transfer from medical science (1 Viewer)

fr3ddy8

HSC
Hey, sorry i posted this in another thread but no one has replied yet.
My UAI is 85.45 and at the moment my first preference is medical science at UNSW. If i was accepted into medical science I was thinking of transferring to pharmacy or something that doesn't really lead to research as a career. But many people are expecting the cut-off for UNSW to rise so UTS is my next choice because my UAI isn't high enough for USYD's medical science. And now that I'm considering UTS's medical science, I might as well do a combined degree (medical science/business or science/business) because it may not lead to research.
My question is, can i still transfer to pharmacy if i don't like the combined degree?
Thanks.

fr3ddy8

HSC
I see that medical science/business needs 96cp of medical science and 96cp of business. While a single degree of medical science needs 144cp. I'm thinking of majoring finance or marketing in business. Though I'm more interested in medical science than business. The thing is that I'm not sure on doing research as a career if i did a single degree of med. science. I rather work in hospitals as a pathologist or something.

Are there employers (say hospitals) that prefer a full single degree? Would a single degree be more better for these jobs (pathologist)? Would the business part be useful?

Would it be worth it doing a combined degree? What are some of the careers doing this degree?

Any advice peoples? Should I do a double degree or single degree?

Thanks and.. Happy New Year!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
fr3ddy8 said:
I rather work in hospitals as a pathologist or something.

Are there employers (say hospitals) that prefer a full single degree? Would a single degree be more better for these jobs (pathologist)? Would the business part be useful?
To become a pathologist, you need MBBS, not a science degree.

Obviously in a single degree you do 144 units of med science subjects, compared with only 96 units in your combined degree. So people with a single degree would generally know more about the field than people in a comhined degree.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Survivor39 said:
To become a pathologist, you need MBBS, not a science degree.

Obviously in a single degree you do 144 units of med science subjects, compared with only 96 units in your combined degree. So people with a single degree would generally know more about the field than people in a comhined degree.
Survivor39: you are truly a god amongst men.. a god amongst men. .:)

fr3ddy8: yes u need an MBBS, experience as a junior medical officer and a fellowship of the royal aust college of pathologist (FRCPA).. takes minimum 13 yrs.. pay is similar to a GP... unless u own the lab

and each state needs lik only a couple of forensic pathologist.. u will not be lik CSI.. so u might want to reconsider.. most pathologist are lab guys and researchers.

see www.rcpa.edu.au

a BSc (pathology) allows u to do research in pathology and be a technician to do samples.. but u cant make a diagnosis..

fr3ddy8

HSC
Oh ic.. i'm looking in the job guide book.. How about 'Medical Scientist'? They describe it as conducting "medical laboratory tests to provide information for diagnosing, treating and preventing disease" and they work in hospitals. It seems interesting. Anyone know much about this job? Then again.. still gotta decide whether to choose a single degree or combined degree.. any advice?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
fr3ddy8 said:
Oh ic.. i'm looking in the job guide book.. How about 'Medical Scientist'? They describe it as conducting "medical laboratory tests to provide information for diagnosing, treating and preventing disease" and they work in hospitals. It seems interesting. Anyone know much about this job? Then again.. still gotta decide whether to choose a single degree or combined degree.. any advice?
the devil is in the wording
"to provide information for diagnosing, treating and preventing disease"
this means they run the machines and they do sample analysis and give results..

they do not diagnose, treat or prevent disease.
:)

fr3ddy8 said:
Hmmm.. i'm looking at http://www.aims.org.au/aims_org/careers.htm . To be a medical scientist, one needs to study one of those degrees listed there. Why isn't Medical Science @ UNSW, USYD or UTS in the list?
they are vocational degrees
these degrees are accredited to be lab technicians under them.. other ppl have to work first or sit exams to join them.. but u can still be a medical scientist without AIMS fellowship

"Member who has completed a directed medical laboratory science degree from an Australian university or other qualification according to the guidelines approved by National Council." -AIMS (http://www.aims.org.au/aims_org/aboutaims.htm)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)