Torque VS Moment of Force-- Mechanics (1 Viewer)

inhinyero

HSC
Hello mates! Just an hour ago we've been discussing in my Mechanics subject about the moment of force. It said that the moment of force is actually the product of the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance of the force to the referred point. But, we were taught before in our Physics class that Torque as well is the force applied or acting on a body multiplied to the perpendicular distance.

Question is, is there a major difference between Torque and Moment of force? If there is, could you please elaborate on this.

Thanks.!!

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
lol no wonder you are red man. Was gunna help but not anymore.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Hello mates! Just an hour ago we've been discussing in my Mechanics subject about the moment of force. It said that the moment of force is actually the product of the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance of the force to the referred point. But, we were taught before in our Physics class that Torque as well is the force applied or acting on a body multiplied to the perpendicular distance.

Question is, is there a major difference between Torque and Moment of force? If there is, could you please elaborate on this.

Thanks.!!
Moment IS force multiplied with perpendicular distance.

Torque, however, is a bit different, and is used in dynamics, not statics.

I did MMAN1300 last semester and in our lab prac. we were given that τ = Iα, torque = moment of inertia multiplied with angular acceleration, and if u look at torque on wikipedia, u see some more formulae, using vectors.

Torque can be found out in a few different ways, and is part of the dynamics half of any mechanics course (at least for mman1300 it was, most likely for cven1300 [if u even cover torque]), and moment of a force is ALWAYS force multiplied with perpendicular distance.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Moment IS force multiplied with perpendicular distance.

Torque, however, is a bit different, and is used in dynamics, not statics.

I did MMAN1300 last semester and in our lab prac. we were given that τ = Iα, torque = moment of inertia multiplied with angular acceleration, and if u look at torque on wikipedia, u see some more formulae, using vectors.

Torque can be found out in a few different ways, and is part of the dynamics half of any mechanics course (at least for mman1300 it was, most likely for cven1300 [if u even cover torque]), and moment of a force is ALWAYS force multiplied with perpendicular distance.
and actually moment is more specifically a cross product with magnitude and direction:

M = r X F

and without using vector it is:

M = rFsinθ

so moment is max when sin 90 = 1 i.e M = rF if fully perpendicular.
and M = 0 if distance arm and force application are parallel.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
sorry i couldn't make it uncle - something came up and it was very important.

how about next week?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)