Transfer from Comm to Comm/Law (1 Viewer)

-kc

HSC
Hey everyone,

So I've accepted my Commerce offer and I'm starting to choose which courses I want to do. According to this unsw link, I have to enrol in the compulsory core courses of:
  • ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
  • ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)
  • ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC)
  • MGMT1001 Managing Organisations&People (6 UOC)
My questions are:
1) How many UOCs do I have to do? edit: Derp answered this question myself - Min UOC Per Semester: 3, Max UOC Per Semester: 24, Min UOC For Award: 144 (for people with the same question)
2) I was told that in order for me to transfer into Comm/Law, I need to have credits which the Law degree acknowledges, but I was never told which specific courses I could choose from/needed to do. Am I correct in believing that I can choose from these (from this other unsw link):
  • ACCTA14733 Accounting
  • ECONF14733 Business Economics
  • ECONI14733 Business Strategy & Economic Mgmt
  • ECONJ14733 Financial Economics
  • FINSA14733 Finance
  • MGMTH14733 Human Resources Management
  • INFSA14733 Information Systems
  • IBUSA14733 International Business
  • MGMTA14733 Management
  • MARKA14733 Marketing
  • COMMF14733 Real Estate Studies
  • LEGTF14733 Taxation
3) Can I change my courses once I have added them through the 'Update your enrolment' option in the My Student Profile tab?
4) Do I organise my timetable once I have chosen my courses?

I never knew accepting an offer could be this lengthy and difficult lol

Thanks for your time and help!

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
2) All commerce courses are approved for study with law with the exception of LEGT courses. I believe this is about to change but not sure it if has. Have you decided on a major? If you have pick courses in that major as you only get one major for Com/Law.
4) Yes you can.
3) Yeap.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
3 and 4 are yes

Also for 2, you quoted majors under Comm/Law. I think what it means is that you need to do courses that do not have exclusions that include Law courses.

-kc

HSC
3 and 4 are yes

Also for 2, you quoted majors under Comm/Law. I think what it means is that you need to do courses that do not have exclusions that include Law courses.
Sounds good! Thanks a lot :D

2) All commerce courses are approved for study with law with the exception of LEGT courses. I believe this is about to change but not sure it if has. Have you decided on a major? If you have pick courses in that major as you only get one major for Com/Law.
4) Yes you can.
3) Yeap.
Cheers man! I'm fairly certain I want to major in finance - so I should pick courses relating to finance is what you're saying?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds good! Thanks a lot :D

Cheers man! I'm fairly certain I want to major in finance - so I should pick courses relating to finance is what you're saying?
if you are certain on doing finance major then I would take FINS1613 in Sem 1 instead of a core. It is said FINS1613 in sem 2 is much harder.

-kc

HSC
if you are certain on doing finance major then I would take FINS1613 in Sem 1 instead of a core. It is said FINS1613 in sem 2 is much harder.
So for first sem, I don't have to do these 'compulsory core courses'? i.e. ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC), ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC), ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC) and MGMT1001 Managing Organisations&People (6 UOC)

I am also wondering, is it possible to change your timetable around? Or is it set in stone after the first time?

Sorry for bombarding you questions! Really appreciate the help

Last edited:

Alkanes

HSC
Yes you don't have to do it. But most if not all first years do those 4 subjects in the first semester. I recommend you doing it. And yes you can change your timetable around assuming that tutorial/lecture slots are still vacant.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
You don't need to do all the compulsory core courses in the first semester. Feel free to mix them up with the flexicores, and even electives if/when you transfer to law next year. I kind of wish someone had told me back then that it really didn't matter. Heaps of people leave them til second year (non-dual degree students are probably less likely to do this), and I know several who left one til third year. But yeah, do FINS1613 either first sem or next year. There's a pretty wide difference in the difficulty/scoring between Semester 1 and 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)