Toughest man in league? (1 Viewer)

davo_

good kid
HSC
I was nearly going to mention Withers in my original post... pound for pound he could pull of the biggest hits I think.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Lincoln Withers???

you gotta be kidding me, he took a dive when he was playing the Sharks when Nutley and Kimmorley tackled him and it wasnt even high. Tough players dont do that, so he automatically should be nominated for the un-toughest player

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
yeah, Martin Lang used to always get smashed but he always got right back up

Cityboy

HSC
What about Gordon Tallis and Ray Price- who was knocked out twice in the same match and still came back on

davo_

good kid
HSC
Suney_J said:
Lincoln Withers???

you gotta be kidding me, he took a dive when he was playing the Sharks when Nutley and Kimmorley tackled him and it wasnt even high. Tough players dont do that, so he automatically should be nominated for the un-toughest player
I remember that... it wasn't a dive... Just because Withers didn't get up straight away doesn't mean it was a dive. And you can get hit hard without it being a high tackle (despite the fact it was called a high-tackle- so ofcourse Nutley's going to chuck a shit about it.) If you've played any half physical sport you know that you can get hurt without it being something that will disable you for the rest of the match (or maybe you've had an extremely lucky run with injuries, or have just never played sport before)

davo_

good kid
HSC
After watching the footy show last night I was also reminded of Mark Hughes playing 60minutes with a broken leg -obviously not a major break- but none the less that's fucking tough and would take a fair bit of heart.

0Jade0

HSC
Does anyone remember the player (last season i think) who played with a broken hand?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Suney_J said:
John Sattler, playing a Grand final with a smashed jaw is really tough
See, that's toughness. Didn't see Johns doing that.
Oh wait, Knights in Grand Final? hahahaha

davo_

good kid
HSC
bazookajoe said:
See, that's toughness. Didn't see Johns doing that.
Oh wait, Knights in Grand Final? hahahaha
hahaha indeed.. maybe you're a little young, but Andrew Johns actually has played in and WON two grand finals (yes with the Knights). In fact I think medical staff suggested he did not play in the 1997 grand final due to some sort of rib injury (someone correct me if i'm wrong, i'm pretty sure the injury was to do with ribs/lungs or something like that). Maybe you can even remember the play in this game where Johns switched to the short side to pick up Darren Albert who scored to give the Knights the premiership in the dying moments...

Edit: I looked it up and Johns played the 97 grand final with a broken rib...

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
davo_ said:
hahaha indeed.. maybe you're a little young, but Andrew Johns actually has played in and WON two grand finals (yes with the Knights). In fact I think medical staff suggested he did not play in the 1997 grand final due to some sort of rib injury (someone correct me if i'm wrong, i'm pretty sure the injury was to do with ribs/lungs or something like that). Maybe you can even remember the play in this game where Johns switched to the short side to pick up Darren Albert who scored to give the Knights the premiership in the dying moments...

Edit: I looked it up and Johns played the 97 grand final with a broken rib...
If sarcasm was a semi-trailer you still wouldn't see it coming.

davo_

good kid
HSC
bazookajoe said:
If sarcasm was a semi-trailer you still wouldn't see it coming.
I'd believe you were being sarcastic if you didn't already bag Johns out earlier in this thread. See what I think is, you were trying to be a bit of a smart arse, and you were proved utterly wrong, so now you're pulling some bullshit sarcasm call... And it was pretty obvious that post wasn't being sarcastic. Nice try though...

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
davo_ said:
I'd believe you were being sarcastic if you didn't already bag Johns out earlier in this thread. See what I think is, you were trying to be a bit of a smart arse, and you were proved utterly wrong, so now you're pulling some bullshit sarcasm call... And it was pretty obvious that post wasn't being sarcastic. Nice try though...
Wow, I didn't realise you were a sarcasm detector and was able to disect what people think.

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Wow, I didn't realise you were a sarcasm detector and was able to disect what people think.
maybe next time you'll think... or explode... that would be so damn cool.

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
Yeah i'm pretty sure joey played with broken ribs and there may have been something wrong with his kidneys in 97. He even tried to come off but Mal Reilly politely told him to get the fuck back on the field and win us the game. And hazaa he did.

I reckon for toughness it's hard to go past webke. He's got strength, endurance, power and he'd play with no head if he was required to. Joey and craig gower have their share of injuries and play through. Joey's been knocked out and played on a thousand times and gower always seems to play with some part of his body in a position he shouldn't be in.

Whoever said fitzy is tough is a clown. The guy chalks up 60 tackles a game because he's always the third man and does no work. He rarely does 1st tackle hard yards and picks up his meeting when the defence is back peddling on the 4th and he generally runs at the halfback.

Tough. Give me a break.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Webcke isn't really tough (havent seen it, but I can picture him coming off if he gets a minor injury), but rather he epitomises passion. How 'bout Spud Caroll when he got up after Chief's hit? Pretty awesome

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
Spud? How bout Chief? he got knocked out and played on (eventually)

And there's numerous examples of Webke playing through massive pain. He played in a semi a few years ago despite having a still heavily broken arm which he'd had the week before.
Webke also fought (or tried to) Kevin Campion who is well known to be fairly handy with his fists so that's pretty brave/stupid. Needless to say he got belted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)