Transfer into law (1 Viewer)

LILSandy

HSC
has anyone successfully done this?? how hard was it?

i got offered a dfee place in international studies law cause the uai went up to 95 :mad: so i was pretty dissapointed cause i easily wouldve gotten in with last years uai. ive talked with my parents and they can pay for the first year but after that id probably need to start taking out loans or try to switch to a csp place

ive also been offered a csp spot in just international studies, so im wondering if i'm better off going in dfee and trying to switch to csp or taking the csp offer and trying to transfer to law, i have so much thinking to do in the next few days... if anyone can help thatd be great

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It depends on how much you really want to do law, if its a passion, then stick with it and try and get a good GPA (grade point average) so you might be able to get into a CSP place next year.

If you're not quite sure, then maybe just try Int Studies first, and see how you like uni, and then if you're still keen, you can try and transfer into it, you'll need similarly high marks I gather to try anyway so.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
As Mike (above) said, you can transfer into the desired degree. This will retain your liability category (i.e. if you're CSP/DFEE, it'll stay CSP/DFEE, respectively).

To elaborate, you can do this in three ways: (but only the first two are generally formally indicated)
  1. Internal Degree Transfer - Requires an appropriate GPA, and can be done after 12 months of study. Law, as you seem to be aware, needs you to do funny things with law units and THEN transferring... From what I've seen in my various paid positions, this is quite common (or, no more or less common than any other degree transfer..)
  2. External transfer - reapply via UAC next year/whenever appropriate.
  3. Follow the course of the desired degree, and when graduating, simply specify you want to graduate from X degree, instead of Y (which you're admitted into). This would require high numbers of waivers (which then allow you to units you're not meant to have access to) and thus may not work for the Law department because they're thingy like that, but it's worth knowing it's an option. (Esp for others who may read this in the future).
    You should talk to the Academic Programs Section (APS), or Graduations unit, to confirm this before you take advice from random strangers on internet forums, though. Their contact details are at on the website.

..as said (becuase I can't blame you for not reading all that in detail), from my experience in paid positions, Law internal transfers aren't any more or less common than other degree transfers ...and by inference are obviously "doable".

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

The annoying this is that they say this (basically); 'you get admitted into the law quota based on a combination of your HSC, your GPA, and your application. Once in the quota, you need to complete LAW114 and then LAW104 to transfer into a law degree.'

I think this is pretty confusing; 1. the exact criteria for last year's transfers is never released, 2. while technically it's not the case, students should just be told that if they pass the above criteria on their year (like the UAI, which changes), they get admitted into law. None of this completion of 104 stuff, or calling it a 'quota' etc etc.

maka

HSC
My advice:

(1) Take the CSP Int Studies option
(2) Work your ass off
(3) Apply next year again for Int Studies/Law via UAC
(4) Seek internal transfers

Seriously why pay 20k when you only do 2 units of LAW in 1st year. Why would you pay the extra 10k for a DFEE spot when your marks would be reasonably competitive for an internal/UAC transfer.

The UAI for non school leavers is reduced. Probably to last years levels

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

maka said:
My advice:

(1) Take the CSP Int Studies option
(2) Work your ass off
(3) Apply next year again for Int Studies/Arts via UAC
(4) Seek internal transfers
Do you mean Int Studies/Law?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
maka said:
My advice:
<snip>
I'd agree with that (using the right degree, as per Rob, above), personally, but that's based on our own assumptions/desires. That said, I've seen many students make apparently irrational decisions based on their own circumstances/sense of rationality...

maka

HSC
Yes Int Studies/Law.

I dont see the point in doing a DFEE course where you will only do 2 LAW units and pay so much to do them.

Int Studies will do 6 Int Studies units and the 2 compulsory LAW. Why not just do Int Studies and work on getting a UAC/Internal Transfer then when you are in the LLB degree, do the 100 levels.

That way you do lose any unreasonable amounts of money.

Obviosuly at the end of this year, I would put in UAC offers that are both CSP and DFEE (just in case)

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Thirded.

Also note that you're not 'wasting' time as you can actually be completing BIntStud units - even if they're electives.

antisheep

HSC
i just got an external transfer to law with a UAI of 91.85 and A high credit average... if your UAI is higher then you should have no worries... don't do DFEE... you don't want to start your career in 50 k worth of debt... just transfer... it shouldn't add too much time to your degree and you'll end up with the exact same qualification

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
antisheep said:
i just got an external transfer to law with a UAI of 91.85 and A high credit average... if your UAI is higher then you should have no worries... don't do DFEE... you don't want to start your career in 50 k worth of debt... just transfer... it shouldn't add too much time to your degree and you'll end up with the exact same qualification
HECS combined law leaves you almost $50k in debt.
DFEE is much more than that ^_^

maka

HSC
I look at it like this.

