• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Tour de France 2006 (1 Viewer)

Bookie

Banned
HSC
So its about to start in a few minutes.

Who do people like this year?

I'm not gonna post massive right now cos im off to watch it.

I want Vinokourov to win, but Basso seems likely.

Discuss.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Was good last night, Robbie McEwen winning the stage and keeping the green jersey.

I reakon Boonen will be up there to win overall though, maybe someone from the Team Discovery Channel will be a chance too

..:: tassy ::..

HSC
Boonen to win the tour - what are you CRAZY? Boonen along with every other sprinter will suffer from tonight on.

Rogers is a good thing in the TT tonight. Triple world champ - and the man has come out and said this course suits him perfectly - hopefully he'll be wearing the golden fleece tonight.

Robbie Mac is un f'n belivable - awesome call from Ligget the other night abt the invisible cloak. GOLD!!!

Shame about Vinnie though - half his team got a drug suspension so they weren't allowed on the tour. Prolly retire now as well...

Come on the Del!!!

Last edited:

dilroy

HSC
This is kind of irrelevant but if anyone watchese the Gabriel Gate segments, is that Francois guy claiming to be his brother actually him? These segments crack me up :lol:

HSC
Wow Honchar absolutley ripped that TT to pieces. I don't think Rogers should be too dissapointed - Honchar pulled out something extraordinary.

Floyd Landis on good position. Definitely the favourite for the GC. The Del is well placed as well

Landis is the leader in terms of contendors for GC, Evans trails by 52 seconds, Hincappie by 2:30, and Levi Leipheimer bombed out and trails by over 6mins.

Robbie still leads the Green Jersey comp, and has another flat stage tonight to have another go at stage honours before we head to the Pyranees

Last edited:

carbyheat

HSC
Rest day today, then a big day up to Alpe d'Huez tommorrow evening. So who do you think will take the stage?

Rabobank have showed some great form, with Rasmussen, Boogard and even Menchov climbing well - but have they gone too soon?

Euskadel Euskadi haven't done a thing and I think some of their riders will be eager to prove themselves - or try to. Is Iban Mayo still riding??? :)

I have an odd feeling Agritubel will try something rediculous and make a very early break away...only to be chewed up on d'Huez.

I can't wait for the stage - fingers crossed Cadel doesn't bonk and ruin his GC chances. Providing he takes some good 'vitamins' today, and eats his meat I think he could be a podium finish.

This has been a fantastic tour and it should stay that way as GC is still way open and some of the riders who are after a place in Paris will be looking to gain some time over Landis in the hills - he is almost un-beatable in the time trials.

So, what do you think?

Peace

Bookie

Banned
HSC
carbyheat said:
Rest day today, then a big day up to Alpe d'Huez tommorrow evening. So who do you think will take the stage?
It'll be awesome. Alpe d'Huez, cant wait, dont know if I'll be able to stay up though. As for the stage, I'm hoping and thinking that either Evans or Kloeden will win, because they both need to attack Landis' time. Menchov will also have a chance. If they will attack, itll have to be on d'Huez cos they dont want to waste themselves early. I think its HC, Cat 1, HC tomorow.

Rabobank have showed some great form, with Rasmussen, Boogard and even Menchov climbing well - but have they gone too soon?
Menchov will be led into the mountains by Boogerd because Rasmussen wont be helping the team, he just wants his own KOTM jersey. But if Rasmussen was to lead Menchov, there'd be little stopping him.

Euskadel Euskadi haven't done a thing and I think some of their riders will be eager to prove themselves - or try to. Is Iban Mayo still riding???
pretty sure Mayo abandoned.

I have an odd feeling Agritubel will try something rediculous and make a very early break away...only to be chewed up on d'Huez.
meh, who cares :p

I can't wait for the stage - fingers crossed Cadel doesn't bonk and ruin his GC chances. Providing he takes some good 'vitamins' today, and eats his meat I think he could be a podium finish.
Mmhm, he should be sweet for the podium.

This has been a fantastic tour and it should stay that way as GC is still way open and some of the riders who are after a place in Paris will be looking to gain some time over Landis in the hills - he is almost un-beatable in the time trials.

So, what do you think?
I'm guessing Kloeden and Cadel will attack on Alpe d'Huez, and then will come that killer Stage 16. I think its HC, 2, HC, 1. It's fucking insane. Hope I can watche em, itll be awesome. Those two stages will decide, and of course, if theyre still together, then it'll come down to Time Trials.

