Transfer into B Psychology - is it possible (1 Viewer)

dalc

HSC
Has anyone actually transferred from B Science or another degree into B Psychology? I've heard it's really hard to transfer. Do you have to get really really really good marks to transfer? Does B Science offer a level of Psychology equivalent to that in B Psychology?

:santa:

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
From the Science faculty handbook:

Transferring into the BPsych
Students may transfer from any degree into the BPsych with the permission of the Dean provided that they have completed at least 48 cps and have obtained a High Distinction average in at least 12 credit points of Junior Psychology units of study.

You don't have to be in the BPsych degree to be doing Psychology, you can still do the same units in other degrees that allow you to take Psychology units. You can still major in Psych in a BSc or a BA. And by the way, there's a new degree called BA(Psych) which is similar to the BPsych structure-wise, just that you do Arts subjects instead of Science subjects besides Psych.

dalc

HSC
Do you know if I have a greater chance of transferring if I do 1 year of Psychology at Sydney Uni rather than at another uni?

gerhard

HSC
a b psych is just a b science with a major in psychology. there is no difference. every subject in a b psych you can do in b science. no point in changing.

a b psych has its own tutorial group in first year i think but this is almost 100% useless. this is the only actual difference between doing a b psych and doing a b science and choosing to major in psychology.

veridis

droog
HSC
thats not exactly true. doing honors in psych is very competitive and doing the B Psych or BA(Psych) makes it much easier to get in. honors is needed to register as a psychologist so is a psych major without it isnt really that useful.

americanshoes

HSC
veridis said:
thats not exactly true. doing honors in psych is very competitive and doing the B Psych or BA(Psych) makes it much easier to get in. honors is needed to register as a psychologist so is a psych major without it isnt really that useful.
Actually doing B Psych gives you no preferential entry into honours. It just that B. Psych students MUST keep a distinction average in 2nd and 3rd years, which is pretty much what is required to get into psyc honours, regardless of what degree you're in. So a B.Sci or B.Arts student with a distinction average has as much chance of getting into honours as a B. Psych student

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
americanshoes said:
Actually doing B Psych gives you no preferential entry into honours. It just that B. Psych students MUST keep a distinction average in 2nd and 3rd years, which is pretty much what is required to get into psyc honours, regardless of what degree you're in. So a B.Sci or B.Arts student with a distinction average has as much chance of getting into honours as a B. Psych student
so true, am doin a B Sci/b Comm at USYD atm and everything i have heard backs up this comment.

B Psych with its higher performance standards just means its students tend to be able to make honours, only cause anyone who is underperforming is bumped down into B Sci, there is really no need to try for a transfer.

personally i dont think i would relish the extra pressure to perform.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)