Top Schools List. (1 Viewer)

Redkoala

HSC
Pianpupodoel said:
Perhaps we should clear up this misinformation being reported all over this thread. Clearly, from theworldisround's quote from the herald, does the herald not also work with percentages?
Yep. Let's do it. Once and for all. They both work on percentages. It would be ridiculous not to. They just use slightly different methods, ones which make it impossible to say which is better. For now I suppose, everyone shall just have to refer to the one in which they were ranked higher. In that case, I shall tell everyone that Baulko came second! yay!

My question is, when are they going to combine forces, create a mega-paper, and make it a hell of a lot easier on us kids?

theworldisround

HSC
Yep of course both papers used percentages. but herald divided no. of DA over no. of students in the school (i think) to get percentage, while telegraph divided no. of DA over the number of attempts.

eg. maths ext1 and maths ext 2 will be considered two attempts, while being done by only one student.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
indeed. just combine for the HSC special edition. :)

haha. i like SMH. <3

good to know high came third. (and even in the other paper, only grammar beat us so like yeah)

ANOTHER YEAR with chants at gps games. "UAI UAI UAI UAI UAI" :)

suckerrrrs. (haha. before losing the damn games. )

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, combining them into a super HSC thing wuold be fantastic. I mean, unless you go to Ruse, you are at the mercy of the differences in the paper. I stand by the SMH, only because it always makes us look good--6th instead of 16th. But I do agree that the Daily Telegraph is more accurate.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
theworldisround said:
Lol, the SMH just admitted that they DIDNT take into account school size in their table of top 50 schools. It was actually just the total no. of credits.

Check the correction on the following page.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/full-marks-for-trying-but-100-doesnt-guarantee-place-at-uni/2006/12/20/1166290613847.html

So daily telegraph is the winner !!
I don't know why you care, but yes from that it's pretty clear the daily telegraph list is winrar. (good on you hornsby, sydney girls and baulko :))

Oi who's the 4th 100 uai at ruse there's only 3 med wannabes in that photo

Doesn't matter, shall find out later today at the traditional wtf-lol-bahahhahahhahaha-ruse-bbq :eek:

steelite

HSC
bobness said:
I don't know why you care, but yes from that it's pretty clear the daily telegraph list is winrar. (good on you hornsby, sydney girls and baulko :))

Oi who's the 4th 100 uai at ruse there's only 3 med wannabes in that photo

Doesn't matter, shall find out later today at the traditional wtf-lol-bahahhahahhahaha-ruse-bbq :eek:
People care cause it means NSB didnt get beaten by Sydney Boys and Barker so badly, heaps of people were shocked Barker and Sydney Boys and Grammar beat us, considering we beat them for the past couple of years.....but yeah, NSB still comes 9th anyway.

I would of thought Ruse would of got more...every year they have got less 100's....but anyway, NSB got 2 100's

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Yay for Hornsby coming second! :) We beat Baulko again.

philzy

HSC
hey, wat did picnic point high school come. it wuld be appreciated if any one could tell thanks.

chungo

HSC
To be fair, it really is unfair to High students to be discriminated on the size of our grade (210) which no one asked to be upped from 180. It is my firm opinion that many of the new students have if not done out collective results a disservice, have at least not contributed to improving them. Jagger's blindness to the useless "bigger is better" idea is quite an area of frustration to many.

Also if it weren't because we were cheated somehow of more than half of our expectant band 6's (>30) in physics, I am sure we would have been ranked much higher (in the Telegraph...)
And our English results are getting much better =]

Btw, did SMH publish a revised list of schools?

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
steelite said:
People care cause it means NSB didnt get beaten by Sydney Boys and Barker so badly, heaps of people were shocked Barker and Sydney Boys and Grammar beat us, considering we beat them for the past couple of years.....but yeah, NSB still comes 9th anyway.

I would of thought Ruse would of got more...every year they have got less 100's....but anyway, NSB got 2 100's
He was an 05er.

Personally i would have lost all my school pride most likely by the time i hit uni :confused: Or tafe/work whatever his situation is :)

There are less 100 uais this year in the state (i'm pretty certain) because the scaling didn't work as favourably this year. Also the english papers were marked harder than previous years and everyone must count that towards their uai.

Also don't correct me on something as insignificant as the above, the point of this thread is about schools and the aforementioned was my aside :)

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
bobness said:
There are less 100 uais this year in the state (i'm pretty certain) because the scaling didn't work as favourably this year. Also the english papers were marked hrader than previous years and everyone must count that towards their units.
There were 21 people who got 100.00 this year, this was up from 18 last year. These 21 people consisted of 11 males and 10 females. Remember that a UAI is a rank. It doesn't matter how crap the scaling was, the top few selected students still end up with 100.00 every year. Perhaps this year the aggregates of those bunched up top 21 people were much closer to each other compared to last year. So much for your certainty lol.........;)

Last edited:

chungo

HSC
There were 21 100's as compared to last year's 18...
And UAis a rank so scaling should not affect it's number.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I don't think the average UAI would have dropped. It usually remains the same because it is a RANK.
This may be of interest to you bobness: http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/prelimreport-2006.pdf

Particularly this comment:
"The HSC marks in some courses were higher in 2006 than in previous years so that some students may have found their UAIs lower than expected. Further details will be provided in the full report."

milton

HSC
the UAI is a percentage rank, so by definition the average UAI always stays the same

xclo

HSC
so anyone know the median UAI for ruse this year? like a relatively accurate estimate instead of the guess "slightly below 99"?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
There were 21 people who got 100.00 this year, this was up from 18 last year. These 21 people consisted of 11 males and 10 females. Remember that a UAI is a rank. It doesn't matter how crap the scaling was, the top few selected students still end up with 100.00 every year. Perhaps this year the aggregates of those bunched up top 21 people were much closer to each other compared to last year. So much for your certainty lol.........;)
Yeah still pretty certain.

Read 0.69% :)

You're reading too much into this, correct me and move on. Kthnxbye

DayOT

HSC
Ruse median UAI was 99.2, which is down from last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)