I wonder if Michael Rogers will stick around in the mountains, cos hes not a half bad time triallist. He could push for an outsider chance on the podium.

carbyheat

HSC
Not a half bad time-trialist!!! I can only dream of riding like that man.

He knows how to get the best out of his body, and he will be comfortable with keeping up with le tete de la course. If he doesn't make any suicidal pantani like breakaways he should be only a few minutes behind the yellow jersey coming into the TT. Then he'll unleash!

RE: Rasmussen
Last years effort wasn't exactly selfish, to be KOTM was his goal and Rabobank only half supported it. You can't keep everyone happy in a team, and Rasmussen wanted to go for the glory- never let that opportunity slip. This year is different because there is a potential winner in Menchov and even Boogard (7minutes).

Freire has had a whinge and stopped going for the green jersey (just let him see his new child geeez!!!) so the goal for rabobank is to get it's riders over the Alpes first thus give maximum opportunity for the GC contenders and hopefully pick up the polka dot jersey on the way.

The dutch will take Alpe d'Huez tonight. Boogard was quoted (eurosport news) saying he wants to do well, and bring back the tradition of a dutchman winning the stage (it was a very long time ago!).

This should be a great stage, in fact i'm getting the video recorder set up - should work wonders for indoor training sessions.

Obviously my tip tonight: Boogaard and Rasmussen to breakaway, although the likely suspects of Landis, Evens, Pereiro and Christoph Moreau to be close behind.

I think Boonan will retire too, he's complained about almost everything possible this tour, pretty out of character as well.

Au revoir

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
They're all complaining. Have you read that mock article on cyclingnews about Leipheimer asking for a restart?

hilarious stuff

you ride in comps do you carbyheat?

btw, i think you care too much about rabobank, there are many other potential winners tonight :p

carbyheat

HSC
The cyclingnews takes are great, they should do more.
The best would have to be secrets of the peleton, http://secretsofthepeloton.com/plasticpelotonpeople.htm.

I'm just a little biased towards Rabobank - I'm related to the guys who pioneered the company in Holland. Pity most of the best riders aren't dutch (or Aussie...McEwen rode for them a while back).

I'm not racing, although I will be when I complete school this year. I work at a bike shop so I get put into events around Melbourne moreso as advertising for the store, plus I get free stuff :) - so this is incentive enough to stay relatively fit on the bike. Winter does terrible things though.

What about you, do you ride/race? I'm sure they're are a few here who do.

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Well, at least youve justified your Rabobank supportingness. And surprisingly, Rasmussen helped Menchov a lot of the way up, good on him. Interesting stage, but it depends on who can turn up tonight, it's a killer stage. I dont kow if Cadel just lost it, or whether hes saving up for tonight, but hes keeping himself in there. I think Pereiro used up all he had, and he'll fall off tonight. Landis and Kloeden to fight it out.

and no, i dont race at all. ill be looking to get a decent road bike after my hsc, so ill come down to your shop and pick one up then. i dont know really know anyone who rides with a club, but thats me :p im sure youd know tonnes through your job.

carbyheat

HSC
Menchov is saving himself, just like Cadel and Hincapie. Landis looked well in control last night up the bump, just pacing himself off Kloeden - although it's hard to tell when he is really pushing himself becuase he is just about expressionless. I wish he'd shave that rediculous beard off!

Tonight should really sort out the peloton, and I think we'll know how Cadel is going to go. Doesn't he look a bit sick to you?

The legend of last night though was Jens Voigt. He pushed the breakaway all the time. Did you see his crash about 10km from the base of Alpe d'Huez? I can't believe he caught back up to the group and stayed with them. He then lead Sastre and Schleck up the climb, only to peel off at the end; the man is a machine.

Rasmussen too pulled a blinder. He was at the rear of the peleton at the start of the climb, then 5minutes later is up at the front with Menchov? Where did he come from!

If your definate about getting a road bike, the next few months is an ideal period to look since all shops are running out their 2006 models. You can basically get bikes at just over cost price from the store. But stores have sales throughout the year so there is no rush to buy one now - maybe just have a brief look around. Best keep on track for HSC though - just maybe work out what you'd like (and how much your going to spend!). I'm happy to give you advice with what to buy, just let me know.

Looking forward to tonights stage!

Cheers

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
carbyheat said:
Menchov is saving himself, just like Cadel and Hincapie. Landis looked well in control last night up the bump, just pacing himself off Kloeden - although it's hard to tell when he is really pushing himself becuase he is just about expressionless. I wish he'd shave that rediculous beard off!

