth, though.

itadakimus

procrastinator
HSC
I think it's better to do some of your own study and analysis of the text so you've got an opinion formed before you read a study guide. You can then use the study guide to create a better more informed position, to think about things from a different perspective, etc. Looking at a study guide first of might not be a good idea since it will probably influence your final opinion too much and you don't want to sound the same as everyone else in your exam responses.

adamcg

HSC
I was thinking of buying the Top Notes Frankenstein/Blade Runner study guide. Does anyone know if it's good?

Bah... i pretty much got conned into buying this... (not realy, it was recomended) Its big on the story aspect, you know, explaining motives and plot devices... , i think if you read the actual books you get 90% of whats offered in the top notes guide straight away.

I think its aimed at the mediocre english student, anyone with any english skill can get the next 10% in a lesson of brainstorming i recon. but then again it does kinda save time by identifiing useful content to persue from crap.

I will say that its a little weak on the comparison side also

In all though, probs worth a buy but only as a starting point, dont expect to get all you need for a 20/20 comparitive annalysis:p

does this post sound contradictory to you?

Last edited:

Kaatie

HSC
yeah if you buy it make sure its only as a back up to other sources, its not very good

jennieTalia

HSC
TopNotes are great to just start to get your head around a topic.
They are often made in quite a rush (grammatical errors etc) but they are made with the HSC topic specifically in mind and explain concepts easily, hence why they are rated quite highly.
I used TopNotes for my extension course as supplementary material (you know, those days where you just sit there and go "What the FUCK is this topic even about :S")
So, by all means, buy it. But feel 100 percent free to disagree with it. And DEFINATELY back it up with extra reading, research and your own opinion. :)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
well i dont recommend it, ive got top notes for romulus, my father and its quite basic, and doesnt go into much depth, however i suppose its good just to get a grasp on the main ideas being represented in the texts, seriously i can even write better chapter and character analysis than them, my teacher even agreed with me :)

-xDan

HSC
Ive got some photocopied bits from my tutor, their ok. rather generic but its helpful if your about to start the topic and want to have an idea of whats going on.

Moenique

HSC
The Advanced version of Top Notes is much much better. I came across it in my local library, and I was surprised by how good it was.

But yes, only use it as a basic study guide because it can be extremely vague when discussing techniques.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
My English teacher photocopied the whole book for us. I think its worth it at least its better than nothing.

yummy-cookies

HSC
My English teacher photocopied the whole book for us. I think its worth it at least its better than nothing.
:eek: its 187 pages!!!

yeah, i got it in the end. I thought the analysis on the individual texts were decent, but it was a little lacking on Texts in Time issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)