toshiba: the ipod killer! (1 Viewer)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
nah get it from ebay.com

dont go to ebay.com.au
get it from the US, its cheaper by a long shot.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah man
trust me, it works out to be cheaper if you buy from overseas
postage with insaurance (if under 500g) for 10 bness day delivery is $35AU

pretty cheap man.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
erhm...ill wait for the next batch of ipod killers to come along, but that iriver is hot on list

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
XClef, similar to ipod.. only you can swap and change hdds. It runs on laptop hdds so if u want a 40gb hdd today thats what you put in. If you want ur 80gb 2morrow etc

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
As long as it doesnt have the same battery manufactuerer as the ipod...

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Being stingy, I think I am going to take up apple.com.au's current package deal of an ibook 12" (with upgradables) & a 20gig ipod for $2368

andiman

40gb ipod is great

Originally posted by AsyLum
Can someone provide links to all these models, cos im about to purchase the 40gb iPOD
i bought the 40gb ipod, and it kicks the ass of the opposition. of all the people i know with iPod wannabe imitations, over half have issues with 'broken bits' or crappy support.

the ipod just works. end of story. the battery life is as advertised between 6-8hrs+

if you want ogg vorbis, just wait a little while, cos when an integer version of the codec comes out, the iPod will be running it. (iPod, like most MP3 players doesn't have an FPU)

check this out: http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/

the point i'd like to make above all else is this: apple builds its hardware well. the ipod is light as, but solidly built. its strong, and won't deform or break unless you give it a real beating. its the same with the mac ibook/powerbooks too. they aren't built out of cheap flimsy plastic which breaks, and is damaged easily. i suggest anyone considering purchasing an ipod/ibook/powerbook check them out and see what i mean.

as for compatibility, thats so not an issue. you can do everything on a mac that you can do on windows or linux. (you can recompile most open source apps to run under the mac os.) and all the decent games are ported within 3-6months of release (but then, who really does gaming on a laptop anyway?)

Last edited:

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by andiman
i bought the 40gb ipod, and it kicks the ass of the opposition. of all the people i know with iPod wannabe imitations, over half have issues with 'broken bits' or crappy support.

the ipod just works. end of story. the battery life is as advertised between 6-8hrs+

the point i'd like to make above all else is this: apple builds its hardware well. the ipod is light as, but solidly built. its strong, and won't deform or break unless you give it a real beating. its the same with the mac ibook/powerbooks too. they aren't built out of cheap flimsy plastic which breaks, and is damaged easily. i suggest anyone considering purchasing an ipod/ibook/powerbook check them out and see what i mean.

HAHAHAHA dude thats the funniest thing Ive heard in a while. In case you believed this idiot the original ipod range had the fattest battery problems and only lasted 18 months

Apple was sued by lots of people because of this poor hardware fault. Let me reiterate, Apple are expensive and their OS's and hardware suck ass...

Here is the link on the Apple Ipod faults

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/02/10.6.shtml

andiman

Originally posted by Beaky
HAHAHAHA dude thats the funniest thing Ive heard in a while. In case you believed this idiot the original ipod range had the fattest battery problems and only lasted 18 months
i'd be careful who you go around calling an idiot.
the original ipod did not have as you so succintly expressed 'the fattest battery problems'.
the problem was as with most batteries, if you just leave them on the charger and don't discharge them fully on a regular basis before recharging, their performance is reduced. we've all seen the neistat or whatever their name is brothers video, and its ridiculous.

also, if you had _done_ your homework, you would know that the current iPod's are third generation, and have a new battery in them. and considering i've had my iPod for over a year now and am still consistently getting 6-8hrs plus each day (and i use it at least 4-5 days a week cos i commute for 5hrs to/from uni) i can say from EXPERIENCE of my own, and my friends (i have 12 friends with ipods, ranging from 5gb to 40gb ages 1month to 2years) that what you have said has no substance of any legitimate kind to back it up.

Apple was sued by lots of people because of this poor hardware fault. Let me reiterate, Apple are expensive and their OS's and hardware suck ass...

Here is the link on the Apple Ipod faults

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/02/10.6.shtml
there was a class action by less than 100 consumers in the states. then again, keep in mind that the iPod has sold 2million plus units and is the most popular and best value for money portable music player/external HD on the global market.

apple's are not expensive. if you compare the prices of ibooks/powerbooks to the PC laptop equivalents, and the power mac towers to their like minded PC brothers you'll see what i mean. the support and student discounts are amazing. my 1ghz G4 powerbook beats the living daylight out of a Pentium-M 1.6ghz, and it uses half the power!.

the third most powerful supercomputer in the world uses 2200 plus Apple G5 processors. its called big mac and the reason they built it using mac's was because of three reasons: 1) mac's are cheaper than the 32bit xeons and 64bit opterons and they have superior performance to both the xeons and opterons. 2) they're cooler, and use less energy/create less heat 3) the hardware is of such a high standard that you have a much lower rate of hardware failure which is important in any decent system. (and the G5 is a 64bit system too btw, the 90nm G5 2ghz uses 24.5W of power... thats a less than a 1/3 of the expected power of prescott, and AMD's opterons.)

the Mac OS is very powerful. based on FreeBSD 5, it incorporates all the strengths of the Unix world and Linux world. you can for instance recompile most linux OSS to run on your mac. the only thing i can't do on my mac natively is to program in Visual Studio .NET 2003... for that i use Virtual PC to emulate WinXP. photoshop, office, media player, anything and everything you want to do on PC is ALSO available on Mac.

so yeah,
before you start declaring how you hate mac's, it would be advisable for you to first substantiate your claims. this forum is here to perhaps help people make an informed decision on facts, not biased uninformed opinions that are based on second hand information from the google cache.

and just so you all know:
i have a mac powerbook and power mac tower, an AMD tower running windows xp pro SP2(beta tester for MS), and a P3 server running debian linux.

i use everything. i'm microsoft student ambassador at uni, i teach IT subjects and i program on every system listed above.

the last thing in my rant against the ignorance of the person above is this:

find out what you need to do what you want. look at the prices, and the specs. then talk to people who use the products in question, who have the real world experience with them, and THEN decide what suits you best. don't listen to some ignorant and uninformed person spouting off unsubstantiated crap of which they really know nothing about and have no experience with.

cheers all,
i'm out.

