Top Schools of 2006 - Daily Telegraph (1 Viewer)

forevaunited

HSC
At first i thought they were the best because they have the highest mark for the the selective schools test but then i haven't really heard this information anywhere- it was just that everyone says "ohh its really hard to get into james ruse".

However this is probably because they are recognised as the best and therefore the demand for placings there is extremely high meaning they truly do get the creme de la creme.

No offence to that Quinlan guy but i dont think a principle can really produce good results from students (they dont really get involved), the point is they start with the best and they finish with the best

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
brogan77 said:
If they could release the statistics that indicate the improvement of students from Yr 10 to Yr 12, I feel this would be a much more accurate indicator (than mere HSC performance) of what the best school is and where parents should send their children, if they wish to give them the best opportunity to fulfill their potential.
They do release them. It's just in the form of a percentage of students who got band 6 for each subject. It's somewhere on their official website...so have a look there....

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
That's really weird, in the paper my school was coming 173rd but here 172nd. :/

annabananna88

HSC
just wondering where u can find a list of the schools not in the top 200

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Thursday's Daily Telegraph (I think) had tables ranking schools in every region with the same formula as they used for the top 200 (except regional instead of across the state).

I_F

Monstar

HSC
This is a lie. Theres no way macquarie fields high school beat my school.

jessdoit

HSC
I don't think Ruse is unbeatable. One day they'll go down...
Man... I'm so amazed at this year's top 10... Just how everything's swapped. Makes me all fidgety lol. I reckon Robert Smith moving from NSGHS to Ascham may have taken its toll judging from the improvement.

cupcake08

HSC
Monstar said:
This is a lie. Theres no way macquarie fields high school beat my school.
it is a selective school if thats any consolation :p

AlvinCY

HSC
Girraween!! 37TH! Hey! Not bad for a small selective school

the leader

HSC
:rofl: 159th!!

hehe something like only 9% of our kids get a distinguished achievers thingo, so i'm thinking 159th isnt too bad considering.....

then again a girl at my school got 1st in advanced english - so i guess that goes to show how every school has its "diamond in the rough" that can jack up the school's ranking

HSC
44th! Awesome =)

Trebla said:
I read somewhere that at Ruse they run continual statistical information on their students and measure them up to a statewide standard which allows them predict long beforehand what HSC marks/UAI the students will get and where they are at compared to the state hence they know how much they have to improve by come HSC time. Quite an effective mechanism in my opinion, Quinlan must be a statistics freak...lol
Hahaha that's pretty handy.

Hmm question to selective school people. I've heard that schools put heaps of pressure on students, if someone was coming last in a certain subject by a long way, the school would put intense pressure on the student to drop that subject just so the top students don't get dragged down an awful lot. I went (after 6 years, how good is it to say that?) to a selective school and the way I saw it, we were given the opportunity to do well, like if those who wanted to do really well were going to do well because they were talented enough and the resources were all there to be used and all that, and there wasn't intense pressure or anything if students did not want to try particularly hard or was failing?

milton

HSC
Trebla said:
I read somewhere that at Ruse they run continual statistical information on their students and measure them up to a statewide standard which allows them predict long beforehand what HSC marks/UAI the students will get and where they are at compared to the state hence they know how much they have to improve by come HSC time. Quite an effective mechanism in my opinion, Quinlan must be a statistics freak...lol
the deputy principal mr. wearne (ex-maths head teacher) uses the stats released by UAC to give predictions of UAI. its kinda like SAM really. they normally underestimate you and give you lower than expected UAIs to encourage you to work harder

watatank said:
Hmm question to selective school people. I've heard that schools put heaps of pressure on students, if someone was coming last in a certain subject by a long way, the school would put intense pressure on the student to drop that subject just so the top students don't get dragged down an awful lot. I went (after 6 years, how good is it to say that?) to a selective school and the way I saw it, we were given the opportunity to do well, like if those who wanted to do really well were going to do well because they were talented enough and the resources were all there to be used and all that, and there wasn't intense pressure or anything if students did not want to try particularly hard or was failing?
yes, thats true, if you do really bad in a subject your parents get phone calls from the teachers :(
the subjects offered are "coincidentally" generally very high scaling subjects eg only advanced english, no standard, economics instead of business studies

even the amount of people allowed to do 4u maths is restricted so as not to "drag" the marks down
and remedial classes are offered for ppl who aren't expected to get band 6

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
^ None of that stuff happens at Hornsby Girls (nor most of the selectives I know, perhaps barring Ruse). Everyone's encouraged to do what they enjoy/are good at. there's a bit of a strong 'encouragement' to do EE1 (and Standard English isn't even offered as an option at the school), but otherwise there's no pressure to take up or drop any units. If you do bad, the teacher will just ask you to have a chat with them, and they'll go through papers etc. Parents are only called up if you miss 3 days of school in a row with no explaination :p

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
watatank said:
For students coming dead last in a subject they are not encouraged to drop it because they can't be bothered with the administration procedures.
My school does not give many opportunities to do as well as one could do, particularly for English and a bit for Maths. For English, the head teacher goes like "oh English Advanced is like the hardest course in the world and you'd have to be a super abstract thinker to do it. Since most of you are mental retards, most of you will be doing English Standard and we're not going to let most of you do English Advanced otherwise you'll get a HSC mark below 50..." Obviously those aren't the actual words but the intended effect is the same. In my opinion that is an attempt to cover up the crappy teaching quality of the English faculty who can't teach the English Advanced course properly and don't understand half the course themselves and is a lame excuse for being lazy to "dumb down" the grade.
The Maths faculty aren't as ruthless but restricting Extension 2 to only 2 classes limits the opportunities of those who really like maths to have a go at what it is like. Most people in our school love maths and if every year only 2 classes are allowed, then a blind eye would be turned on any potentially exceptional grade in Maths.

sladehk

le random
HSC
69. St Joseph's College Hunters Hill

^ yeaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)