transfer from dentistry to med? (1 Viewer)

freq707

HSC
My friend was talking about this the other, saying his sister, in med at usyd, said that alot of the people in her class were in dentistry in their first year and that first year dentistry is the same course as first year med, so they can easily transfer into med
is this a real option? because it does seem alot easier to get into dentistry???

HSC
N/A
My friend was talking about this the other, saying his sister, in med at usyd, said that alot of the people in her class were in dentistry in their first year and that first year dentistry is the same course as first year med, so they can easily transfer into med
is this a real option? because it does seem alot easier to get into dentistry???
The first two years of GMP/Dent. are virtually the same, except Dentistry have these oral health-oriented classes and GMP has anat. classes. Assuming you don't fail and have the necessary grades (GMP has a C-average 'cut-off'), you will have to first seek the two deans of faculties and discuss this with them.

If this isn't a real option, suck it/suck it up, graduate from dent., and then, if you still can be bothered, get that medical degree. Just realize, if you're by any chance doing comparatively higher-paying health sciences for the pay packet, the average dentist earns more than the average medical practitioner/doctor.

If you do graduate from Dent., and apply and make GMP, you can apply for provisions and exemptions, so long as you complete the Dent./GMP degree both at Sydney.

Answer: It's possible. It's even possible for other med school people to transfer into Sydney's medical program.

freq707

HSC
ah k thanks for that

is it actually alot easier to get into dentistry??

ive considered them both as options, when comparing the financial aspect of it...but i really do think personally i love the idea of working with patients and being a gmp over the thought of being a dentist...even tho the pros of dentistry outweigh those of gmp ha

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
easier to get into dentistry?
the competition is quite fierce considering theres only 1 undergrad dental school each for NSW and VIC. and considering the number of students in each of these states, it would be tough. however, dentistry is usually second choice to med. so i guess it lessens the competition.

freq707

HSC
haha yer I did think that also, but i figure alot of people doing gamsat are doing it for med, and those that dont get in wuld consider dent.

im just trying to consider all option to get into med...coz i really want to haha

umat is soon, and im just going to remain confident that i wont ever even need to consider dent. as a leg into med and ill just get in for next year :)

HSC
N/A
ah k thanks for that

is it actually alot easier to get into dentistry??
The requirements are lower, but there are fewer places at the University of Sydney.

Generally, Dentistry has lower requirements than Medicine programs. IIRC, Adelaide's cut-off for undergraduate Dental Surgery is 90, whereas its medical program was HSC-equivalent 95.
ive considered them both as options, when comparing the financial aspect of it...
They're both secure. You know how most people say health sciences isn't about the money or whatever, or that, if it is your primary or sole concern/motivation, then you'll hate doing the course, your life, etc.? Well, whatever floats your boat, really.
but i really do think personally i love the idea of working with patients and being a gmp over the thought of being a dentist...even tho the pros of dentistry outweigh those of gmp ha
GMP is "Graduate Medical Program"; just say "doctor"/"physician"/"surgeon"/"lab dude" or something - anything but "GMP", which, by the way, looks a lot like "gimp".

P.S. Throughout your Dentistry years at UoS, you have patient contact - like, ASAPAP. Sure, they mightn't be hospital patients, but dentists get to use the title 'Dr.', they are health practitioners, and whatevs.
easier to get into dentistry?
the competition is quite fierce considering theres only 1 undergrad dental school each for NSW and VIC. and considering the number of students in each of these states, it would be tough. however, dentistry is usually second choice to med. so i guess it lessens the competition.
I don't know; it could be the crapload of uber-rationality pills-for-the-thrills; but, perhaps the situation is exacerbated by the smaller intake?
haha yer I did think that also, but i figure alot of people doing gamsat are doing it for med, and those that dont get in wuld consider dent.

im just trying to consider all option to get into med...coz i really want to haha

umat is soon, and im just going to remain confident that i wont ever even need to consider dent. as a leg into med and ill just get in for next year :)
Apply for both if you're willing - willing to keep an open mind apropos your career, your prospects, your whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)