Transfer into UNSW Medicine? (1 Viewer)

JustAPerfectionist

HSC
Hi! This is my first post! Also, it's my first thread!

I was wondering if it is possible to do a Bachelor of Medical Science or a double degree that consists of a Bachelor of Medical Science at a university like The University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) or Macquarie University (MQ) and then transfer into a Bachelor of Medical Science at The University of New South Wales (UNSW) and then transfer into Medicine at UNSW? I understand that I will have to do Undergraduate Medical and Health Professions Admission Test (UMAT) and get a high UMAT mark in the 90th percentiles to get an interview and do well in the interview to get accepted.

I'm asking this because I'm keen on Medicine, particularly keen on UNSW Medicine because it's the university that I want to go to, my dream university, at least I think it is, it is so far, right now. My ATAR isn't high enough for Medical Science at UNSW or The University of Sydney (USYD) but I don't want to do Medical Science at USYD because I can't transfer into Medicine as Medicine in USYD is postgraduate, not undergraduate like in UNSW. I understand that undergraduate is really difficult but I'm willing to give it a shot, I want to give it a shot. I don't mind postgraduate, but I would ideally prefer to do Medicine at UNSW.

Right now, I'm planning on going to UTS because that's the Medical Science course with the highest cut-off that I can get into. I'm also going to do a combined Bachelor of Engineering just to see if I'm interested in it, as I might be interested in it and it could be a field I go into in case I'm unable to get into medicine. The double degree I'm planning on doing is called the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Bachelor of Medical Science. Actually, I miss out on the Bachelor of Medical Science (the single degree) by only a little bit, including bonus points from subjects, but I could probably get in during the Main Rounds or later rounds but I would still do the double degree anyway. Bachelor of Medical Science at UTS is higher than the Bachelor of Medical Science at Macquarie and that's why I chose it but I'm also pretty sure that UTS is better than MQ for science and technology and that sort of stuff and I'm pretty sure that UTS is better than MQ for Medical Science.

The reason for my post is that UNSW says that to transfer from Medical Science at UNSW into Medicine, you must have 'completed all 8 core courses for Stage 2 of the BMedSc and all other required courses by the end of Year 2 of BMedSci program'. What is Stage 2? Is it just Year 2? I don't think it is because it's is worded differently. What is the difference? What are the 'all other required courses'? I'm not sure if transferring from Medical Science at another university such as UTS after the first year but doing the same course (Medical Science) in UNSW would mean that I completed 'all 8 core courses' if I continued it at UNSW and finish second year? Will I be able to complete the 'all other required courses'? Do I start in second Year Medical Science at UNSW if I transfer or do I go back to first year? If I go to second year by transferring from UTS Medical Science and finish second year, do the '8 core courses' and the 'all other required courses' get completed or not? Will I be able to complete the '8 core courses' and the 'all other required courses'? If not, then I won't be allowed to go into UNSW Medicine right? Are the '8 core courses' and the 'all other required courses' spread out over the two years like some are in the first year and some are in the second year? If some are in the first year, is it possible to complete them in the second year so that I can meet the criteria for the graduate entry scheme? It says that 'Selection will be on the basis of the weighted average mark for the first two years of BMedSc'? What if you did your first year at another university but it was still under a Bachelor of Medical Science (BMedSc) degree? Does it only use marks achieved in a BMedSc under UNSW? Will they consider and include marks done in a BMedSc degree at another university? Or does it only include the marks done under the BMedSc at UNSW?

I know that there are only up to 15 places available and you have to finish your Medical Science degree (third year) and do Honours (at least class II division 1) and it's pretty hard but I feel like it's worth doing, it's worth a try and I'm willing to give it a try for something that I want to do. I am also considering The University of Western Sydney (UWS) and I will try for UWS as well but I'm focusing on UNSW right now as it is the university I want to go to, my dream uni, and if I can't get in then I'll try to get into UWS Medicine, not that I won't try for it anyway, I will be applying for it and trying to get into it as well during my undergraduate years of study as UWS Medicine is also an undergraduate degree (not that I really care if it is undergraduate or not since the Medical Science way at UNSW is a graduate way, a graduate entry scheme, called 'The Graduate Entry Scheme for UNSW Medicine') but I'm mainly focused on trying to get into UNSW Medicine. I would really prefer to do Medicine at UNSW.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Links:
https://med.unsw.edu.au/selection-criteria-local-applicants
https://med.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/_local_upload/others/Graduate-Entry-Stream-v7.pdf

6/01/2015 Edit: The option that I'm considering where you transfer from BMedSc into Medicine is a called a 'lateral entry'. And starting from 2015, only 10 students will be accepted and taken in, instead of 15.

Last edited:

BlugyBlug

HSC
Yep, you can transfer into UNSW medical science and from there on transfer into Medicine if you do well.

The only issue you might have is transferring credits over from UTS medsci to UNSW medsci. There is a chance that you'll have to redo certain subjects after you've transferred, even if you've done them at UTS. I can't say which courses are 'transferrable' as that's pretty specific information.

bangladesh

HSC
Yep, you can transfer into UNSW medical science and from there on transfer into Medicine if you do well.

