• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Topics Needed For Vectors Ex1 (1 Viewer)

vigstar

HSC
Hi there, Im a student who just started year 12 in NSW. I was wondering what topics are needed as a prerequisite or to really understand vectors 3u. I know you need proofs for shapes but could someone go into detail what I need, like adv trig y11 or ext 1 trig, congruency e.t.c. From what I've seen, vectors has a lot of broad questions so if someone fanned it out for me it would be greatly appreciated!!!

NoobTransforming

HSC
Circular geometry is nice to know so u dont get too freaked out at vector proofs involving circles.
The questions they will ask 99% of the time gonna be euclidean geometry anyways, so look at that if you want.
Tbh vectors is such an abstract topic where in the ext1 course we really just learn the basics of vectors, so you just need to build your intuition.
Don't get too stuck up on vectors however. Polynomials, combinatorics and applications of calculus usually end up in the e4 style questions.

If you want you can go to the unswcpmsoc website and under resources, go on CM101 and go to University CM and you can download the putnam and beyond textbook, theres quite a bit of questions and sols on topics we do in ext1/2, that can broaden what you know in maths generally.

vigstar

HSC
Also. what level of trig should I revise? Just like sine, cosine rule or would some sort of identities be needed. Sorry for bothering you, but I'm just a little flustered.

NoobTransforming

HSC
In my experience year 11 adv trig is what u need. So right angled trig, sine and cosine rule, and a solid understanding of the unit circle. Identities and inverse trig would show up in harder projectile motion questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)