-Andi.

Winston

HSC
OOOO you .NET programmer w00t you rock dude :D i love .NET it's truly nice.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
lol

so they resolved the battery probs with 3rd gen ?

if so im going out tomorrow and buying my 40gb ^^

Winston

HSC
lol

so they resolved the battery probs with 3rd gen ?

if so im going out tomorrow and buying my 40gb ^^
What 'andiman' was really trying to get through was, the battery issue was caused by such exaggerated publicity, when in fact only a handful of about 2% of iPod owners experienced such problems, so it must of been a batch problem, so in theory, it wasn't the iPod's battery design, and as aforementioned it's the way you take care of the battery etc... But the only silly thing i dislike about it is that i heard the cost of replacement of the battery itself was equivalent to a purchase of a new one, i'm not sure if that's a true statement or a fallacy. But i, myself quite like Macs, although not a owner of one, their products really are very nice and sleek.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i thought they were offering replacement batteries for something like $50 USD which would be roughly 60-70 ?

that isnt buying a whole new 800 dollar iPOD :)

Winston

HSC
i thought they were offering replacement batteries for something like $50 USD which would be roughly 60-70 ?

that isnt buying a whole new 800 dollar iPOD :)
That replacement offer was introduced after a little ranting by customers...

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by andiman
i'd be careful who you go around calling an idiot.
the original ipod did not have as you so succintly expressed 'the fattest battery problems'.
the problem was as with most batteries, if you just leave them on the charger and don't discharge them fully on a regular basis before recharging, their performance is reduced. we've all seen the neistat or whatever their name is brothers video, and its ridiculous.

also, if you had _done_ your homework, you would know that the current iPod's are third generation, and have a new battery in them. and considering i've had my iPod for over a year now and am still consistently getting 6-8hrs plus each day (and i use it at least 4-5 days a week cos i commute for 5hrs to/from uni) i can say from EXPERIENCE of my own, and my friends (i have 12 friends with ipods, ranging from 5gb to 40gb ages 1month to 2years) that what you have said has no substance of any legitimate kind to back it up.

there was a class action by less than 100 consumers in the states. then again, keep in mind that the iPod has sold 2million plus units and is the most popular and best value for money portable music player/external HD on the global market.

apple's are not expensive. if you compare the prices of ibooks/powerbooks to the PC laptop equivalents, and the power mac towers to their like minded PC brothers you'll see what i mean. the support and student discounts are amazing. my 1ghz G4 powerbook beats the living daylight out of a Pentium-M 1.6ghz, and it uses half the power!.

the third most powerful supercomputer in the world uses 2200 plus Apple G5 processors. its called big mac and the reason they built it using mac's was because of three reasons: 1) mac's are cheaper than the 32bit xeons and 64bit opterons and they have superior performance to both the xeons and opterons. 2) they're cooler, and use less energy/create less heat 3) the hardware is of such a high standard that you have a much lower rate of hardware failure which is important in any decent system. (and the G5 is a 64bit system too btw, the 90nm G5 2ghz uses 24.5W of power... thats a less than a 1/3 of the expected power of prescott, and AMD's opterons.)

the Mac OS is very powerful. based on FreeBSD 5, it incorporates all the strengths of the Unix world and Linux world. you can for instance recompile most linux OSS to run on your mac. the only thing i can't do on my mac natively is to program in Visual Studio .NET 2003... for that i use Virtual PC to emulate WinXP. photoshop, office, media player, anything and everything you want to do on PC is ALSO available on Mac.

so yeah,
before you start declaring how you hate mac's, it would be advisable for you to first substantiate your claims. this forum is here to perhaps help people make an informed decision on facts, not biased uninformed opinions that are based on second hand information from the google cache.

and just so you all know:
i have a mac powerbook and power mac tower, an AMD tower running windows xp pro SP2(beta tester for MS), and a P3 server running debian linux.

i use everything. i'm microsoft student ambassador at uni, i teach IT subjects and i program on every system listed above.

the last thing in my rant against the ignorance of the person above is this:

find out what you need to do what you want. look at the prices, and the specs. then talk to people who use the products in question, who have the real world experience with them, and THEN decide what suits you best. don't listen to some ignorant and uninformed person spouting off unsubstantiated crap of which they really know nothing about and have no experience with.

cheers all,
i'm out.

-Andi.
Im not saying Ipods are crap, Im buying an Ipod mini when they come out... Just the way u thought Ipods were the best and were error free... I just wanted to make a statement that Ipods wernt free of defects...

I take back the harsh call Andy, sorry :)...

As for macs being more expensive, this is only in the "desktop" department. Notebooks are quite cheap :)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by tooheyz
MuahUAHuah
the new toshiba 20gb hdd mp3 player is released in japan and usa... and will be later released in australia at the end of the year!

MauHUAhauh, its a bit bigger and more 'square' than the ipod, but its more slick :D and thinner and takes up less cm3

should be good.

i was gonna get the iriver 10gig, but *cough*, just gonna wait for the toshiba :D
Your thread 'Ipod Killer' has become real.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?threadid=27719

Shocking.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
ipod is not as good as the iriver ihp-120
more features like fm radio, voice recording and longer battery life, for the same price as the 20gb ipod...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)