The only issue you might have is transferring credits over from UTS medsci to UNSW medsci. There is a chance that you'll have to redo certain subjects after you've transferred, even if you've done them at UTS. I can't say which courses are 'transferrable' as that's pretty specific information.
Are you sure that you can do that for lateral entry? I would think that they'd expect lateral entry applicants to be in medsci for both years.

nearlythere2000

HSC
N/A
I would suggest calling up and asking if you are still eligible for the graduate entry program if you've transferred from another university. If you're allowed, you'll then have to make sure that the courses you did at UTS are transferrable as the courses you would have done at UNSW (Year 1: BABS1201, SCIF1111 etc. Year 2: PHSL2201, MICR2011 etc.) to meet the requirements for completing core courses up to stage 2 (which is second year).

I haven't heard of any transfers from another university applying to the lateral entry program, so I can't help you there.

Also, just letting you know they have changed the graduate program so for students starting in 2015 onwards, up to 10 spots will be available (not all of these spots have to be filled either).

JustAPerfectionist

HSC

Are you sure? Do you know anyone who has done this? I've looked online and nobody has done this, well at least I can't find anyone. I hope that you're right though!

JustAPerfectionist

HSC
Are you sure that you can do that for lateral entry? I would think that they'd expect lateral entry applicants to be in medsci for both years.
This is what I was thinking. I was thinking that you'd have to be in UNSW Medical Science for first two/both years. But I haven't found anything on the internet confirming nor denying it. I don't know if I'm like the first person to think like this like transferring from Medical Science at another university like UTS into Medical Science at UNSW then transferring into UNSW Medicine. Maybe I'm missing something? I feel like I'm missing some information? I don't know...

JustAPerfectionist

HSC
I would suggest calling up and asking if you are still eligible for the graduate entry program if you've transferred from another university. If you're allowed, you'll then have to make sure that the courses you did at UTS are transferrable as the courses you would have done at UNSW (Year 1: BABS1201, SCIF1111 etc. Year 2: PHSL2201, MICR2011 etc.) to meet the requirements for completing core courses up to stage 2 (which is second year).

I haven't heard of any transfers from another university applying to the lateral entry program, so I can't help you there.

Also, just letting you know they have changed the graduate program so for students starting in 2015 onwards, up to 10 spots will be available (not all of these spots have to be filled either).
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to call them up. I haven't transferred yet but I hope to in the future. Hopefully, my courses will count. If my courses don't count though, would I still move to second year if I wanted to transfer? Would it be possible to go to first year? I'm not really too sure how the whole transferring from courses works, whether the courses are similar or different.

I haven't heard of any transfers from another university either, attempting to transfer into UNSW Medical Science to then transfer through the lateral entry program into UNSW Medicine. I guess that's why I posted. I will definitely be calling though!

Also, thanks, completely forgot about it being reduced to 10 and yes, I know that all the spots don't have to be filled, I guess that's what 'up to' means. I read it somewhere before, can't remember but I'm pretty sure it was on a forum like Bored of Studies or Whirlpool or Med Students Online, pretty sure it was Bored of Studies, and not on the UNSW Medicine Selection Criteria page (https://med.unsw.edu.au/selection-criteria-local-applicants) but when I as typing my post, like my thread, I just forgot about it and I was referring to the Selection Criteria which I didn't know that the information was posted on and I must've skipped it. Thank you for reminding me. I edited my thread/post.

JustAPerfectionist

HSC

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to call them up. I haven't transferred yet but I hope to in the future. Hopefully, my courses will count. If my courses don't count though, would I still move to second year if I wanted to transfer? Would it be possible to go to first year? I'm not really too sure how the whole transferring from courses works, whether the courses are similar or different.

I haven't heard of any transfers from another university either, attempting to transfer into UNSW Medical Science to then transfer through the lateral entry program into UNSW Medicine. I guess that's why I posted. I will definitely be calling though!

Also, thanks, completely forgot about it being reduced to 10 and yes, I know that all the spots don't have to be filled, I guess that's what 'up to' means. I read it somewhere before, can't remember but I'm pretty sure it was on a forum like Bored of Studies or Whirlpool or Med Students Online, pretty sure it was Bored of Studies, and not on the UNSW Medicine Selection Criteria page (https://med.unsw.edu.au/selection-criteria-local-applicants) but when I as typing my post, like my thread, I just forgot about it and I was referring to the Selection Criteria which I didn't know that the information was posted on and I must've skipped it. Thank you for reminding me. I edited my thread/post.

Medman

HSC
Best ask the uni and you still need to go through an interview for lateral entry. I don't think you need UMAT though.

Starling

HSC
N/A
what was your atar and umat score and have you considered redoing hsc

Starling

HSC
N/A
For me med at unsw would be a dream come true but my atar was just on 90s and umat was in 50s
Im personally looking at doing an advanced science degreee and apply for postgrad med

the reason why i suggested repeating hsc as it would be more convienet to get a higher atar to get into unsw then through medical science, due to the competitiveness in medical science (my assumption though) and also if that pathway does not workout medical science degree in itself from what i know has limited job prospects

whatever you do though, you need to consider what your motivation for doing med and whether you will be prepared for whatever hardships would come ahead of you on the road to get there
but good luck for everything
"there's always as another way if you open your mind to the possibilites" ;)

HSC
you can only get into lateral entry if you don't take credit transfer and 'repeat' first year. I contacted them since I was in the same position and they said people with credit transfer into med sci at unsw aren't eligible for the med grad stream.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)