Tonight should really sort out the peloton, and I think we'll know how Cadel is going to go. Doesn't he look a bit sick to you?

The legend of last night though was Jens Voigt. He pushed the breakaway all the time. Did you see his crash about 10km from the base of Alpe d'Huez? I can't believe he caught back up to the group and stayed with them. He then lead Sastre and Schleck up the climb, only to peel off at the end; the man is a machine.

Rasmussen too pulled a blinder. He was at the rear of the peleton at the start of the climb, then 5minutes later is up at the front with Menchov? Where did he come from!

If your definate about getting a road bike, the next few months is an ideal period to look since all shops are running out their 2006 models. You can basically get bikes at just over cost price from the store. But stores have sales throughout the year so there is no rush to buy one now - maybe just have a brief look around. Best keep on track for HSC though - just maybe work out what you'd like (and how much your going to spend!). I'm happy to give you advice with what to buy, just let me know.

Looking forward to tonights stage!

Cheers
yep tonights stage will be tres awesome.

cadel does look a td sick but i still think he may just have been saving himself. whether he'll make the 3 minute gap to landis is another thing, and i doubt he'll do that.

menchov might be decent but he'll need rasmussen, and tonight im thinking that rasmussen will rush off early to get KOTM points. Lot of points on offer tonight. But maybe he'll be hanging on the last climb to help Menchov up.

Landis and Kloden will follow whichevr GC threat makes a break, and will stick with them the whole way i'm guessing. and dead set, he should really get rid of that crap on his face.

As for road bikes....well, I'd probably ride an hour each day and maybe more on weekends, and hopefully join a club. I've never done it pro before. I'm not very fit, but I'll work on it, im 79kg, 177cm, and I'm guessing a budget of $1000 - $1200. if i do buy itll be around late november, any sales then? :p thanks buddy

HSC
Holy Crap the last two nights have been out of this fucking world! Have been sleeping at skl its that bloody awesome! How Landis absolutley hit the wall, then came back and blew everyone else off the road last night i will never ever understand. The guy deserves to win after an effort like that. I think he will to

Perrero looks bloody awesome for someone that was laughed at when he won the maillot jaune. Shows just how much its about the mind than the body.

Unfortunatley the Del looks sunk. (Dont take my word for it though lol, I have absolutley no idea whats going to happen next in the tour) Maybe a podium but I doubt it. And where are any DVL team-mates? Cadel has been riding on his own this whole tour

Caisse D'Espargne didnt have the firepower at the front end of the peloton to hold Landis back - surely CSC should have acted earlier or T-Mobile could have done something.

Personally, I also think that Mick Rogers should leave T-Mobile. Could be a serious contender for GC nx yr if he's not Ullrich's or Kloden's bitch at the pinky squad

Bookie

Banned
HSC
McEwen can ride on his own from now on. Cadel needs support next year for sure.

But its not over yet. Time Trial still to come. Pereiro look set though.

I'd like landis, but he's a tad too ugly.

carbyheat

HSC
Prior to last nights stage I wasn't a fan of Landis, but that was an massive effort, I'd pay money to see that man's power output vs time graph.

You guys are right about Cadel, he has no support at all. Seriously where is his team and what are they doing?

T-Mobile are a disgrace. Did you see them chase down Rogers when he went off the front with Menchov the other night? This is so typical of this team - year in year out they do the same, I should expect it by now.

I'm very disapointed with Luiquigas and Euskadel, I expected much more. Perhaps the first two weeks of flat (comparatively boring) stages burnt them out. They've probably decided this tour isn't worth it, and so they're saving themselve for the Vuelta Espanyol which is in a few months time.

Tonights stage will be as boring as bat shit.:bomb:

Stay tuned for tommorrow night because Micky Rogers is going to totally kill the time trial, not that it's going to effect anything bar his ego.

Seriously apart from the skins commercial, Landis' facial hair has been the most annoying thing this tour, and his dorky time-tial position gives me the shits too. He has improved his imaged by winning the stage in that way, I still think it's the only stage he's really put much effort into. He's had it pretty easy. I think Rasmussens stage win was a bigger achievement though. Like, he attacked at 3km and wen't over the biggest mountain stage I've seen. Did you notice Rasmussen didn't even have a speedo let alone power meter or heart rate monitor. Nuts!

Last edited:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Good ol fashioned Rasmussen.
And I dont think T-Mobile 'chased' Rogers down, and if they did, they needed to because of Kloeden. But now, everyoe's out of the race except Pereiro and Landis. Unless they both have Etape 7 Leipheimer-like TT's.

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)