Transfer from Bcomm in Macquarie to UNSW (1 Viewer)

tudor182

HSC
Doing the HSC this year...
I really want to study Commerce in UNSW but doubt that I will get above 93 (SAD!) so i'm thinking maybe i could study commerce at Macquarie for the first year and then apply to transfer? So what kind of marks would i be looking at (ie. UAI and GPA) to successfully transfer? If anyone has done that please post!!

I'm expecting to get above 88 UAI....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You can't do the 'normal' commerce program if you're enrolled in IT/Arts/Social Science.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
tudor182 said:
I really want to study Commerce in UNSW but doubt that I will get above 93 (SAD!) so i'm thinking maybe i could study commerce at Macquarie for the first year and then apply to transfer? So what kind of marks would i be looking at (ie. UAI and GPA) to successfully transfer? If anyone has done that please post!!

Hi Tudor

To be successful in transferring, you will need to achieve a Non-Recent School Leaver's (NRSL) rank equal or higher to the NRSL cut-off for B Commerce. Your NRSL leaver's rank is calculated by a 50/50 combination of your tertiary selection rank (which is determined by converting your Grade Point Average (GPA) to a number out of 100) and your UAI. For information on how to caculate your GPA and selection rank, visit here.

Accordingly, to estimate your chances, you would need to find out the Non-Recent School Leaver's cut-off for B Commerce last year. I do not know what it was, and UNSW has been reluctant in the past to release them. However, the UAI for Commerce at UNSW last year was 95 and since the NRSL cut-off is usually a bit below the ordinary UAI cut-off, we might estimate that it would be around 92 for Commerce at UNSW.

Thus if you received a UAI of 90, then you would need a selection rank of 94, which equates to a GPA of approximately 5.8, which means you would need to obtain almost all Distinctions, with the odd Credit, in your first year. This is doable, but you would have to work hard, and very consistently.

phrred

HSC
tudor182 said:

You could try that but you may get owned by some of the core courses. An idea would be to do science/arts or arts at unsw. my friend did accounting as part of science (dont know how) u can do micro and macro in arts and u can do a language or something like politics where 6UOC can be used as GenEds

CrashOveride

HSC
Just curious, if I wanted to transfer from Mac (actuarial/fin) to UNSW B Com (finance) with an intention for honours, then would all the math,actuarial,other unrelated units etc. not be given credit for? Because according to http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2007/FINSA13502.html
it seems at UNSW your electives or "options" have to come from the faculty you are based in.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
~88uai should get you into BEco @ UNSW, same thing as Commerce first year, get good grades and transfer into Commerce.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:
Just curious, if I wanted to transfer from Mac (actuarial/fin) to UNSW B Com (finance) with an intention for honours, then would all the math,actuarial,other unrelated units etc. not be given credit for? Because according to http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2007/FINSA13502.html
it seems at UNSW your electives or "options" have to come from the faculty you are based in.
MATH/COMP are Science subjects and will be credited to a Science degree.

Actuarial and other Commerce subjects will be credited to a Commerce degree.

This holds if the content and assessment is similar to the equivalent 1st yr courses.

The idea of options/electives is provided in the recommended programs by the different faculties. The university itself only recognises subjects you have done, whether they have been recommended as core or elective courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)