Traffic lights (2 Viewers)

HSC
Hey people. Well I've almost had my L's for a year but have only done about 26 hours. I can go for my p's in May but wanna take them in about July and I have had quite a few driving lessons. I drive pretty well now but I have a problem and its kind of embarrassing. I get very confused about the different sorts of traffic lights and whether or not I have the right of way. My teacher has explained it to me but I still don't understand and today I.....uh panicked and stalled it at the lights lol. Could someone maybe post a link or something to help me out with this lights problem? Thanks

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Practice makes perfect.

I mean, most people just learn it intuitively. The fact that you've only done 26 of the required 120 hours is kind of evidence that you don't have a clue.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Red = stop.
Yellow = stop if you can.
Green = go (full right of way).
Nothing = go but give way to everyone else (there might be someone else with a green that crosses your path, or pedestrians crossing). Generally only with arrows.

Edit: flashing yellow = proceed with epic caution (give way to everyone)

Edit 2: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/p6.pdf

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
if you've done 26 hours so far, i hope to god you've got the above ^^ acknowledged.

If there is a red arrow (pointing in the direction you are turning) then you cannot make that turn, even if the cars can go straight ahead.

If there is a "B" over the lights - this is for the busses - do not pay attention because they do not apply to you.

FFS this was in the leanring test, consult the book.
I smell troll.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Give up now. If you don't understand how traffic lights work you have no business driving.

HSC
Yea I understand red, green, amber etc lol. Its the arrows where I get confused.

EDIT: I admit I never actually read the book... I just did the online test over and over again.
And thankyou for the link Dumsum

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
Yea I understand red, green, amber etc lol. Its the arrows where I get confused.
Not knowing what the arrows mean is just as bad.

HSC
Yeah you're right. Practice makes perfect I guess, on a plus side my gear changing is getting smoother and smoother. *waves banner*

EDIT: I do know that obviously, red arrow= can't turn left, I think my problem is actually knowing who gets the right of way in different situations and therefore my thread title is dumb. :(

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
Example: T junction.

Scenario - you want to turn right.

There is a green circle, and a green arrow.

Since there is a green arrow, you have the right of way.
So turn when the right arrow goes green and you want to turn right.

Now, instead of a green right turn arrow, there is NO ARROW [zomg]

Since there is no right turn arrow, it means LOOK AT THE ONCOMING TRAFFIC!!
If there is oncoming traffic, then obviously it is not safe to turn because you have no right or way. You're supposed to let the oncoming traffic clear up before you turn.
When it is safe, then do so turn right.
However, I recommend you to take a quick glance at the lights every so often, and just before you turn to see if it has changed. I've seen some douchebags just look at oncoming traffic and not realise their lights have turned red.

Scenario 2 - You want to turn left.

Generally there will be a left turn arrow.
However, if there is none, and there is just a green circle.. then it is USUALLY safe to turn left immediately as the cars going straight will block the traffic on your right.

When you turn left though, please look for pedestrians/bikes/motorcycles/people chucking illegal u-turns/hazards.

Drive safely.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
lol..... i love noob drivers.

i remember once i saw a L plater turn out of a street onto victoria rd.....but didnt straighten the wheel up an did a massive turn right into someones front yard.
man i laughed. then i drove past an laughed even harder

HSC
47.46.45 said:
Dear jesus. Hand in your license and kill yourself before you ruin someones day with your undoubtedly shit driving.
Talk to me when you're on your full license, sweetheart.
Shit, I mean we all start somewhere. My driving is alright, this is the one thing I haven't learned properly so leave me alone. I'm just trying to become a better driver and to get my p's.

Evilo

HSC
unfortunatly 47.46.45 is right, its like asking which pedal is the break and you're heading into a red light at a major intersection at 80km/hr

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
i-love-maynard said:
Talk to me when you're on your full license, sweetheart.
Shit, I mean we all start somewhere. My driving is alright, this is the one thing I haven't learned properly so leave me alone. I'm just trying to become a better driver and to get my p's.
You are controlling a tonne of metal moving at high speeds and you don't understand what are inarguably extremely basic road rules. What gives you the right to be rolling around in a lethal weapon when you didn't even take the time to learn road rules before you went for your L plates?
Maybe you should get your license at some point, but there is no way you should be behind the wheel of a car right now. There are enough idiots on the road already.

Edit: and I'm serious, I do think that cars are fucking dangerous and that's it's morally disgusting to not take every feasible precaution to avoid increasing that danger. I'm not advocating stunt driving courses for all, just taking the time to learn the rules.

(excuse the angst, thanks to fail drivers I'm public transporting to uni every day and my car is a writeoff and the NRMA are taking forever to pay out and ARGH)

Last edited:

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
47.46.45 said:
You are controlling a tonne of metal moving at high speeds and you don't understand what are inarguably extremely basic road rules. What gives you the right to be rolling around in a lethal weapon when you didn't even take the time to learn road rules before you went for your L plates?
Maybe you should get your license at some point, but there is no way you should be behind the wheel of a car right now. There are enough idiots on the road already.

Edit: and I'm serious, I do think that cars are fucking dangerous and that's it's morally disgusting to not take every feasible precaution to avoid increasing that danger. I'm not advocating stunt driving courses for all, just taking the time to learn the rules.

(excuse the angst, thanks to fail drivers I'm public transporting to uni every day and my car is a writeoff and the NRMA are taking forever to pay out and ARGH)
I dont think you get what i-love-maynard is saying.
It's not that she doesnt understand the basic principals of traffic lights (ie stop, dont stop), it's that she dont completly understand who gives way and when in the situation CieL explained.

and you must have your head a long way up your own ass if you think that yourself, or anyone else could get that straight away when they start on their L's.

HSC
jasonml said:
I dont think you get what i-love-maynard is saying.
It's not that she doesnt understand the basic principals of traffic lights (ie stop, dont stop), it's that she dont completly understand who gives way and when in the situation CieL explained.

and you must have your head a long way up your own ass if you think that yourself, or anyone else could get that straight away when they start on their L's.
thankyou, someone understands me! :)

And I'm not saying I don't know the rest of the road rules. I got 100% on my L's and have had 20 lessons with two different teachers. I was just never told who gives way at intersections and have just depended on my teacher's instructions. Lol and the whole point of this thread is so I CAN learn, so I don't cause a big accident in future. So that I CAN pass my p's and deserve to drive. I'm not being ignorant, I'm looking to improve.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
No, he's right. You should know how traffic lights work before you start driving, not after 26 fucking hours. Don't you watch what's going on when other people are driving? Holy shit, you fail hard.

m&ss2008

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
I'm not being ignorant, I'm looking to improve.
exactly, there's so many teenagers that think they're God's gift and they know everything.
at least you're making an effort. just remember on the black light (where the green arrow is usually) you're allowed to creep out into the intersection, just past the stop lines. as long as you dont get in anyone's way. and when the arrow changes to amber (or red) you can turn. make sure nobody runs their light though

iEdd

HSC
Are there any specific light situations you don't understand that you want explained?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)