Traffic lights (2 Viewers)

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
Fail fail fail. My head is not up my arse, I do not know everything (nor do I think that I do). I don't even think I'm any better than an average driver, since I've only been driving for a few years and am only taking interest in the more advanced side of it all now.
That said, I don't need to be perfect to tell you that you're a nutcase to think that it's okay to be driving when you don't know BASIC RULES. Traffic lights aren't rocket science ffs. "OH MY GOD I WANT TO TURN RIGHT BUT ITS ONLY GREEN FOR STRAIGHT AHEAD OMG OMG OMG". Learn that shit *before* you start driving. You're meant to know most of the theory before you even sit your L's test, but everyone who doesn't already know it (usually on account of being an unobservant tool) just gets online and learns all the quiz questions and thinks thats good enough.
How do you handle roundabouts? Are you that crazy bitch in richmond who goes around the wrong way with the hazards on?

"OH HALP GUYS I'M NOT SURE WUT WAY IS LEFT"

jasonml said:
It's not that she doesnt understand the basic principals of traffic lights (ie stop, dont stop), it's that she dont completly understand who gives way

and you must have your head a long way up your own ass if you think that yourself, or anyone else could get that straight away when they start on their L's.
The question (s)he's asking are pretty basic. And I knew how lights worked before I started on my L's, I think I've known it since I was like 12 and started to pay attention when other people were driving :s

Last edited:

m&ss2008

HSC
so what you're saying is you'd rather someone not care about road safety and cause a fatal crash rather than asking a simple question and avoiding any injuries?

i think your enormous head is stuck in your arse for good.
maybe i-love-maynard should be the one to plow into you.

if not, id like a turn

wanker

breed obsession
HSC
m&ss2008 said:
so what you're saying is you'd rather someone not care about road safety and cause a fatal crash rather than asking a simple question and avoiding any injuries?

i think your enormous head is stuck in your arse for good.
maybe i-love-maynard should be the one to plow into you.

if not, id like a turn

wanker
You're presenting a false dichotomy where the only options are drive for 20 hours, then either ask and become a miraculously good driver or don't ask and cause an accident. Here's a third option: learn that shit before you get behind the wheel. My head isn't up my arse, you / your shit driving efriend are just unbelievably crap.

michael1990

HSC
CieL said:
Example: T junction.

Scenario - you want to turn right.

Now, instead of a green right turn arrow, there is NO ARROW [zomg]

Since there is no right turn arrow, it means LOOK AT THE ONCOMING TRAFFIC!!
If there is oncoming traffic, then obviously it is not safe to turn because you have no right or way. You're supposed to let the oncoming traffic clear up before you turn.
When it is safe, then do so turn right.
However, I recommend you to take a quick glance at the lights every so often, and just before you turn to see if it has changed. I've seen some douchebags just look at oncoming traffic and not realise their lights have turned red.
When you are in the above situation, you HAVE to move into the intersection. If it goes red when your're in the intersection thats fine you still need to go.

Paj20

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
Hey people. Well I've almost had my L's for a year but have only done about 26 hours. I can go for my p's in May but wanna take them in about July and I have had quite a few driving lessons. I drive pretty well now but I have a problem and its kind of embarrassing. I get very confused about the different sorts of traffic lights and whether or not I have the right of way. My teacher has explained it to me but I still don't understand and today I.....uh panicked and stalled it at the lights lol. Could someone maybe post a link or something to help me out with this lights problem? Thanks
lol, if you have a green light, your right of way, if you have a turn we safe ,turn when safe. Generally when your turning and the turning arrows not green or red you turn when safe also. Just make sure no1 else is going through your section and you should b right.

HSC
47.46.45 said:
Fail fail fail. My head is not up my arse, I do not know everything (nor do I think that I do). I don't even think I'm any better than an average driver, since I've only been driving for a few years and am only taking interest in the more advanced side of it all now.
That said, I don't need to be perfect to tell you that you're a nutcase to think that it's okay to be driving when you don't know BASIC RULES. Traffic lights aren't rocket science ffs. "OH MY GOD I WANT TO TURN RIGHT BUT ITS ONLY GREEN FOR STRAIGHT AHEAD OMG OMG OMG". Learn that shit *before* you start driving. You're meant to know most of the theory before you even sit your L's test, but everyone who doesn't already know it (usually on account of being an unobservant tool) just gets online and learns all the quiz questions and thinks thats good enough.
How do you handle roundabouts? Are you that crazy bitch in richmond who goes around the wrong way with the hazards on?

"OH HALP GUYS I'M NOT SURE WUT WAY IS LEFT"

The question (s)he's asking are pretty basic. And I knew how lights worked before I started on my L's, I think I've known it since I was like 12 and started to pay attention when other people were driving :s

Omfg! You are being rude! Now you're just purposefully trying to belittle me by telling me what a shit driver I am, just because you're more experienced. I am a LEARNER. I am LEARNING. You don't know me, you haven't seen me drive. I posted a question for a little help and all you've done is put me down. I started this thread for a reason. To gain more understanding before I drive again. My new teacher is going to be taking me to busier and busier areas so I need to overcome this, hence why I asked for some information on here. Don't you think its better that I gain some knowledge from a more experienced driver, such as yourself, instead of going out and trying to absorb extra information whilst gear changing, keeping in mind pedestrians etc? OMG, I just wanted some help, but I know not to ask in future. Thanks to those who did reply with useful information, I'm understanding now.

