transfer into unsw law (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
The UNSW website said u will require a uai of 97 and distinction average, so does this mean that as long as your uai is over 97 and u have a distinction average in 1st year, u will make it in?? or are there more to it than this

OsamaBinLaden

Banned
HSC
Arithela said:
The UNSW website said u will require a uai of 97 and distinction average, so does this mean that as long as your uai is over 97 and u have a distinction average in 1st year, u will make it in?? or are there more to it than this
That's about it. Fill those requirements and you're in.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
way to state the obvious
Well, she is studying law at UNSW now so she does have some experience (came up against and defeated her in mooting :)).

(Even if yes, it is 'obvious')

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
I think you just do Non-Year 12 applicant..

And then you have to press next heaps when it asks you about overseas

at least thats what I did so it better be right. Good luck to us!

MJ13

HSC
Hey dude,
I went to a uni night at my school a couple of weeks ago and enquired about comb law
to get in,

if you get a UAI or 97+ then you take the first year of the combined part of the course (for me international studies) and if you average 70 (credit i think), you are assured a place for comb law the next year (second)

if your UAI is 95+ then you merely need to average 75 (distinction) for the first year and thne you are assured a place

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
say my uai is 98.7 and i got credit average for first year, would i have a slim chance of getting in unsw comb law? theres been mixed reviews on this, some ppl told me credit average is enough but others say you need distinction average

GenericStudent9

HSC
say my uai is 98.7 and i got credit average for first year, would i have a slim chance of getting in unsw comb law? theres been mixed reviews on this, some ppl told me credit average is enough but others say you need distinction average
This is entirely hearsay and speculation, so heed at your own discretion but a friend of mine who studies at UTS inquired last year and they said that they are preferential to current UNSW students. I know quite a few people who transfered from commerce to law but all of these were internal transfers, they had roughly 70ish WAM, nothing spectacular and a UAI of around 98. Again i stress, this is merely speculation.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
You should be fine. 98.70 is already an awesome mark. And with NRSL cut-offs it's 50% UAI and 50% 1st year subjects. If you want to make sure you get the transfer, aim for D's (low if need be) as with GPA's, the downside is a 75 = 84 (for D's) and (65=74's). Epic fail on the univeristies' part. But you stand a good chance. However keep in mind UNSW next year will have a preferential internal transfer system, so you'll be up against a bit more competition. Hope this helps you out, might see you around the Law building next year ;)

astroe

HSC
(Sorry to bump, but creating another thread on the same topic would be pointless)

Out of curiosity, what other faculty in the double degree should you be looking at in order to have a better chance at transferring?
I was thinking of doing Arts and working my ass off because it's easy apparently? Then applying to transfer into Arts/Law after the first year. The other option is Commerce but I'm not really sure about I'll do kickass in that.

So if any of you guys have transferred successfully in the past, what faculty/degree did you come from?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
(Sorry to bump, but creating another thread on the same topic would be pointless)

Out of curiosity, what other faculty in the double degree should you be looking at in order to have a better chance at transferring?
I was thinking of doing Arts and working my ass off because it's easy apparently? Then applying to transfer into Arts/Law after the first year. The other option is Commerce but I'm not really sure about I'll do kickass in that.

So if any of you guys have transferred successfully in the past, what faculty/degree did you come from?
I transferred from Com/Arts and I'm currently studying Com/Law. I have a couple of friends who were doing Com (Int), Com (Lib) and Arts who were also successful with their transfers. If you put in the effort, you'll do "kickass" in all your subjects.

You should be aiming for about a High Cr/Low D in order to be considered for a transfer place. Mind you, now that DFEE places are gone it is still just as competitive, so work hard in your first year.

Nothing's impossible. Always aim high :)

Hope this helps you out.

astroe

HSC
Ah, thanks. :)

But in all honesty, I'm in a position where if I get over 90 ATAR I'll be over the moon. :p
That means even if I get 90, I'm going to have to do a HD average aren't I?
Or it is more of a case where I should just give up?

AlexizzlyFizzly

HSC
i was doing comm (lib) and got UAI of 95.5 and wam of 84 and i got shit all.
even from uts.

the dial hath spun and it hath landed on 'dicked'.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Ah, thanks. :)

But in all honesty, I'm in a position where if I get over 90 ATAR I'll be over the moon. :p
That means even if I get 90, I'm going to have to do a HD average aren't I?
Or it is more of a case where I should just give up?
lol Asian parents tend to make you feel bad by going "No son, your subjects will only give you a UAI of 90 and below...". Just work hard and you'll be fine, and scaling is a whole different ball game with ATAR. Best of luck with your ATAR :)

If you get around 90, it mainly depends on your University marks as universities such as USYD and UNSW look at your HSC Mark and/or First year marks (To be honest it's your first year marks which are more important). So a D/HD average would be preferable. I'm not sure as to how (or when) the UNSW internal transfer system will operate but from what I know so far, it gives you a better opportunity in getting a place in combined law.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
i was doing comm (lib) and got UAI of 95.5 and wam of 84 and i got shit all.
even from uts.

the dial hath spun and it hath landed on 'dicked'.
That's unfortunate Alex. Maybe try again this year. USYD is allowing for transfers into combined law no matter which year of uni you're currently at :)

astroe

HSC
Thanks TehAzner.
That's slightly more reassuring. :p

But Alex, after seeing what you encountered, farrrrrkk. >.<
I'm feeling empathically disappointed, HAHA =.=
No hope arrrghhh.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)