TPG 1.5mb ADSL Plan (1 Viewer)

Ninga

HSC
Hey,

I'm thinking bout going on this plan because its the cheapest around, for 1.5mb adsl. Plus you get shaped after 20gig. I'm just wondering what everyone has heard about this plan etc, how reliable they are, etc etc. I've seen a few people say that they are unreliable, but then theres a few that say that they arent bad. Anyone heard anything conclusive on this?

A few positives i see with this plan is:
- Free modem worth $60
- Its only a 6month contract, so if theyre shit, i can always change after 6 months, or if better plans come into place, etc. Hence i'm not locked into a gay plan for like a year or 2 as with telstra or optus.
- Its 1500/256k at $50 a month.

Negatives:
- $129 setup. But i guess i'd have the same with most ISPs.
- Shaping to 64k after 20gig.
- Need to pay with credit card.

So, some input would be great, cheers.

Andrea86

HSC
N/A
Ninga said:
Negatives:
- Need to pay with credit card.
Direct Debit is also an option, isn't it?

I'm thinking about switching to this plan also when i'm done with iiNet.

Last edited:

jayz

walking
tpg's tech support team doesn't help too much, but value wise the plan is the cheapest around on its own unless you use combined services from optus etc

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Yeah, I've heard the same: TPG support sucks, but the service is reliable for that price.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
if you think about it, it isn't that cheap... just a little bit cheap.
I reckon if you wait a while other will adjust their plans.

eg. compare to exetel

1500/AT $110.00 No $70.00 16 gbytes 12mn-8am $3.00 6 Months

that is $70 a month for 16gig downloads.
but you get free downloads at night up to 24gig freedownloads (after which you get shaped at night).

that is a fair amount of extra downloads for only $20 more.

cause with TPG, your 20gigs will be used up mightly quick, and you will have to suffer slow browsing in the day. While with exetel, just save your downloads for night and you can still have fast internet in the day.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It depends on your usage though. I know many people (mostly iinet users from bliink days) who set up their downloads overnight and go to sleep at midnight.

I do the same during uni holidays, but I can download during the day now that I work, and I want as much bandwidth as possible for gaming during the night (and I freely admit to playing all through the night.. la la la..)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
anti said:
It depends on your usage though. I know many people (mostly iinet users from bliink days) who set up their downloads overnight and go to sleep at midnight.

I do the same during uni holidays, but I can download during the day now that I work, and I want as much bandwidth as possible for gaming during the night (and I freely admit to playing all through the night.. la la la..)
Well, if you want to game at night exetel isn't so good. They have a "fair play" option where you get 300megs a night, but gurrantee good ping. Cause other wise you will get terrible ping from everyone downloading.

Then again, with the TPG plan, if you use up your 20gigs you won't be able to game anyway.

yeah, it all depends on how much you want to download. I'm doing just fine with 8gig limit + free at night.

elfanger

Even when capped, when i play on australian CS servers my ping is 50-75, which is very decent.

z.co

i think u are fairly unlucky.. i joined exetel about 2 weeks ago.. and this was the plan that follows..

1.5MB connection
1GB download limit- free downloading btw 12am-8am
30$ per month
$3 per GB excess download

210 connection fee- includes 2 line filters, and a 4port-ethernet ADSL router

its tops stuff

my frend.. who is also on this plan.. joined 4 days before me.. and his was the same thing.. but his monthly price is only 25..

EXETEL's price change every 5 days or so. its really shit if u get ripped off.! hahaha

z.co

its really weird.. i ahve 2 friends.. both with TPG.. one is getting excellent service and speeds.. and the other.. no so good/ ahhaha

if u wanna search // go here// WWW.whirlpool.net.au

you can search for any ISP in australia for the right price for you!

yeders

HSC is ALMOST OVER!!...
HSC
N/A
yeah heaps of ppl on the NSW DC PiPE complain about tpg, honestly, just knowning their wisdom and all, i wudnt go with tpg...excluding the fact that i d/l over 50gb a month on just PiPE/iinet NGs alone lol.... im not gona leave iinet, their news server is way gud...6 days retention!!full speed d/l!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)