TOTAPS Q's (1 Viewer)

valentino

Hi does any one know if TOTAPS is used for both soft tissue injures and HArd tissue injuries or just Hard tisue injuries?? thank u

kylie_robbo

Just hard tissue... RICER is used for soft tissue. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, Referal [or can be RICED, with Doctor instead of Referal])

barbie_doll

HSC
i know that RICER and RICED are practically the same thing, but if all the textbooks say to use RICER and we all know RICED as well, which one do we use?

or do we just apply which ever to the appropriate question...?

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
hehe it doesnt matter.... referal means go to a doctor. so i dont think there is any difference.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
it doesnt matter, as withoutwings said ricer=riced

rachella

Totaps

I have to disagree with the first reply...TOTAPS is used for both soft and hard tissue injuries. It is the assessment of injuries and you do it before treatment of both soft and hard tissue injuries. RICER is used for treatment of soft tissue injuries, and for hard tissue injuries, our teacher said we should know the treatment for them as immobilisation and medical treatment, but also DRABC- danger, response, airway, breathing, circulation

kylie_robbo

What the heck are you going on about??

TOTAPS

T- Talk

O- Observe

T- Touch

A- Active movement

P- Passive movement

S- Skills test.

It is the process that an athlete is meant to go through before returning to competition after a hard tissue injury.

TheKing

i agreee with kylier....
and also, DRABC is really only necessary for unconscious people well the ABC part anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

ViolentJ

Uncle Banger
HSC
TOTAPS is used when an athlete is injured regardless of if it is soft or hard tissue. The aims of totaps are to observe the extent of the injury and to determine if the player is fit to return to competition or if further medical treatment is required. From here we can go on to using RICER and various other methods of injury management.

Laus86

valentino said:
Hi does any one know if TOTAPS is used for both soft tissue injures and HArd tissue injuries or just Hard tisue injuries?? thank u

TOTAPS is like what you do before any injury management procedure. It's assessing the injury itself so then u can decide what procedure to take from then on. It's mainly used if you're not sure how bad an injury is-hence the skills test at the end to see if the athlete's ok to return to play.

twism012

HSC
I've gotta agree that TOTAPS is for both hard and soft tissue... it's the RTP.. Return To Play acronym, while RICER/D is for injury management.. which is also useful for both hard and soft...

Does anyone actuallly know exactly what the difference is between soft and hard tissue injuries??

blacmajic

HSC
N/A
Yeah, TOTAPS is for both soft and hard. Soft isnt just briusing and abraisons, its also sprained ankles and the like, for which you would use TOTAPS to asses the injury and whether thay can go back on court.

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
RICER/RICED

to clear things up, R is preffered as a doctor is not always neccessary, it is now possinble to seek assisance from a physio rather then a doctor.. thats why it changed

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Without Wings again.

damn... hehe your like the only person i have repped.

Carlz135

HSC
Yes TOTAPS is to be used as the initial assessment of an injury, to determine the likliehood of it being either soft or hard tissue, its suposed to be before you know either way.
Thats my understadning anyway, and it appears that is the right one, from others points...

aurora02

HSC
i am currently learning about this.
TOTAPS is used in the assessment of any injury, whether soft or hard tissue. whereas DRABCD and RICER/D is used for the management

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)