• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Transfer Question (1 Viewer)

Bluebeard Sally

HSC
Was just wondering about transferring.

At the moment I am enrolled in a B.A. (2nd year), and want to transfer to BA - Psych for the coming semester. I meet all the requirements, and was just wondering if its wise to change subjects before I get the official transfer letter? Is it a straight transfer between these? Or, even though I meet the requirements, is there a chance I may not get in?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Bluebeard Sally said:
Was just wondering about transferring.

At the moment I am enrolled in a B.A. (2nd year), and want to transfer to BA - Psych for the coming semester. I meet all the requirements, and was just wondering if its wise to change subjects before I get the official transfer letter? Is it a straight transfer between these? Or, even though I meet the requirements, is there a chance I may not get in?

Thanks for any help with these questions.
If the transfer requirement is still just GPA based this year and not quota based, then you should be fine and there is no chance you won't get in. However, the student enquiry service should be your first port of call.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I wouldnt change units until you get that official letter, and eStudent lets you enrol in psych subjects.

Its a pretty popular degree, with quite a high quota, both in internal transfers, and external transfers (ie. people transferring from other uni's to MQ). Therefore, there is always a chance you wont get in; someone may have a higher GPA, and therefore will get preference. They apparently get this all the time in Psych Honours - the GPA requirement is 3.25, but even if you have that GPA, you are not guaranteed a spot, as there is just such a high demand to do it - most students realistically need a GPA of 3.5 to get a look-in.

As G2G said, talk to the SES.

Good luck - psych is awesome; great choice! :D

Bluebeard Sally

HSC
Thanks for the advice.

I can't do psych subjects in the coming semester anyway, but just wanted to get Stat170 out of the way.

Yeah, I juuust got above the GPA requirement of 2.5 (I got 2.52), and by the ways things read on the psych website assumed that was all that was needed. (As well as the 12 credit point thing). It didn't mention a quota, but I'll speak to SES all the same.

Does anyone know how soon they process transfer requests? When should I be expecting a letter?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Bluebeard Sally said:
Thanks for the advice.

I can't do psych subjects in the coming semester anyway, but just wanted to get Stat170 out of the way.

Yeah, I juuust got above the GPA requirement of 2.5 (I got 2.52), and by the ways things read on the psych website assumed that was all that was needed. (As well as the 12 credit point thing). It didn't mention a quota, but I'll speak to SES all the same.

Does anyone know how soon they process transfer requests? When should I be expecting a letter?
Err did you fill out a form at e-student and did they process it in front of you? because thats what they did when i transfered to bba/arts-psyche, i was pretty surprised.... it took an awfl lot of thinking through and then all of a sudden the guy in front of me goes.. okay its in.. and im like "are you sure?" and he's like yep "is that all?" and he's like "yep" .... so yeh if its processes i don't see why u can't change subjects now, especially if e student lets u

who else is havign trouble getting into e student at the moment, far out!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
They apparently get this all the time in Psych Honours - the GPA requirement is 3.25, but even if you have that GPA, you are not guaranteed a spot, as there is just such a high demand to do it - most students realistically need a GPA of 3.5 to get a look-in.
Wow, that's really...lame. They should just say it's quota based and say you need a 3.25 to be competitive. I've always assumed that if it's GPA based, you're guaranteed and the division just had to deal with the numbers..

Bluebeard Sally

HSC
clairegirl said:
Err did you fill out a form at e-student and did they process it in front of you? because thats what they did when i transfered to bba/arts-psyche, i was pretty surprised.... it took an awfl lot of thinking through and then all of a sudden the guy in front of me goes.. okay its in.. and im like "are you sure?" and he's like yep "is that all?" and he's like "yep" .... so yeh if its processes i don't see why u can't change subjects now, especially if e student lets u

who else is havign trouble getting into e student at the moment, far out!
I filled out a transfer form and handed it into SES, and she just put it on a pile. So, unfortunately no, it was'nt processed in front of me. Thanks for the help guys.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
GoodToGo said:
Wow, that's really...lame. They should just say it's quota based and say you need a 3.25 to be competitive. I've always assumed that if it's GPA based, you're guaranteed and the division just had to deal with the numbers..
Well essentially all transfers are subject to some form of quota, but I assume due to the nature of Psych (with B A-Psyc/B Sc-Psych/B Psych (Hons)) that it has quite a high interest both from within and externally.

Bluebeard Sally

HSC
Thanks for the help guys.

Just looked at e-student then, and saw I have been admitted to BA-Psych!

So, I really had nothing to be worried about.

Thanks for the info though!

X

xeuyrawp

Bluebeard Sally said:
Thanks for the help guys.

Just looked at e-student then, and saw I have been admitted to BA-Psych!

So, I really had nothing to be worried about.

Thanks for the info though!
I still haven't been transferred back to my original degree.... Oh dear.

I suppose it should happen soon? Mike?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Why are you giving up on law, Rob? Surely Archana didn't scare you that badly :p

Congrats Sally :D

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
I wouldnt change units until you get that official letter, and eStudent lets you enrol in psych subjects.

Its a pretty popular degree, with quite a high quota, both in internal transfers, and external transfers (ie. people transferring from other uni's to MQ). Therefore, there is always a chance you wont get in; someone may have a higher GPA, and therefore will get preference. They apparently get this all the time in Psych Honours - the GPA requirement is 3.25, but even if you have that GPA, you are not guaranteed a spot, as there is just such a high demand to do it - most students realistically need a GPA of 3.5 to get a look-in.

As G2G said, talk to the SES.

Good luck - psych is awesome; great choice! :D

i actually talked to Janna from psychology (the honours course) and the gpa of 3.25 is the real cut off to be allowed in the honours course. I found this suprising too, because i also thought it was more competitive than that.

X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
Why are you giving up on law, Rob? Surely Archana didn't scare you that badly :p

Congrats Sally :D
I'd like to say that it wasn't what I expected. It was. In hindsight, the worst thing about it was the students, no offense. My juris class was such a wank-off; the students were such unfriendly competitive prats, and nasty South Africans. </3 South Africa.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I'd like to say that it wasn't what I expected. It was. In hindsight, the worst thing about it was the students, no offense. My juris class was such a wank-off; the students were such unfriendly competitive prats, and nasty South Africans. </3 South Africa.
Yes! I've seen that too, it seems there are quite a large number of students who think they are King Shit because they are in Law. You need to find the 'normal' students, who aren't up themselves, and are helpful, and hold study groups together, where most of the time is spent gossiping and eating chocolate.

I have two really great friends in law; I wish there were more like them, but they just dont seem to exist. The rest, as you said, are uncooperative, unfriendly, and have their heads so far up their ass all that comes out of their mouth is crap.

I dont know which type are worse: those who think they know everything and dont, or those who are smart and know it.

And I agree: South African's shit me to tears. As do German exchange students :burn:

Oh well, you can always go and do post grad ;)

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
MaryJane said:
I dont know which type are worse: those who think they know everything and dont, or those who are smart and know it.
I'd say the former are worse... if you're gonna have to spend 2 hrs with these people for 13 weeks, it's atleast useful if they know what their talking about.

Also, for those doing law and looking for texts, I found this handy little website which offers law texts 20% off. Happy hunting.

www.lawbooks.com.au

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
I remember in my law114 class (last year), there was this girl that would never shut up. But the funny thing was that she was definitely the type of person who thought she knew everything but knew very little. She was very ignorant and committed so many fallacies it was so damn annoying.
Well if you think that you should have shut her down. That was half the fun of Juris...shutting them up by pointing out the inherent stupidity of their argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)