Transfer/Postgrad: Time for completion? (1 Viewer)

michaeln36

HSC
a) So, if u miss out on getting straight into law, and start say a commerce degree, then have the required UAI + GPA, and have completed one year of commerce, then transfer into commerce/law combined, does it take more than the 5 years to finish ? (ie. the 5 years that it would take if u got into commerce/law straight off).

b) And say u cant transfer in after 1 year, then finish your commerce degree (3 years) and get the GPA to do law post-grad. Does the law degree then take a further 3 years normally, or can u do it in 2?

thanks

M@C D@DDY

HSC
Re: Transfers into law ...?

a) no, it takes the same time

b) It will take six years if you do post grad law

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Yep. Pretty straightforward really.

If you want to estimate your chances on transferring, the law guide in these forums has info on that.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

a) Yeah transfering into Law/ Commerce means ur commerce units would be counted since you have already done some. I'm not sure how it works for you guys but at UWS the first year course for law is two law units, two non law units per semster. So you having done straight commerce (i.e. 4 commerce units per semester) will have done all the commerce you need for first year law, so then when u transfer into law you will do the standard first law units and most likely some second year ones, then the following year you will technically actually be in 3rd year so essentially you have caught up, your course structure might be a little different thats all (maybe 3rd year law units and a 2nd year one). I hope that made sense.

b) 3 years, the difference is in a combined degree they count some of your law subjects as credit points for the non law degree, even though they spread it over three years (at my uni this differs) you arent doing as many units as someone else doing that non law degree on its own.

michaeln36

HSC
Re: Transfer/Postgrad: Time for completion

so could deffering entrance into law actually help you?
since you would have university experience with your first degree, making it slightly easier for your law part of the degree.
Or even transfering in after 1 year, u would be a year older, a little smarter, a little more mature, and have an understanding how university testing works.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

Obviously I don't know what it is like being a grad law student but I can explain what I have observed in my classes. I find that the grad students and those who are mature aged or transfer students often appear 'smarter', why? because they have life experience and find it easier to cope with university because of previous study or experiences in the work place, this doesn't really make them smart, I just think they find settling into the course a bit easier.

I find my difficulties in the law degree don't lie with the content (don't get me wrong its not easy) but in the transition from High School to University, a double degree is demanding and trying to manage it as well as the different expectations you face at university can be hard. I am finding though as time passes and I get more and more used to university I am finding things easier and enjoying it a lot more.

Right now I am doing an assignment and I am not finding the content hard, but the fact that I don't know what the markers expect etc.

I suppose then doing another degree which obviously will still have its difficulties for a year or longer will mean that if you transfer into a double degree or a grad degree (both of which are demanding) you may be used to university of have some knowledge which will be of help, but in the end each degree is different and somethings extend across degrees and others don't - take referencing, I am currently doing units across three diciplines and they each use a different form of referencing :eek:

I don't know if that really answers your question, maybe I am just procrastinating from my assignment. I would take the quicker option considering the amount of time my chosen career path will take but its up to you and your circumstances what you chose to do. Good Luck :D

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC

^A double degree is no more demanding than a single one. Its the same subject load, just a difference in the length of your degree.

Coming from someone with experience of both.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

I didn't say one was more demanding than the other though. I do find though my law subjects more demanding than my social science ones...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC

I just wasn't sure if you might have been one of those people under the impression that a double degree was more work than a single. When as far as subject load goes, its not.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

No probs, yeah I know everyone does 4 units double dgree or single, the only way we get away with one year less is some law units are credited to your non law degree :)

michaeln36

HSC

ahhhh

so the subject load for law/commerce is just the same as say plain commerce, it just takes 5 years instead of 6 because u can count some credit points towards each of your degrees, rather than just used for 1 ... !! sounds good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)