breed obsession
HSC
i-love-maynard said:
Omfg! You are being rude! Now you're just purposefully trying to belittle me by telling me what a shit driver I am, just because you're more experienced. I am a LEARNER. I am LEARNING. You don't know me, you haven't seen me drive. I posted a question for a little help and all you've done is put me down. I started this thread for a reason. To gain more understanding before I drive again. My new teacher is going to be taking me to busier and busier areas so I need to overcome this, hence why I asked for some information on here. Don't you think its better that I gain some knowledge from a more experienced driver, such as yourself, instead of going out and trying to absorb extra information whilst gear changing, keeping in mind pedestrians etc? OMG, I just wanted some help, but I know not to ask in future. Thanks to those who did reply with useful information, I'm understanding now.
I don't care if you're looking for help now, it is downright irresponsible of you to be driving anywhere when you aren't sure of the basic theory. Do you think you deserve a medal or something because you're finally asking for help? You should have done it before you even went for your L's test. I don't mean to comment on your worth as a person - maybe you're a great artist or something - but yes, I'm pretty sure you're a bad driver. Please go and talk to whoever your supervising driver is and have them explain the rules to you with brightly coloured paper and crayons before you turn against traffic flow and cause some horrendous pile up death inferno.
By all means come here with silly questions - I know I do often enough - but if it's something like this I don't want to know that you've been out there driving and don't know how traffic lights work. It's scary.

HSC
Okay, you are allowed to voice your opinion but I just didn't like personal attacks. Sorry if I blew up. But I'm not going to kill anyone. The car I learn in is dual controls and my new teacher wouldn't let that happen.

EDIT: Once again, I should have rephrased the original post better. I was unsure about the right of way at these intersections, I do know colours and arrows. And does not knowing this make me a "bad driver" like you said? I know everything else, I think my lack of knowledge is due to me not having much practice in intersections. I usually drive around in suburbs or long roads near Leppington, Catherine Field etc.

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
michael1990 said:
When you are in the above situation, you HAVE to move into the intersection. If it goes red when your're in the intersection thats fine you still need to go.
For real?
You HAVE to?
In real life or the DART?

I don't always. Like for instance if I can see an endless stream of cars and know that I most likely very probably be able to turn at all.

I just find it dangerous to be in the intersection after the light goes yellow.. and some oncoming car wants to "beat the lights".

I can't believe the OP didnt even bother looking at my artistic talents. Bitch.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I don't think that's right. I mean, if the line of traffic is really long and the only chance you're going to get to cross is when the light is yellow I can see why you would. But you don't have to. Feel free to sit behind the white line until you can turn the corner.

Of course, once you're in the intersection you have to move before the light goes red.

If only one car is going across the intersection every time, maybe reconsider turning there.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Bullshit you have to. Most of those intersections with sensors will set a light change off for you, rather than make you wait for a gap if you stay at the line and not blaze past it.

Much more sensible option in peak hour traffic, no?

michael1990

HSC
CieL said:
For real?
You HAVE to?

I don't always. Like for instance if I can see an endless stream of cars and know that I most likely very probably be able to turn at all.

I just find it dangerous to be in the intersection after the light goes yellow.. and some oncoming car wants to "beat the lights".

LOL @ artistic talents.

Yes this is in the DART and real life.

When you are in the situation of being stuck in the middle of the intersection when the light has turned red. You proceed to move the car forward just a little more, so that the other cars do know you will be turning. This is law.

Remember that you do not turn your steering wheel unless making a turn. Move straight into the intersection. If you stop at a green light you will fail your DART.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I think it depends on whether or not it has a green arrow. Some intersections just have the green light and you have to cross by yourself.

In peak hour traffic, turning right at these intersections is not recommended by me.

michael1990

HSC
Azamakumar said:
Bullshit you have to. Most of those intersections with sensors will set a light change off for you, rather than make you wait for a gap if you stay at the line and not blaze past it.

Much more sensible option in peak hour traffic, no?
If you do not go into the intersection when it has a green light, and on your DART you will fail.

The car behind you is to wait at the line, until your car has moved through the intersection.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Yeah true. in RL bullshit you have to go.

but in the driving test i'm pretty sure you luuse sum poyntz if you dont enter the intersection and you are the first car.

Last edited:
HSC
CieL said:
For real?
You HAVE to?

Sorry, I forgot to thank you! I was busy letting all the previous criticisms get to me lol. I think your drawings are lovely :)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Surely not.

I can't imagine the RTA advocating sitting in the intersection. How come when you do the green P test, your car isn't in the middle of the intersection while waiting to turn right?

Pace_T

HSC
stay on the sensor and you will probably get a green anyway. some have a different sequence though and you should just move forward.
i like to move forward cause i know that as soon as the oncoming traffic starts to slow down all at once i know they have a yellow light, and then i just go

michael1990

HSC
scarybunny said:
I don't think that's right. I mean, if the line of traffic is really long and the only chance you're going to get to cross is when the light is yellow I can see why you would. But you don't have to. Feel free to sit behind the white line until you can turn the corner.

Of course, once you're in the intersection you have to move before the light goes red.

If only one car is going across the intersection every time, maybe reconsider turning there.
Wrong.

You do have to proceed into the intersection if it is a green light. You do not have to turn before it goes red either. You move more slowly, when the light changes to red. you look around and you proceed.
You let the other cars know you do have to turn the corner.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Hmm maybe they say that so at least one car will always get through the intersection?

But really, if the intersection has no green arrow and only one car at a time is going through, I wouldn't even bother with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)