• CSP Law is $10,000 a year
  • DFEE Law is $20, 000 a year.

Lil Sandy.....
I dont mean to be patronising or anything to you or the universities I am about to mention but why not try Wollongong, Newcastle or even UWS. Sure, the prestige may not be there but if a career in LAW is your goal, they are worthy institutions to study at.

The internal transfer thing would have been great to know before I went to UTS Business in the first place. Seriously, I wasnt too uni savvy like that. Take all our information on board.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Postgrad Law is also an option (i.e. 3yr undergrad + ~2yr Postgrad Law something). From memory, it allows registration/'lawyerism'/whatever-it's-called, and seems to take about the same amount of time as the X+LAW undergrad double degrees (~5 yrs at MQ).

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
You don't even need a GPA >5 to transfer to a CSP place in Mac law

X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
Postgrad Law is also an option (i.e. 3yr undergrad + ~2yr Postgrad Law something). From memory, it allows registration/'lawyerism'/whatever-it's-called, and seems to take about the same amount of time as the X+LAW undergrad double degrees (~5 yrs at MQ).
It's called graduate law; postgrad law is doing a Master's.

MQ doesn't have real graduate law, it does offer grad law, but only externally (external LLB). To do grad law properly, you need to go to one of the other unis in Sydney; USyd offers a LLB, I think one of the unis offers a JD, UTS has its own version, etc.

There's also the offer of a DipLaw, which has the professional standing of a bachelor's, and this is offered through the Legal Practitioner's Admission Board through Sydney uni. Expensive and difficult option, though.

ari89 said:
You don't even need a GPA >5 to transfer to a CSP place in Mac law
1. I think most people would be surprised at the difference between the ease of transfer into any uni's law, and the difficulty of getting in straight through the HSC... What's your point...?

2. Where did you hear that? Proof, etc?

3. Noone here knows what a GPA >5 is, we have a different system... Is that like a credit average or something?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
1. I think most people would be surprised at the difference between the ease of transfer into any uni's law, and the difficulty of getting in straight through the HSC... What's your point...?

3. Noone here knows what a GPA >5 is, we have a different system... Is that like a credit average or something?
Sorry, a GPA <5 is a pass average in the 7GPA system. (4 = pass, 5=C, 6=D)
Proof: my friend who got a uai in the low 70's and a pass average in B Arts at UWS for the first year got in to combined law.

My point was pretty much - she shouldn't worry about transferring as it does not seem like the hardest task once you're no longer straight out of school.

X

xeuyrawp

Hmm, I'm really dubious about transfers.

Guy named ratty_boi or something got a UAI of like the low 50s, so he did SIBT (private business college on MQ campus), transfered to MQ business, then transfered to USyd Commerce (Liberal Studies) with something like a low credit average throughout. Quite perplexing.

Good on him, but still...

hannahxxx

HSC
PwarYuex said:

Yup predominantly credits, though some disctinctions would get you over the standardised gpa of 5 mark (worked this stuff out when I was trying to transfer last yr).
I would have to say that getting an INTERNAL transfer into law at mq is pretty darn easy ( depends on the yr of course). I got a place this yr in the quota, and when I was picking up my letter I snuck a peak at the book the woman had left open. The 30th person to get a place in the quota this yr had a mq gpa of 3 ( a credit average) and a uai of 88.15...not hard. And considering some people who applied internally would've got an external offer as well, a few people with below those marks just mentioned would have also got into the quota (seeing as those taking their external offer would've freed up a few more spots). Personally, I wouldn't pay for a dfee place, depends on whether you have the money and how passionate you are. A yr at uni goes pretty darn fast though :D

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
PwarYuex said:
It's called graduate law; postgrad law is doing a Master's... <snip>
I knew someone'd be able to help me out with that! Thanks Rob!
hannahxxx said:
A yr at uni goes pretty darn fast though :D
Not to be cynical, but wait 'till you're in 5th year... :)

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
I knew someone'd be able to help me out with that! Thanks Rob!
Grad law at Sydney's on my list of things to do if nothing goes as planned. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)